Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
One of the most risky Star Wars films ever attempted takes what was once a single moment in a back story and expands it into a fully realized, fleshed out movie. It's about the band of Rebels who stole the Empire's space station plans to expose a weakness, which was revealed in Episode IV: A New Hope (1977). This is a Star Wars story which means it is not part of the episodic films. It is a small, but significant piece in sci-fi history which happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I don't feel it's for the casual fan who simply watches the main movies. It's not a Skywalker family film. Some suggest it's not a family film at all. Director Gareth Edwards takes the audience to some dark places. There seems to be more one-on-one violence. It is a war movie and so there are plenty of on-screen casualties. While I didn't find these characters as endearing as those from the main storyline films, lead actress Felicity Jones does a fine job as does co-star Diego Luna. Their roles, along with Forest Whitaker's character are to show the audience that you don't have to be a "good guy" all the time to want to beat the big bad guy. They do what they have to do to stop the Empire's tyranny. The American Film Institutes choice for top villain of the 20th century, Darth Vader makes a triumphant return and has his most destructive scene ever captured on camera. While there are some big CG moments, the more down-and-dirty detailed scenes similar to episodes 4-7 are present. I'm not going to spoil anything but the "controversial" CG work on some actors who are no longer with us was pretty good, in my opinion. One person passed away in 1994 and when I pointed it out to my wife, she was shocked. Speaking of, she was not a huge fan of the film as she didn't feel there was enough character development. My 8-year old daughter was bored. Both my wife and daughter consider themselves Star Wars fans however. My 11-year old son and I thoroughly enjoyed it - but make no mistake, it is a very different Star Wars movie. I give it 3 Imperial Walkers out of 5. Next up for Disney is the live action version of Beauty and the Beast in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter