Rocket Launches

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
I have an opinion about this (of course :rolleyes: ).

I like the spacecoastlaunches overall but any site is only about accurate up to two weeks out. The launch cadence is to the point with SpaceX and ULA that there is almost always something every two weeks at least although it may happen last minute. Updates to the websites are made at different times but I lean more to scl.

I have been down on the coast for launches and they occur: middle of the night or late in the evening or after three delays. It's just hit-or-miss.

We will be down there in a few weeks and no launches are currently scheduled during our visit but schedules may flex in our favor so who knows?:confused3

YMMV. Ed

I have an opinion about this (of course :rolleyes: ).

Whaaaaat????? I would never expect!

Thanks. I figure it would get more detailed the closer to launch with weather and the million of other variables that affect such a complicated thing, but seems odd that two site wouldn't mirror each other. I'll keep checking them and hope for the best.

After our 10 days at FW we're going to park it at Jetty Park for 3 or 4 days and tour Kennedy and other Space Coast attractions. A rocket launch would be the cherry on top to tie together all of that science for the kids.

Whaaaaat????? I would never expect!

I get it, i get it. So out of character for me :rolleyes: .... But I have recent experience and near future ones too.

Thanks. I figure it would get more detailed the closer to launch with weather and the million of other variables that affect such a complicated thing, but seems odd that two site wouldn't mirror each other. I'll keep checking them and hope for the best.

After our 10 days at FW we're going to park it at Jetty Park for 3 or 4 days and tour Kennedy and other Space Coast attractions. A rocket launch would be the cherry on top to tie together all of that science for the kids.

You will like Jetty Park, Jack. I must have missed the office memo but what time of year will you be at JP?

The two sites depend on when updates/changes to the launch schedule occur. No telling when that is. But I gave you the one I check first.

I've seen launches from WDW and from the coast too. The Port Canaveral area next to JP has some good restaurants like FishLips that our poster @snowmedic put me onto and he was right.

I will be there in two weeks and since you will too, I'll post a few pix/notes about it. The military/Cape Canaveral AFB is on the north side of the cruise ship channel across from JP. I was at JP for a launch about 6pm at night and the rv park is 6 miles (45 seconds for audio) from the launch site. My past dream of being there for a shuttle launch is just that (in the past) but my next wish is to be there for a SpaceX FalconHeavy launch with both boosters coming back to the Cape landing sites.

Watch for my posts in a few weeks.

Bama Ed

You will like Jetty Park, Jack. I must have missed the office memo but what time of year will you be at JP?

I'll be at FW late June into the second week of July.

DD has been to the beach when she was a young pup and DS has never been. On top of the ability to see all the space stuff, the beach proximity and cost for near beach front property was a huge seller.

I look forward to your next TR and best wishes on Musk getting an itchy trigger finger when you're in the neighborhood.

The space center & Cocoa Beach are so close that it's really worth it to go over- especially if you don't live somewhere near a beach. I hope you get to see one. It's definitely something to remember.... and wake the kids up for in the middle of the night (which I've definitely done!) Night launches are the coolest. :beach:

One other thing I will add, PtP, is that I hope you don't fall into the gray area like we did in 2019. The gray area is a hold or a delay in the countdown.

How long will the hold last? (dunno)
Do I have time to go to the bathroom? (dunno)
What's going on? (dunno)
Will they scrub the launch and try to reschedule? (dunno)
Will the restaurant still be open when we get there for dinner? (dunno)

Our first launch was a night launch from Jetty Park back in March 2019 (a ULA rocket). Lots of locals drove over and paid the day admission to the beach area and brought their folding chairs to sit on the south side of the cruise ship channel. So being a rookie, we grabbed our chairs from the campsite and walked through the campground fence gate and joined them.

It was originally scheduled to be an afternoon launch but there was a delay. The sun went down during the approx 90 minute wait IIRC but nobody around me had left. We waited along with the rest of them. The countdown finally resumed and the launch at night started. First the light/glow and the rocket starts its ascent - in silence. It took the sound something like 30 seconds to reach us.

This trip in March even if there isn't a launch while I am there, I am going to ask around if there is a tv station or radio station that carries the mission control dialogue and countdown. We did have a ULA web video stream initially but with so many people trying to access it locally I guess, it was unreliable. I would be satisfied with just the audio.

I will report back.

Bama Ed

PS - I did see a daytime launch from Cocoa Beach this time last year which was maybe 10-15 miles further south along the coast. No sound, just a flame under a little white stick curving up over the Atlantic (SpaceX). It was not as impressive as being at Port Canaveral/Jetty Park. No delay that time - countdown went like clockwork.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have found a radio frequency run by some locals near the Kennedy Space Center that carries each launch's transmissions (they claim) which I would dearly love to try out:

https://www.lisats.org/vhf_radio_operations/

They run it at 146.940 MHz on the VHF band so one would need a radio with short wave frequencies to get this. But this might do the trick because when I was there for the ULA launch, a couple parked cars down from us was a group with an SUV and the rear tailgate up to sit and party at. But they had some sort of radio (volume up) that was tuned in to whoever was running the countdown which is where I got some updates from (while trying not to be too nosy and obviously listening).

I would love to have a launch while I am down there and possibly borrow my dad's portable short wave radio and see if it works.

Bama Ed

I watched a shuttle launch when i was a kid from the space center. My father, cheap as he was had us climb a fence. I also saw some rocket launch while on a cruise ship. So, maybe doing this again as an adult might be fun. I will try not to scale any fences. Lol.

I watched a shuttle launch when i was a kid from the space center. My father, cheap as he was had us climb a fence. I also saw some rocket launch while on a cruise ship. So, maybe doing this again as an adult might be fun. I will try not to scale any fences. Lol.

Did your mom climb over the fence too? :earseek:

Lol, no just me and my dad, he didnt want to pay the 20 $ to get into the veiwing area. Dont ask about SeaWorld.........

One site that is pretty well maintained is the SpaceFlightNow launch schedule https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/.

Once you get a few days before the launch, check out the ULA, SpaceX, or NASA Twitter feeds. They typically, provide the most up to the minute information. To avoid the @bama_ed “gray area” see what the launch window is. You won’t have a hold longer than that, the launch will scrub first.

To avoid the @bama_ed “gray area” see what the launch window is. You won’t have a hold longer than that, the launch will scrub first.

Well, true of course. The hold is never longer than the window.

Plus the launch window can be several hours or instantaneous (zero). Tonight's scheduled SpaceX launch is instantaneous - in March 2019 mine was hours. And you never know IF there will be a hold AND how long into the window it might go.

I'm on vacation and have things to do and other fun to have. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter