• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Royal Plaza DTD - mixed review

Cinderellafifi

<font color=CC66CC>Remembers people walking around
We were lucky enough to get Mousesaver rates for Hotel Royal Plaza and just returned from a four-night stay during Thanksgiving.

I used to be a huge fan of this hotel and had not been back since the renovation. I was disappointed.

Our tower room was VERY small. Yes, it does sleep 5 (two double beds and a pull out couch), but the room hardly fit 2 adults and 2 kids! The closet was a stand alone, about 36 inches by 36 inches - small! And since it did not have a safe inside, you would think there would be a little more space, but that did not help. We used each dresser drawer provided since the closet was so small and had to keep our shoes in the luggage. Not having a safe in the room meant we had to use the safety deposit box in the lobby - free but not as convenient because we had to wait for assistance each time we went to the box.

We did get free breakfast each day and it was good. But I had to fight to get my breakfast coupons - they were not ready upon check-in and despite being promised them by 10 PM (5 hours later!), we had to go down again and request them. The restaurant is small, but it was fine for breakfast each day. We did not eat any other meal there.

Our balcony slider door was only permitted to open about 6 inches. I am guessing this is a safety issue. Our room did overlook the pool and offered a nice view.

The bathroom was large but POORLY lit. And there was no other vanity or mirror in the room, so getting ready in the morning either meant no privacy or a longer wait for each other.

Housekeeping was hit or miss each day. Bell services was great, however.

The hotel ROOM was NOT worth the extra money paid to be in the tower if I only had a choice of staying at Royal Plaza. But since I could have gotten the huge room across the street at Best Western, I don't think I made the right choice even staying at RP. Best Western is not new and there are issues, but there is plenty of space for everyone when using the fantastic upgrade to oversized room with Mousesavers rate. Again, that is only comparing the two for value on room size.

Darn, and I'm staying there for the first night of my upcoming Jan golf trip too since my own place is booked up that night... but...at least it's only 1 night... and my friend has a huge block of rooms reserved so 1 night is only $65.

Is it in walking distance from DTD? Pleasure Island? We're heading down for a guy's golf weekend, and plan on hitting some "adult" activities, and it would be great to be able to walk to Pleasure Island on Fri PM and not have to worry about driving home!!

We stayed at Royal Plaza nov 28th in the exective suite on the 9th floor with a dtd and wdw view. Loved the room. The br was small and had to watch your shins at night if you had to go to the br. But loved all the pillows,I was going through pillow withdraw. I have to have alot of them in order to sleep. The bed was confortable and the room was cleaned the way I requested no bleach cause I have asthma and they use bleach. I had my coupons and the breakfast was very good. The personal needs an overhaul there. The front desk person was very nice and apologized for the strong bleach smell in the lobby.Stayed there nov 30th in the premier tower room and that was on the 12th floor. That had a sitting area and the view of orlando was very nice. We had a party of 4 staying here and it was no problem. Enjoyed the whirlpool bath ,but it is very noisy. It was very quiet on the floors and we all enjoyed our stay and again ate breakfast there. I would go there again in a heartbeat.I got my rates through mousesavers and thats why I went there to stay.So I say try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter