Recommendations for Barcelona Food Tour?

Poohlie

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any recommendations for a Barcelona Food Tour for our ABD pre-night? We like Eating Europe but they don't have any tours in Barcelona. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Barcelona Food Tour for our ABD pre-night? We like Eating Europe but they don't have any tours in Barcelona. Thanks in advance!
I can’t speak to any of these, but Tours By Locals has several guides who offer food and/or wine tours in Barcelona - it may give you some ideas as you get other suggestions if you aren’t looking for something like this.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=80&category=4

I've found that with just a bit of research you can piece together your own tour pretty easily. After all, you're not going to hit ALL the "must-try" spots in town in a single tour, and sticking to one general location and trying a few selected spots will give you just as much pleasure, and make you feel more intrepid.

I've found that with just a bit of research you can piece together your own tour pretty easily. After all, you're not going to hit ALL the "must-try" spots in town in a single tour, and sticking to one general location and trying a few selected spots will give you just as much pleasure, and make you feel more intrepid.
That's not been true in my experience. A local guide will know places that are out-of-the-way, family type places, etc. They also give you wonderful lessons in local customs, history and geography. Stuff you'd never get out of hitting a few restaurants. In fact, I've also done food tours in the towns around where I live and I've been amazed at the places they went to, and the things I learned. I *LOVE* a local food tour as a way to get oriented to a new location.

Sayhello

That's not been true in my experience. A local guide will know places that are out-of-the-way, family type places, etc. They also give you wonderful lessons in local customs, history and geography. Stuff you'd never get out of hitting a few restaurants. In fact, I've also done food tours in the towns around where I live and I've been amazed at the places they went to, and the things I learned. I *LOVE* a local food tour as a way to get oriented to a new location.

Sayhello
That's all and good, but how much are you really going to eat (and learn) on a single tour? With that limitation, I'm happy hitting some highlights and leaving the deep dive for when I have more time. I also learned to separate FOMO from just letting things happen.

That's all and good, but how much are you really going to eat (and learn) on a single tour? With that limitation, I'm happy hitting some highlights and leaving the deep dive for when I have more time. I also learned to separate FOMO from just letting things happen.
I have no clue what you mean by FOMO. Fear of missing out on what? I just do them because they are fun and informative and delicious! And usually the tours end up being a late lunch and an early dinner. I learn and eat a bunch! I'm guessing you've never been on a locals food tour, because it sounds like you don't know much about them, and are just worried about cost.

As a matter of fact, I happen to have a locals food tour scheduled for this afternoon in about an hour, as a part of my Birthday Staycation, as my Portugal trip was cancelled. I'm totally looking forward to it!

Sayhello

I have no clue what you mean by FOMO. Fear of missing out on what? I just do them because they are fun and informative and delicious! And usually the tours end up being a late lunch and an early dinner. I learn and eat a bunch! I guess you've never been on a locals food tour, because it sounds like you don't know much about them, and are just worried about cost.

Sayhello
Well, thanks for your assumptions, but you're wrong. Most of my trips are well-researched and food-centric, regardless of destination. I've done many food-only and cooking class trips, both here and abroad, at considerable cost, which I've happily paid. When I have a very limited time, I choose something I want to experience and wing it; that invariably leads to some great times that can't be planned.

Well, thanks for your assumptions, but you're wrong. Most of my trips are well-researched and food-centric, regardless of destination. I've done many food-only and cooking class trips, both here and abroad, at considerable cost, which I've happily paid. When I have a very limited time, I choose something I want to experience and wing it; that invariably leads to some great times that can't be planned.
But the OP was asking for suggestions for a food tour. If what you say is the case, why would you tell them not to do one, and just go to some restaurants instead? You really aren't doing the OP a good service at all.

Sayhello

But the OP was asking for suggestions for a food tour. If what you say is the case, why would you tell them not to do one, and just go to some restaurants instead? You really aren't doing the OP a good service at all.

Sayhello
That's my suggestion, after decades of taking food trips, for an single evening in a new city, the night before a long trip.

I took a food tour with Devour in Paris and I would not recommend them. It was probably the worst food tour I've taken for a few reasons: very small portions of food (think a few small pieces of a crepe instead of a whole crepe per person), only time we sat down was at 1 eatery and the tour was, IMHO, quite expensive (cost was $175.00), which would have been okay, but we only got 1 full portion and that was a small bowl of French onion soup. Everything else was "just a taste" and in all cases, a very, very small taste. I felt that it wasn't enough food to come close to justifying the cost. I have done several food tours in different cities and can say that this was the lowest value proposition by a wide margin. I understand they (Devour Food Tours) are expanding throughout Europe and N. America.

Not a food tour, but ds, dd and I went to El Xampanyet in Barcelona and I would HIGHLY recommend. It is family run, the owners are very interactive with the customers and the food is *delicious*. We went in 2009 and still talk about what an amazing restaurant it was.

We have found that Secret Food Tours are great experiences! We've gone with them in Paris as well as Rome--truly memorable. They were quite different but perfect for the location. The food was fabulous, the guides excellent. Been in Barcelona several times but before we discovered this company--would definitely use them when we go back. https://www.secretfoodtours.com/bar...HZez3cX1iaI5q9ZtC8hl-pvrkPYw9G4BoCAicQAvD_BwE

I took a food tour with Devour in Paris and I would not recommend them. It was probably the worst food tour I've taken for a few reasons: very small portions of food (think a few small pieces of a crepe instead of a whole crepe per person), only time we sat down was at 1 eatery and the tour was, IMHO, quite expensive (cost was $175.00), which would have been okay, but we only got 1 full portion and that was a small bowl of French onion soup. Everything else was "just a taste" and in all cases, a very, very small taste. I felt that it wasn't enough food to come close to justifying the cost. I have done several food tours in different cities and can say that this was the lowest value proposition by a wide margin. I understand they (Devour Food Tours) are expanding throughout Europe and N. America.

Not a food tour, but ds, dd and I went to El Xampanyet in Barcelona and I would HIGHLY recommend. It is family run, the owners are very interactive with the customers and the food is *delicious*. We went in 2009 and still talk about what an amazing restaurant it was.
Thanks for the heads up on Devour - it was one of my options in Barcelona so will be passing on that one. It was also one of the most expensive options.

Thanks for the recommendation of El Xampanyet. Will look into booking that for night 2 OYO dinner!

We have found that Secret Food Tours are great experiences! We've gone with them in Paris as well as Rome--truly memorable. They were quite different but perfect for the location. The food was fabulous, the guides excellent. Been in Barcelona several times but before we discovered this company--would definitely use them when we go back. https://www.secretfoodtours.com/bar...HZez3cX1iaI5q9ZtC8hl-pvrkPYw9G4BoCAicQAvD_BwE
This looks great - have not heard of this company. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Last edited:
This looks great - have not heard of this company. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
I had a food tour booked with Secret Food Tours for my Rhone River Cruise that never happened due to Covid. They got great reviews, and the tours look really good. If you end up using them, I'd love to hear how your experience is!

They were one of the few companies I had issues with on getting a refund (they let all their people go) and had to go through my credit card company to get the refund. So make sure they are back on good financial standing before you book! @vakamalua have you used them since the pandemic?

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter