• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reviews from a vegetarian at the World (adult and child)

Elmo888

DIS Veteran
DD6 and I are veg, but DH is not. I'm just going to review our veg. meals and options.

Crystal Palace dinner (char meal with Pooh and friends): This was a GREAT veg meal and possibly best! I had a green salads, curried vegetables, rice, a spicy pasta dish, and balsamic sauced vegetables. They also had green beans and mashed potatoes. There was mac and cheese on the kids' buffet. The food that I had was great! DD6 had rice, fruit, and a pb and j sandwich.

Pecos Bill's in Frontierland: I had a veggie burger that was pretty good. It was the only veg option for me, and there wasn't a veg option for DD6. I asked if they could make her a cheese sandwich, and they melted some cheese on a bun. She was happy. There is a toppings bar for the burgers, which was nice.

Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland: Another veggie burger. This was the first one that I had and probably the best. It really hit the spot. There were no veg child's meals, and this was before I thought to ask for a cheese sandwich. DH took DD6 to find something, and she came back with a sweet cream cheese pretzel and a big bottle of chocolate milk. It wasn't exactly a meal, but she loved it.

Le Cellier in Canada at Epcot: They had 2 or 3 veg appetizers. I had the ceasar, but I could taste the anchovy oil. (I know that anchovy is traditionally used in ceaser, but they seem to skip it so often that I didn't ask.) If that offends you, go with something else. There was at least one other salad, and maybe another veg appetizer. They had one veg dish, which was a basmati rice cake, portobello mushroom topped with cheese, and some asparagus. The sauces were a tomato jelly and an onion and beet sauce. I was worried about the beet, but the chef came out and said it was white beets and he would put it on the side. Well, it was all great! The rice cake was a little dry, but it tasted great. I just used one of the sauces, both of which were sweet. DD6 had a cheese pizza that she didn't like. It was a chicken pizza on the menu, but they made it without the chicken. There was also a pasta with tomato sauce on the kids menu as another veg option.

Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL: There were no veg appetizers, so I asked if they could make the chicken quesadillas with just cheese. They did, and the cheese quesadillas were good. I ordered the only veg option on the menu, which was canellini beans, tomatoes, summer squash, zuccini, and fried onions. There was a light sauce (maybe tomato?) and a basil taste (like basil oil). It was just okay. The tomatoes tasted awful, but it took me a while to figure out that it was the tomatoes (I didn't know if it was one of the sauces or what). DD6 had mac and cheese, but she didn't like it. She isn't a big mac and cheese fan. I had the banana dessert here, and it was great. That was probably the best and most memorable dessert from our trip.

CRT breakfast: If your are veg, specifically ask for a meal without meat. The mashed potatoes that DH received had meat in them. I had fried potatoes instead. This isn't a great meal, but it is so well done. They bring juice, fruit, and bread to you as soon as you sit down. You have the choice of a big breakfast (eggs, potatoes, fried bread things) or some sort of cereal (oatmeal?). Pictures with Cinderella are before the meal, and other princesses come around during the meal. Same with DD6 meal - ask for no meat so they bring friend potatoes instead of mashed.

Chef Mickey's for breakfast: It is a buffet, so it is pretty easy. I had yogurt, fruit, and a bagel, so I can't help with the hot food. Also, look at the dessert bar for cereal. I found some granola.

Alfredo's in Italy at Epcot: For an appetizer, I had the mozzarella and tomato salad, and it was very good. I had the Fetticine Alfredo for my main course, and it was so good and so rich! With that plus dessert, I actually wasn't feeling great the next morning, which is what led to my yogurt, fruit, and bagel breakfast at Chef Mickey's the next day. Too many rich foods! DD6 asked for pasta with butter (they had a pasta with tomato sauce, but she isn't a fan of tomato sauce). Her pasta was dry, so she asked for some olive oil.

Roaring Forks at WL: I had the croissant breakfast sandwich. Just ask for it without bacon. I also had the made-to-order fruit and yogurt parfait, which was made by the slowest person on the planet. It was good, but the strawberries were sugared or something. I prefer non-messed-with fruit. They had cereals, oatmeal, bread for toasting, etc. One day for lunch, I had the vegetarian sandwich. The veggies are grilled, but cold, and the sandwich was cold. It was huge and on some nice thick wheat bread. It was great! It had red onion, zucchini, fresh greens, hummus, and a vinaigrette, among other things. I think that there was a cheese pizza and pb and j (those nasty Smuckers pocket sandwiches that kids love!) option for kids.

Tusker House at AK: I had a pocket vegetable sandwich. I wasn't crazy about it. If I'm having a sandwich, I want some bread, not a wimpy pita pocket. The veggies were similar to a Greek salad, but one side had way too many onions for my taste (my husband had the rest and loved it, though). In addition to onions, there were red peppers, feta, a dressing, greens (I think), cucumbers, and olives. I'm not a fan of olives, either. DD6 had mac and cheese. I asked about a cheese sandwich, but they said that they couldn't make one.

Restaurantosaurus: Another veggie burger, possibly the worst out of the three that I had. The bun was so dry. The french fries are McD's, though, and they were great! DD6 had a made-to-order grilled cheese, and it looked good. Just a note - they only do McNugget Happy Meals here, so you can't get your veg child a veg Happy Meal. I wanted to try Pizzafari, which had cheese pizza and cheese quesadillas and pb and j on the kids' menu, but DD6 wanted french fries!

So, as you may have read, the counter service places have the least number of options, and sometimes none at all for adults and/or children. That was frustrating, esp. when there was something for me, but nothing for DD6, or vice versa. Flame Tree BBQ (I know that it is a BBQ place, but that is where DH wanted to eat) had no options for either of us. It also seemed like AK had a number of counter service restaurants with veg options, but MK had few or just a veggie burger option.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help!

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews. :tinker:

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews! DD (2) and I are vegetarians. She is also allergic to eggs, and since there is egg in virtually all of the mac and cheese at WDW, finding suitable kids meals for her is difficult.

Our entire family loves the food at Crystal Palace. The only WDW buffet that we like better is Boma! I totally agree with you about the veggie sandwich at Tusker House. They used to have a great veggie sandwich on foccacia bread with hummus and grilled veggies. The current veggie sandwich filling isn't too bad, but the pita that I had was cold and dry. Ick! We feel like Pizzafari is our only real option for CS at AK.

Thanks for the reviews, I recently converted to veganism and am reading a great book called naturally enough "Vegetarian Walt Disney World and Greater Orlando". It has a really good breakdown of all the restaurants including counter service.

Thanks for the review! We would like for my mom to accompany us on our next trip to WDW but its so hard to find things she will eat. She's a vegetarian but also doesn't eat cheese or eggs or anything high in fat or has a lot of sugar! Last time we went to WDW she found she didn't like the taste of hummus either. Glad you had a good time!

DH and I took his adult daughter and her best friend to WDW last October, and they're vegetarians. They had a wonderful meal at Liberty Tree Tavern. The chef actually cooked up something special for them.

Wow, thank you SO much! You do not know how much I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. My DS and I are vegetarians, but my DH & other children are not. We find it frustrating when we travel as the options can be slim. Even though I have done vegetarian every time I go to Disney, I really appreciated your summary and ideas. I can always use new veggie ideas & I will try Peco Bills too [sounds so yummy!]. Thanks you so much! We will try your suggestions. Kim
:thumbsup2

So, as you may have read, the counter service places have the least number of options, and sometimes none at all for adults and/or children. That was frustrating, esp. when there was something for me, but nothing for DD6, or vice versa. Flame Tree BBQ (I know that it is a BBQ place, but that is where DH wanted to eat) had no options for either of us. It also seemed like AK had a number of counter service restaurants with veg options, but MK had few or just a veggie burger option.
Next time you go to the MK, try Columbia Harbour House. It's a counter service restaurant. Their "Lighthouse Sandwich" is one of my favorite meals in all of WDW. It's brocolli slaw and hummus on hearty bread. It's just wonderful. Just talking about it gives me cravings. Their vegetarian chili is also good. One of their menu items is "half sandwich and soup" and you can choose the Lighthouse Sandwich and chili for your sandwich and soup options. Makes a great meal, especially if you are there at a cooler time of year. I'm not sure if I would order the chili on a hot day but then again, it's so tasty I just might!

I don't know what they have on their kids menu but you could check the menus on allears: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_chh.htm

Thank you for posting your reviews! I'm also vegetarian, but I don't have kids and so never realized how much harder it can be to find veg kids meals.

And thanks for the warning about the meat in the mashed potatoes...just when you think you've heard it all!

Thanks for posting about your experiences. Our whole family is semi-vegetarian (we eat seafood). One question I have for you or anyone else is: why the variation in veg burgers? Are they actually different at different places? Is it just luck of the draw? Or do some places consistently prepare them better than other places? We didn't eat any veg burgers on our last trip, because I was worried that they'd be awful. I'd love to know if there are places we can count on a decent veg burger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter