Saratoga Springs - The Good The Bad The Brilliant

Staceyl0u

Mouseketeer
Hi all we are going to be staying in Saratoga Springs for 8 nights in October, as we have a park planned for every day I dont expect to do much but sleep there, but so we dont miss out, what are your favourite, pools, areas, things to do, eat, spa treatments etc

Please tell me everything I want to make the most of our time here even if it is only half an hour at midnight every evening!!!

Hopefully others can later use this thread as a compiled list of everything SSR!!

Even if you are only there as you come and go from the parks, you will enjoy the beautiful landscape and the community feel! SSR is very relaxing.

We stayed there in March and I was nervous as people sometimes give SSR a bad rap, but we LOVED it. We stayed at Congress Park and could walk to DTD. We loved the new Paddock pool and the main pool too.
I would love to stay there again.

We stayed in the Paddock section before the new pool was built and loved it. We were near the walkway across the lake, the quiet pool and a bus stop.

Check out the spa. I had a facial and it was well worth it.

The boat to DTD is also very relaxing. You can also rent boats if you like.

We got off the bus in the Congress Park section just to walk along the water and see what that section was like.

We found all the CMs to be extremely nice and helpful as well.

VERY quiet!
Hot tub at main pool is wonderful.
Clean, beautiful and spacious.
Lots of parking very close to the rooms.

Limited food selections at CS.
Theming is subtle--not over the top (can be a positive or a negative or just a comment!)
Can be quite a hike (or bus ride) from distant buildings to main building/CS/pool/front desk.

You will enjoy it!

I have stayed at SSR for 5 vacations, 6 if you count our stay at the Treehouses. We have stayed in all sections except Carousel.

Favorite pool is the Congress Park quiet pool (we have adult children and have not stayed here with our grandchildren). Favorite section to stay is Paddock or Congress Park.

The spa is nice; I visit it at least twice on every vacation. My favorite treatment is probably just the basic Swedish massage; I didn't think the Mystical Therapy one was worth the upcharge. I thought the facial was decent, the wrap was ok, but I once had a scrub there that I thought was pretty mediocre.

I think the Turf Club TS restaurant here is a hidden gem for Disney casual dining. Nothing jumps out as a must have but everything I've tried has been decent and the setting is very nice. The counter service choices at Artist's Palette are decent but the choices are pretty limited and the set up is confusing.

The grounds are gorgeous and it's a very nice walk to DTD from any section. Many people say that it's too spread out and it's a long walk from point A to point B but I haven't thought it was any worse than AKV or BWI.

We stayed here for one night before a cruise in May and LOVED IT!!!! I only wanted to stay here because DH wanted to eat at DTD. We had a studio in Congress Park. It was a nice walk DTD and the resort was very peaceful and relaxing. Our room showed small signs of wear and tear but it was VERY clean and comfy so we didn't mind....we barely even noticed!! They are working on a rehab of all the rooms now...I think they should all be finished sometime next spring?? The quiet pool in Congress park was awesome and we loved the hot tub! We didn't get to try any of the other pools, but we are booked again for 3 nights in Sept so I hope to do more exploring.

I can't comment on the food since we ate at DTD. IDK about the buses since we did not do any parks, sorry. Have a great time!! :wave2:

Like everything about SSR. Love the decor, the quiet, the pools.

The spa is fabulous and I think that Artist Pallette is the best counter service of any resort.

Great thread :) My sister and I are staying at SSR in December and have heard nothing but good things - but like OKW, it seems to be forgotten when people talk about hotels. It's nice to hear some more positive feedback :thumbsup2

I LOVE SSR, it is such a lovely resort! Every where you walk is beautifully landscaped, and it just has such a calm, refined vibe. Staying there really feels like an escape from your everyday life.

I love the flatbreads at Artists Palate, with the buffalo chicken being a personal fav, but the sandwiches are good too! The Turf club is really an under appreciated WDW restaurant, the lamb chops are delicious!

I think having boat/walking access to DTD is awesome, it really opens up your choices for dining and night time entertainment (it was a bummer when PI closed, but I'm looking forward to splitsville).

I also think the pools are fantastic, there is a great variety of pools, with the high springs pool, the paddock pool and the grandstands pools being personal favorites. You could go to a different pool every day and feel like you are at a different resort!

The one thing I don't like (but this is pretty standard across Disney property) is that Artist Palate doesn't open until 7 AM. When my DS is up at 5 am, I would really like a coffee, or access to the fountain drinks for my mug, earlier than 7. All the rooms have coffee makers, so I can just make my own, but I'm on vacation, I want other people to do it for me! :laughing:

Wow thanks for all the replys! And all the positive feedback, I'm so excited now I cant wait another 117 days!! I think the layed back feel with beautiful landscapes will fit us perfectly, and who knows maybe we will be one of the lucky ones and get an updated room. :goodvibes I think we will eat in a park each day but its nice to know DTD is so close as well, I feel we may have missed out on that if it had been a car journey away due to limited time. :confused3

SSR is within walking distance of Downtown Disney. I like going there to walk around. SSR keeps growing, so even just taking a nice walk at night is a suggestion.

You've probably picked the ideal resort to relax and chill out. We are DVC members and SSR is our home resort and we love the quietness (which some people don't like) and because it's so big, the landscape is lovely and I suggest you take a bike ride round the resort.
Pool wise we go to the quiet pool at Congress Park area of SSR because it's always empty and enjoy just sitting beside the pool reading my Ereader and the views overlooking Lake Beuna Vista are really AMAZING!
Hope you really enjoy the resort! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter