• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci Fi Review, January 15th

tkd lisa

An old school dis boarder
We went over to WDW for a day trip on MLK day. I had called Wednesday of the previous week and was offered a variety of lunch times for the party of 5 I was booking. I took the 1:45 ADR.

Diners: Myself, 42, 3rd time at Sci Fi
DD, 14 1/2, 3rd time at Sci Fi
DS, 13, 3rd time at Sci Fi
DS's Girlfriend, 13, first time at Sci Fi

The fifth member of our party (DD's friend) couldn't make it at the last minute. On the way over, we were talking about our lunch plans, and DS's girlfriend says "We almost never eat at Disney." Now this family has had APs since this child was in 2nd grade, and they visit fairly frequently! I said "You mean, you just get CS, right?" She said "No, we usually stay an hour or two, then get something on our way home." Well, she was in for a surprise with our family! I was glad I picked a fun place for us!

We all met up at the restaurant about 1:30 and gave them our name. We were seated in about 10 minutes. I had grabbed a menu while we waited so that DS's girlfriend could actually see the choices.

My family are very light eaters, and we usually split meals. I explained this to the girlfriend (who's also a light eater), and she was okay with that. Usually at Sci Fi, DS orders ribs, DD orders penne pasta, and I share off both their plates. I asked the girlfriend if she liked ribs. "Umm, no. I usually just get a hamburger." So being the gallant gentleman that I've raised (insert gagging smilie here!) he agreed to share a bacon burger with his girlfriend. He did convince me he should get a shake since he wasn't getting his favorite meal!

About the time we decided all this, we were paged (really just had our name called) to go in. We were at a typical car table pretty close to the kitchen entrance. They seated a young couple in the backseat about the same time. Tony was our server and he was training somebody (never did catch his name). He stopped by and said he'd be a few minutes, and he was back in about 5. Our orders were placed (DD - coke w/ penne pasta, me - chili served with the meals (plus an extra plate) and ice water, DS and girlfriend - bacon burger split and an oreo shake for each of them), and he was off.

The drinks were out quickly (and were kept full), and Tony told me he thought he had been our server before. I think he took care of us last March, so he had a GOOD memory! He said that I had a memorable face! Not sure if that's a compliment or not. The love birds were really enjoying their shakes!

The food was out in about 10 minutes, and they had already split the burger onto two plates with lots of fries on each. The chili was a little different from the last time I had it. The tortilla chips were strips that were already on top of the chili at serving, instead of triangles surrounding the bowl. It was excellent, and piping hot! The backside enjoyed their burgers. I did notice there was quite a bit of bacon. DD put her tomatos on my plate, then started on her pasta. The shrimp was really good sized, and there was quite a bit of it. She ate all but one shrimp, and about 1/2 the pasta then she was full. I ate about 1/2 of what was left, and I noticed that the sauce wasn't as tasty as the other times we've had it. It seemed thinner, almost watered down. But the shrimp was better, so overall it evened out.

Everyone was completely full, so we passed on dessert. I have the DDE card, and my total with tip ended up about $50 which was a good value for the meal. This isn't on our agenda every trip, but I enjoy taking new people there, just for the novelty of it.

One minor note was that the restaurant has always been VERY cold every time we've eaten there. DS's girlfriend ended up borrowing his long sleeved over-shirt (he had a tshirt on too), and I was chilly myself!

Great review, thanks! We have a dinner ADR for here in May when we visit. I am really looking forward.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter