Rogue One = WOW!!!

cjparker0110

Mouseketeer
Hey guys! Went to the premiere of Rogue One last night. It is absolutely amazing! I won't offer up any spoilers here but just wanted to say it is worth your time to watch it. Parents: take the PG-13 rating seriously. The movie definitely captures the "war" of Star Wars and, as such, may be a little too much for the youngest fans. There were definitely kids around 5 or 6 there last night and I don't think I would let mine watch it (I have a 5 year old). Of course, that is your preference as a parent, but maybe consider pre-screening it before taking kids. And why not? You're going to want to watch it a second time.

For the hardcore fans: I lost track of how many Easter eggs there are throughout!

I enjoyed it quite a bit too. It started off a little weird, and there were some things I didn't love (location title cards, the weird knock-off sounding theme at the Rogue One title), but overall I really liked the movie, felt it was much better than Episode VII, man oh man, what an ending! Epic battle! It's hard not to walk out of the theater pumped up about that film.

totally agree, I saw it yesterday, so much of omg, thats the... omg, thats who... omg, look at that.... the ending, just jaw dropping, you could kinda see where it was going but omg, wow. Im sooo glad I stayed away from all spoilers.

It started off a little weird
I thought so as well. I wasn't a big fan of the "prologue" introduction as I honestly felt that most of that could have been handled in dialogue elsewhere in the film. I guess it was their way of making up for not have an opening crawl?

there were some things I didn't love
Yes...those title cards for the planets were weird. I mean it is cool to learn the names immediately but I don't think they were necessary. The hardcore fans always learn the names in the long run without titles. The casual fan doesn't really care. Each location is so vastly different that they stand on their own without the name being important to differentiate.

Not perfect, but definitely the prequel we were looking for
Probably the best way to describe it. I'm sure after a few viewings more flaws will reveal themselves than the more obvious ones, but it was overall a solid film which exceeded my expectation. What I enjoyed the most is that it is a movie that could have stood on its own without being part of the Star Wars universe. It was the kind of gritty war story that was enjoyed by my dad and grandfather. It just happens to be set in the SW universe which makes it more enjoyable for me.

Yes...those title cards for the planets were weird. I mean it is cool to learn the names immediately but I don't think they were necessary. The hardcore fans always learn the names in the long run without titles. The casual fan doesn't really care. Each location is so vastly different that they stand on their own without the name being important to differentiate.

Yeah, I generally hate that in movies. If the location name is important, work it into the dialogue. They had already talked about the records center on Scarif, and then they show us a planet with a records center. Viewers can put two and two together. I ESPECIALLY hate it when a movie will show the ckyline of New York City and then it says "New York" on the screen (or anywhere as easily recognizable). I mean, really?

I had Star Wars planets instead of table numbers at my wedding, and it still took me a second to realize one of the previously introduced planets. I had no issues with the title cards, but since it was never done in the previous movies I can see how it could be somewhat offputting.

That being said, I thought this movie was excellent and would rank this just under the OT.

Empire
Hope
Jedi
Rogue One
TFA
Sith
Clones
Menace

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter