San Antonio, TX suggestions?

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
We are doing a quick, adults-only visit to San Antonio between Christmas and New Year's.

Looking for suggestions for not to miss restaurants or attractions. We are staying right on the Riverwalk at the Drury Inn & Suites.

TIA~

LOL I hate Casa Rio! I think it's completely overrated and over priced, but the view is fantastic! Take the boat ride, it's touristy but worth it. For BBQ, go to Rudy's. OMG the brisket, can't be beat!

LOL I hate Casa Rio! I think it's completely overrated and over priced, but the view is fantastic! Take the boat ride, it's touristy but worth it. For BBQ, go to Rudy's. OMG the brisket, can't be beat!

I agree...if you have to do a touristy place, then Mi Tierra Cafe is better. it is to the West of the Riverwalk near Market Square. You can Uber over there (parking is nuts).

Now since we live in Austin, and can get BBQ and TexMed anywhere (if we WANT BBQ, Lockhart is our vacation spot), our favorite San Antonio haunts are places that serve other options:

Our favorite place is the Liberty Bar in the King William District, just south of downtown on Alamo Street...we especially love their Saturday and Sunday brunches, but they are fantastic all the time.

Also on Alamo street, still south of downtown, but closer to the Riverwalk is a wonderful place, La Frite Belgian Bistro. it is right next to The House: Boozy Ice Cream & Brews...an icecream parlor that has alcoholic icecream. YUM!

As for things to see, right off the Riverwalk is La Villita Historic Arts Village for shopping. The Menger Hotel is historic (Theodore Roosevelt recruited some of his Rough Riders in the bar at the hotel) and is right next door to the Alamo...of course there is the Alamo, but the other Missions that make up the San Antonio Missions National Park are my favorites.

Head over to The Pearl District and try Cured, Il Sogno, or Supper... Bohanon's for steak. Big no for Casa Rio, only Riverwalk restaurant I can recommend is Boudro's.

On the Riverwalk visit Esquire Tavern just across the river from Drury Inn

In Market Square we like La Margarita's menu over Mi Tierra...both owned by the same family

Schilo's for breakfast/lunch and Guenther House for breakfast. Skip the Drury Inn breakfast as it is nothing to write home about.....

Burgers try The Cove...organic burgers with live entertainment, laundry, car wash, and restaurant.

Chris Madrid's for a massive Tostada Burger.

x2 for Mi Tierra Cafe. We went to San Antonio over the Thanksgiving weekend and we enjoyed the drinks and dinner there so much so went back a couple days later for the breakfast and pastries. As for attractions besides the Alamo check out the Main Plaza where at night they do a light show projected onto the beautiful San Fernando Cathedral.

Go Buffs! :cheer2:

My son is traveling down to watch the Alamo Bowl after Christmas. So glad to have some great advice on where to go and what to see.

Last edited:
If Sea World is closed while you are there, the behind the scenes tour is fun and an amazing value. About $20 a person and you get to feed the animals, touch the dolphins, visit the veterinary tanks, etc. We loved it!

I echo the thoughts above. The river walk is fun, but casa rio and other restaurants down there are bad tourist food. Mi Tierra and market square are a neat little Mexican market area- yummy cheese enchiladas. The coolest part of town for adults by far is going to be the Pearl. Great atmosphere and food with lots of great choices- you can look up the Pearl online to get a good sense of what they have. Rosarios just south of downtown has good Tex-mex. If you want to get away for a nice breakfast, the Guenther House (not Gunter hotel which some people get confused) south of downtown on S Alamo st is excellent (go early or be prepared to wait). The river walk boat tour is a relaxing way to take in the sights and it's only about an hour long. Have fun!

Boudros on the river walk. Not far from your hotel. On the new part of the river walk, Pearl Brewery area, La Gloria. That is authentic Mexican streeet foods with an awesome Prickly Pear margarita.

Chris Madrids for burgers. Magnolia for pancake breakfast. Both of those require a car,especially Magnolia.

Following this thread we hope to be going close to San Antonio, Tx in a few months. Our grandson will be graduating from Ft Sam Houston. Will try to stay a few days longer and see the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter