• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Room upgrades at check in???

Well said, Maria. Definitely answers the original question! I have been a Loews First member since 2001 and one of the benefits, indeed, is a free upgrade (in this case a better view room) when available. My favorite benefit is the cookies and milk at check-in, but I digress ;)

Maria is 100% correct, you must mention you are a Loews First Member and inquire about the upgrade. Since they put this blatantly on their website, I do not think anyone at the front desk would internally berate you for this since it is part of the program. A club level is unlikely if you are a new member, but you could very well get a better view.

If you are not yet a Loews First Member, you can simply sign up on their website ahead of time. They will send you a card in the mail. If you do not receive it before your trip, simply bring the ID number they assign you. When filling out the form, you can also indicate what types of pillows, what newspaper, and what check-in "perk" you prefer (cookies & milk, water, and there might be something about fruit - I can't remember...).

I hope you get your upgrade and have a wonderful trip!

Thanks! All I really want is a great view and to be somewhere quiet yet close to the water taxi or walking path. I would hope that I wouldn't be "berated" for really just wanting that.:upsidedow

Thanks! All I really want is a great view and to be somewhere quiet yet close to the water taxi or walking path. I would hope that I wouldn't be "berated" for really just wanting that.:upsidedow

I ask for Tower 1 if it is available. Gorgeous water views, and a quick walk through the pool area to the water taxi...

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Maria :upsidedow

I am sure it gets old working at a front desk and dealing with the entitlement mentality of folks who want something for nothing.........

As a uk member and staying for the first time on universal property I joined the loews loyalty programme.I cant recall it mentioning pillows,cookies and milk etc,just the newspaper desired. We have booked a waterview queen and I am contemplating booking club.If I dont book it now I will pay at the desk if I decide to have it.Would not expect it free. Have never been upgraded at disney hotels even when we got married there when a boy celebrating his 5th birthday in the next queue did. Suppose it depend on the CM but I got what I paid for and didnt expect anymore. I remember paying over £500 to upgrade our flights and there were a few empty seats so they bought a family of four up stairs as the mother was apparently claustrophobic!!!!!!! Hence they got free upgrade. I was a bit annoyed as paid all that money and sureley she would have known she was claustrophobic especially on her 4th trip to florida:confused3 She seemed very happy to me and was up about chatting. I on the otherhand have to take diazapam to fly and was sat rigid for 8 hrs:lmao:
Its my 40th birthday trip this year and whilst I am at Royal pacific but I wont ask for an upgrade.It will be on my booking but I will not ask for an upgrade. If it is offered then fine but happy just to be staying there to be honest.:banana:

"Qualify"??? Why not just PAY for the room category you can afford and enjoy yourself.:thumbsup2

at last, someone i can relate to. i "qualified" for an upgrade at pofq because leander had her birthday on may 10. the reason i qualified? simple. i typed in a 16 digit number on the front of my credit card along with the security number on the back at the time of booking. my standard booking was instantly "upgraded" to a king bed. result. its the same on planes, i paid big money to fly upstairs with virgin atlantic and i accept that operational upgrades are one thing, but to get a free upgrade because someone sings happy birthday to you or you stood alongside your partner a few years back while all your family and friends were waiting for the all-dayer to come, is an insult to your fellow travellers or hotel-mates. id happily accept an upgrade, of course i would, but to ask for one just because for 1 out of 7 days your wife gets a birthday is a ****-take

articokey says dont bother asking..yet, disney asks you ...so what are you celebrating? What is that all about? do they really care? If you tell them what are they going to do? PLan a special dinner with you and Mickey? maybe a room upgrade...I doubt it...probably just some more data gathering for there database...so they can track you like an ant...

I am really tired of calling and hearing..how many times have you been to walt disney world? etc etc...whats that all about...

it doesnt hurt to ask..is what I was taught... dont let your foolish pride get in the way...its all about people communicating...maybe a room upgrade could result in a letter from a very satified guess and thus lead to a promotion for the front desk attendant....

you choose..think positive and ask for what ever you desire...who knows it may come true! or go around, doubtful and miserable....

heard of the secret? go watch it....

Well with that being said can you explain when/how/why do guest "randomly" chosen for free upgrades? I'll be celebrating 30, my 2nd anniversary and the birth of my child on vacation would I "qualify" for an upgrade or would I be laughed at?

It's not "random'' why we choose to upgrade people, although we have upgraded those who are celebrating birthdays or anniverseries if we know about it in advance. Anyone who's worked in a hotel would understand the reason we do upgrades on rooms is to fill the ''holes'' between reservations (it's called a lock-out) to make sure that everything is fit together properly. Some like to compare this practice to that of the game of Tetris, if that makes it easier to understand. We don't just pick names out of a hat; there's ALWAYS a reason for it.

I have been a Loews First member since 2001 and one of the benefits, indeed, is a free upgrade (in this case a better view room) when available. My favorite benefit is the cookies and milk at check-in, but I digress ;)

If you are not yet a Loews First Member, you can simply sign up on their website ahead of time. They will send you a card in the mail. If you do not receive it before your trip, simply bring the ID number they assign you. When filling out the form, you can also indicate what types of pillows, what newspaper, and what check-in "perk" you prefer (cookies & milk, water, and there might be something about fruit - I can't remember...).

I hope you get your upgrade and have a wonderful trip!

If you've been a member since 2001, how do you not know the program has changed?:confused3

You are no longer MAILED a membership card.
You no longer receive a welcome gift.

The program was changed from Loews First to You First.

Best to check their website for current perks.

Wanted to clarify for people who would be looking for these things.

If you've been a member since 2001, how do you not know the program has changed?:confused3

You are no longer MAILED a membership card.
You no longer receive a welcome gift.

The program was changed from Loews First to You First.

Best to check their website for current perks.

Wanted to clarify for people who would be looking for these things.

Thanks for the info. I just joined and received a number. Can you tell me what I do with it? I am assuming that I tell the front desk my number when I check in. On the site it says that now when you stay 5 consecutive nights, this qualifies you for 2 stays. We will be staying Aug. 22 to 28th at HRH. So do you know if this means that the perks start for Blue on my next stay or this one?
In addition, I also signed up for HRC membership so I think this also qualifies for upgrades if available. Has anyone utilized this?

Thanks for the info. I just joined and received a number. Can you tell me what I do with it? I am assuming that I tell the front desk my number when I check in. On the site it says that now when you stay 5 consecutive nights, this qualifies you for 2 stays. We will be staying Aug. 22 to 28th at HRH. So do you know if this means that the perks start for Blue on my next stay or this one?
In addition, I also signed up for HRC membership so I think this also qualifies for upgrades if available. Has anyone utilized this?

To answer your question, you would have had to COMPLETE your nights stays before you receive that level benefit.

That said, since you are staying at HRH, You First benefits do not apply there (says so on Loews site). I'm not sure what perks the Hard Rock's card gets for you (we don't have one or stay there).

You may be able to find out on the Hard Rock hotel thread on the Universal Resorts/Hotels board.

To answer your question, you would have had to COMPLETE your nights stays before you receive that level benefit.

That said, since you are staying at HRH, You First benefits do not apply there (says so on Loews site). I'm not sure what perks the Hard Rock's card gets for you (we don't have one or stay there).

You may be able to find out on the Hard Rock hotel thread on the Universal Resorts/Hotels board.

I kind of thought I would need to have another stay before I received the perks. Oops missed that Hard Rock Hotel doesn't participate in You First reward program. Just wondering is that why you don't stay at HRH or is there something that I need to know? Thanks for your response Bubba's Mom.

Just wondering is that why you don't stay at HRH or is there something that I need to know? Thanks for your response Bubba's Mom.

We stayed there in '07 one night. Nothing wrong with it, I just have some petty things I don't care for in the room there (lighting, can't keep a rug on the bathroom floor b/c door is too low)...nothing that would prevent us from staying there again (if the price was right). This will probably be the last year we are platinum w/ Loews, and that gets us a free upgrade to a suite at the PBH. A suite there is 2 connecting rooms...each w/ their own bathroom. We like that and the hotel overall. RPR is probably our second fave. That said, my BIL & their family usually stay at HRH (they're locals) and they love it there. And, each year, no matter where we're staying, we always have 1 night we eat at the Beach Club there and the kids do the movie thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter