Quick Singapore TR

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a quick trip to Singapore, so I thought I would throw together a bit of a highlights reel and some tips for anyone who may be interested.

Who: Me (zanzibar) and my partner B

Here we are enjoying the Qantas lounge before our flight out of Perth.
1700204008867.png

Where: Singapore, staying at Fraser Place Robertson Walk
When: 3-9 November
Why: We hadn't actually had a holiday together yet (apart from a 2 night weekender in Melbourne tacked onto a work trip), and neither of us have had actual holidays (not work-related or visiting relatives) since pre-COVID, so we were well overdue and needed something to tide us over until our big trip to WDW for our wedding, which won't be until early 2025! Plus I had a Qantas voucher that needed using.

I note that the DIS only allows 10 photos per post these days (last time I posted a TR it was 25!), so I may have to rethink my strategy...

Hotel review
We stayed at Fraser Place, Robertson Walk, which is an apartment hotel. Our 'room' was VERY spacious by Singapore standards and included a combined living/dining room with a balcony, separate bedroom, ensuite bathroom with combined shower/bath, and even a fully equipped kitchen with full size fridge and washing machine. The kitchen didn't get any use, but the washing machine came in handy. There was a small fold-out clothes rack in the kitchen, but it didn't hold many clothes and didn't get much airflow, so it took ages for anything to dry.

1700204183756.png

1700204201092.png

1700204238503.png

Our balcony overlooked the large courtyard with a few pub-style restaurants and other establishments including massage and karaoke. It was a bit of a nighttime hub, and we did get a little bit of noise on the 5th floor. Nothing that kept us awake though.

1700204388848.png

1700204407054.png

1700204441877.png

There was an included buffet breakfast (including cooked breakfast), which was slightly different each day of our stay. Some days we enjoyed most of the options, other days we struggled to find much that was appealing. There were some staples every day - toast, croissants, fruit, salad, orange juice and tea and coffee. I believe you could also order eggs but we never did. Most days there were plenty of tables available inside and out - one day we had to sit outside (which was my preference anyway!).

1700204719681.png

The breakfast area was on level 3 next to the pool, and I believe it turned into a bar with snacks available from lunch time (although we never did make it down to use the pool). I believe there was also a gym there.

1700204800646.png

It seemed to be an expat kind of location with lots of westernised (particularly Italian) and kind of expensive restaurants along the river and surrounding streets. We didn't really eat there as I never felt like Italian cuisine in the Singapore weather, but it was lovely walking along the river.

We actually found it quite a convenient location as it was only a 5 minute walk from Fort Canning train station, which is on the Downtown line, which pretty much took us anywhere we wanted to go. To get to Universal, we walked to Clarke Quay station which took us directly to VivoCity. Getting to Orchard Road was a little more complicated, but there was a free transfer bus from the hotel several times a day. There was a taxi rank right outside the hotel.

Staff were always friendly and we never had any problems. They even let us borrow a power adapter when we found ours wouldn't work with their plugs (ours was a chunky one which wouldn't fit over the switch at the top of all the power points). The price was very reasonable for what we got. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would definitely consider staying there again.

Getting around

We found it exceptionally easy to get around Singapore using mainly public transport but sometimes resorting to the very user friendly and relatively inexpensive Grab app (like Uber).

In hindsight, I would only take public transport from the hotel to the airport if you can get a direct train or if you just have a backpack or something easy to carry. Changing trains is quite a complex mission, with stations going down many levels which is a pain lugging a suitcase. I would also want to make sure the walk from the station to the hotel at the end is manageable with a suitcase in oppressive heat and humidity (our walk was bearable but it was only 5 minutes and in the evening).

We were able to use our credit cards to tap on for the train (like in Sydney for anyone familiar with their trains), however mine wasn't accepted. We used B's for both of us, before realising at the other end that it actually wasn't going to work and having to ask to be released. The guy there was happy enough to let us out.

I would definitely recommend getting some local currency so you can buy a top-up card for the train and put some money on it upon arrival. We ended up getting a NETS card at a 7-Eleven, which came with a $5 charge which lasted us for one trip. You need either a local credit card or cash to top up, and luckily by then we had found an ATM and got some cash out. Without suitcases, changing trains isn't really a problem, and doesn't really add much time to the trip when you're only ever waiting 2-3 minutes for the next train. Some trains were quite busy and some were pretty quiet, but we never had trouble getting on one.

Public transport is CHEAP. We took several trains most days, and had only gone through SGD $10 by the end of our stay.

We took a Grab for some of the more out of the way locations. It was ridiculously easy to download, set up and use. Took me all of about 2 minutes, most of which was typing in my credit card number. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes, and it was very reasonably priced compared to Australia (but ridiculously expensive compared to Singapore's public transport).

I should mention I just went with the easy option and used Vodafone's $5 a day roaming plan while in Singapore. If B needed internet I just hotspotted, but mostly we were fine with just my phone. There was also free wifi pretty much everywhere!

Day 1 - Nature Day

I had looked up the forecast for the week and after the first couple of days, it was supposed to be rainy and thunderstorms pretty much every day. So we decided to get the outdoorsy stuff done first while the weather was somewhat decent. We did still get the occasional shower and rumbly thunder, but for the most part it wasn't too bad.

Treetops Walk at MacRitchie Reserve
Overview: We got a Grab to the trail head, and it was about a 7km return walk from there - we missed a turnoff and added about an extra 1km. It's definitely not an easy walk, particularly in the Singapore weather, with a few decent uphills and lots and lots of endless stairs down. A one-way loop starts at the ranger station which takes in the actual treetops part and most of the stairs. There are toilets there and water I think to refill your bottles. We saw a few monkeys around the golf course (on our unexpected detour) and then at the end of the suspension bridge and near the ranger station. The monkeys are not friendly, and it is advisable to keep your distance and not look them in the eye. We definitely took our time with the hiking and had decent breaks, and were there for about 3 hours I think. There are other parts of MacRitchie Reserve that look lovely too, but we unfortunately didn't have the time (or energy) for more hiking.

Crowds: Very manageable crowds, particularly as this was a Saturday mid-morning and the weather was decent. There were many parts of the trail where there were no other people around us.

Cost: This was a complely free activity (other than the Grab, which was SGD $14.50).

Worth it? Very worthwhile for nature lovers with a reasonable level of fitness. Was a highlight of our trip.

1700206276088.png

1700206305359.png

River Wonders
Overview: MacRitchie Reserve is between the city and the zoo, so we took another Grab directly after our hike. We were pretty sweaty and gross by that time, so I would recommend taking a change of shirt for anyone planning to do the same! I chose River Wonders because there are some unique animals there that we can't see at Australian zoos and the boat ride is also unique to this zoo. There is a large proportion of water-based animals in aquariums interspersed with the land-based animals. Highlights for me were the pandas (we were lucky enough to see one just lounging around its enclosure without too many crowds), the giant otters and the boat ride. The boat ride went for about 5 minutes or so, past several animal enclosures that we wouldn't have otherwise seen. There were a few very mild but fun drops between animals. It was kind of a small zoo - only took us a couple of hours to get through.

Food: We had been planning to find somewhere to eat when we arrived, but didn't realise the only place to eat is about halfway through near the pandas. There are some fast food options at the entrance to the Singapore Zoo and also a Starbucks at the entrance to River Wonders which we should have considered instead. The food place near the pandas was pretty cool, with a few panda themed desserts. We got the panda shaped chocolate custard bao buns which were super cute and delicious! We stopped at Starbucks afterwards where we shared a nice quiche and super delicious cheesecakes and frappes.

Crowds: Very manageable for a Saturday afternoon. Had to wait a few minutes for a good photo spot at some of the more popular exhibits but practically walked straight on to the boat ride after reading about and being prepared for horrendous lines.

Cost: We bought zoo tickets online - there was a special deal for 2 parks which worked out to SGD $192 for both of us. I'd also purchased the boat ride online for SGD $5 each. The Grab from our hike set us back SGD $15.35 (it was actually a taxi booked through the Grab app so was slightly more expensive). We also bought some food here and a couple of souvenirs.

Worth it? Very worthwhile for animal lovers looking for something a little different. Was a highlight of our trip.

1700206349806.png

1700206368742.png

Night Safari
Overview: We had bought tickets for entry at 7:15pm, but when we turned up at about 6:30pm we were ushered in. It was quite busy at that time with what appeared to be a few large tour groups but it wasn't much of a wait to get in. The entrance area was chaotic with lots of people milling around, and the shops were quite crowded. I had read that it was better to walk the trails first (and by the amount of people lining up for the trams, I believed it!), so we headed towards one of the trails. We could only get as far as the first exhibit (an owl) before being told that the trail would open at 7pm. We were about 15 minutes early, but we decided to just wait there. In hindsight, we could have had a drink when we first arrived and then gone for the trails. It's always fun to see animals, but most were animals I've seen at local zoos and sometimes it was pretty hard to see much in the dark. Definitely not much good for photography unless you have a specialty camera, but I managed to get a few semi-decent shots. It was about 9pm when we finished the trails and we lined up for maybe 15-20 minutes for a tram. The line had dwindled even more by the time we were at the front - again, if we'd stopped for a drink first we probably could have walked straight on. For anyone familiar with the tram ride at Werribee Zoo, that's kind of what I was expecting - to be pretty much surrounded by animals all the way along, through open exhibits. It was definitely more of a ride past animals than through, and sometimes it was a decent pause between exhibits.

Food: We finished off the evening with a drink at the food court area. Looked like lots of decent options there for meals, and by the time we arrived, they'd run out of Singapore Slings. Still a pleasant place to sit quietly with a drink though (which may not have been said for dinner time).

Crowds: Started out terribly but once we were on the trails, the crowds spread out nicely and there were lots of moments where there was no one around (which was kind of spooky to be honest lol!). Definitely recommend the strategy of hitting the trails first and saving the tram ride for later in the evening (I would even go as far as recommending after 9:30pm).

Cost: See above for zoo entry costs. We also bought our drinks here but no other additional costs - the tram ride is included. The Grab back to the hotel set us back SGD $21.20.

Worth it? I'm glad we did it, and it was fun at the time, but if I was short on time I wouldn't bother. It was kind of a let down after Werribee Zoo! The novelty of seeing the animals at night wasn't enough for me.

1700206413464.png

Day 2 - Theme Park Day

While I would usually choose to go to a theme park during the week, we decided it was worth battling the potential crowds for the best chance at decent weather given the forecast for the rest of our trip. For those who are not familiar with Singapore, Universal Studios is located on Sentosa Island, which is a short cable car or monorail ride or stroll across the boardwalk.

Cable Car to Sentosa Island
Overview: The cable car leaves from the VivoCity shopping centre, which is at the end of the Circle or North East train lines (the station is called HarbourFront). For us, we just needed a 10 minute walk along the river to get to Clarke Quay station on the North East line, then it was a quick direct ride on the train from there. It's a bit of a maze to get from the train station to the cable car station, but if you follow the signs you'll get there eventually. As well as going to Sentosa, it also heads slightly inland to a station on a hill among some jungle. I'd been there on a previous trip so we didn't bother. There's also a small network of cable cars you can use for getting around Sentosa once you get there. They currently have a Pokemon overlay, and we were lucky enough to get a cute Christmas themed car. It is kind of tricky to find your way around once you get to the island. It's about a 15 minute walk to Universal down a decent hill, and we didn't really see any signs to follow - I just used Google Maps to navigate. We decided to cut the walk a little shorter by taking the free monorail for the end part of the trip.

Crowds: For a Sunday morning, this was insanely quiet. We just walked straight up to the ticket window, purchased our tickets and then walked straight up to the cable car and straight on to the next car coming through. I was hopeful that we might get one to ourselves since it was so quiet, but we did still have to share with another couple who must have been coming from the other station.

Cost: We purchased a 'sky pass', which gave us unlimited use of the cable car to and around Sentosa until close of business (9:30pm I think). It was SGD $35 each. We ended up only using it to get to Sentosa so definitely not the best value for us! A round trip ticket is only SGD $15 each. We did get an aquarium ticket added for an extra SGD $40 each, which is a saving of SGD $3 each. There was also an option to bundle Universal tickets but we'd already purchased ours online.

Worth it? Definitely the best way to get to the island for first timers, but I would suggest just purchasing the round trip ticket unless you specifically plan to use the cable car network on Sentosa.

1700461480155.png

1700461492952.png

Universal Studios
Overview: I'd read online that Universal opened at 10am on weekends, so had planned to arrive a little before then to get a jump on the crowds and the weather, which was due to turn at about lunch time. We didn't arrive until nearly 11am. To my dismay, there were long lines at the entrance, but I soon figured out that it was actually opening at 11am! We joined a line and waited about 10 minutes to get to the front, where I showed the tickets I'd purchased online and were told we needed to exchange them for a voucher. We found the ticket booth and lined up again, only to be told that we needed to make a reservation first! Getting frustrated, and having trouble with our reservation, I lined up again (the lines had really died down by this time) to get some more assistance. Luckily the third time was a charm. We got our tickets and walked straight in.

I might do a breakdown of all the attractions we hit up. B is not a rollercoaster fan so most of these I rode myself. Didn't realise before because my previous visits have been with other coaster fans, but there's really not a lot of other attractions. Despite the forecast and the weather looking a little iffy at times, it never actually did rain all day.
  • Battlestar Galactica: I hit this first since it's always been closed on previous visits. Awesome high thrills coaster. My favourite was the Cylon side which is a suspended coaster with a few loops and inversions. The Human side was fun too, but didn't go upside down at all.
  • Jurassic Park: This was one of the very few attractions B got to experience. Pretty much the same the world over. I remembered the t-rex at the end moving but perhaps I am misremembering. We got soaked.
  • Canopy Flyer: I didn't think this looked too bad so convinced B to ride. Unfortunately we ended up in the backwards facing seats which added a whole new dimension. B was a bit green when we got off and was pretty much done for the day after that. I thought it was fun though, and it was nice to get views over the park.
  • Puss In Boots: Actually wasn't a huge fan of this coaster. It had potential to be fun and the story was quite good, but it was very jerky with lots of stop start.
  • Donkey Live: Comedy show featuring Donkey, chatting live with some of the kids in the audience. Would have been fun for those involved but was a bit boring for me. B was quite impressed with the technology and thought it was pretty good.
  • Enchanted Airways: Fairly run-of-the-mill family coaster. Decent fun for me.
  • Shrek 4D: 3D movie with some fun effects. Somehow despite the chairs moving, B still managed to fall asleep 😂
  • The Mummy: The same all over the world I think. One of my favourites though so no complaints! Although this one did break down briefly once while I was waiting in line and again just as we finishing the ride. So much fun though!
  • Transformers: This is one where I come off looking a little green, but B was fine and it's always fun despite making me a bit dizzy!
Food: We were actually going to get frappes from Starbucks when we first arrived after the trauma of actually getting in lol! But it was going to take too long. We also passed a bakery on arrival which had a very long line coming out of it. B ended up getting some lunch at Goldilocks while I was riding the Puss In Boots coaster so I got some too when I joined him. Pretty standard fried chicken, although we did both enjoy the accompaniment, which seemed like some sort of corn chowder. I actually recommend the Malaysian Street Food Market which is just outside Universal Studios. we ate dinner there later.

Crowds: Surprisingly low. Most rides were a walk on. Even for the most popular coasters I only waited 15 minutes. The only exception was The Mummy, which could have been about a 25 minute wait due to the break down while I was in line.

Cost: Again, we did not plan this well. I purchased tickets online thinking that it would save us lining up once we got there. There is actually a dated ticket you can purchase for SGD $71 each, which wouldn't have required reservations. However, in my haste, I purchased the open ticket for SGD $82 each. If I was going again, I would just purchase the bundle at the cable car. I can't remember how much lunch was, around SGD $15 each I think for a meal including drink.

Worth it? I actually have mixed feelings about this one. For me, it was great for a rollercoaster fix, but still not sure whether it was the best use of time and money. There are lots of other activities on Sentosa that I think we both would have enjoyed more overall.

1700463931867.png

1700464111997.png
As close as I'll get to a Disney castle for a while!

S.E.A. Aquarium
Overview: It was close to 4pm by the time we entered the aquarium (with a listed closing time of 5pm). If we hadn't already bought tickets we wouldn't have bothered, but it ended up pretty much being the highlight of the day! Great variety of exhibits, and it was lovely to be out of the heat. They have a massive open aquarium which we spent a long time at just sitting and relaxing. We may have just been lucky with the timing, but there were lots of divers around who were very interactive and happy to pose for pictures. There were some cool displays on bioluminescence etc on the way out too. The hour or so was enough for us, but we may have stayed longer if there wasn't any time pressure.

Food: We weren't looking for food or drinks here so didn't take any notice.

Crowds: Actually surprisingly busy for nearly closing time (although we were still wandering out a bit after 5pm and there was still no mention of closing yet). Still plenty of room to spread out and find a space.

Cost: See above for entrance costs - we purchased bundled with our cable car tickets.

Worth it? This honestly wasn't even on my list, but it should have been! Very enjoyable and a great inside activity out of the heat.

1700464735195.png

1700464747627.png

Hard Rock Hotel
Overview: There used to be a Hard Rock Cafe on Sentosa, so I suggested we head there for a drink and maybe something for dinner. Unfortunately it turned out that it had closed down, so we just went over to Hard Rock Hotel instead and had a drink in their bar. It was something B had been keen on. Seemed like a bit of a walk but wasn't too far really. We got instructions for the walk back to the Universal Studios area and walked a more pleasant way through some hotels.

Food: Was a pretty basic menu so we just stuck to drinks. I had the half price cocktail of the hour.

Crowds: We were the only people in the bar.

Cost: At half price, the cost wasn't too bad. Full price was quite a lot though!

Worth it? We were both decidedly underwhelmed and agreed it hadn't really been worth the short walk. B would have always wondered though so I think it was still worth experiencing.

1700465290637.png

Day 3 - Gardens & Chinatown

Since the weather hadn't hit yet, we decided to take our chances with some more outdoor activities today. We ended up with a decent bit of rain in the afternoon.

Singapore Botanic Garden including National Orchid Garden
Overview: The gardens are quite large with Botanic Gardens train station at the northern end and Napier train station at the southern end. The National Orchid Garden is kind of in the middle but slightly closer to the southern end. Since Botanic Gardens was a direct train ride for us, we arrived at the northern end and walked about 20 minutes through the gardens to the orchid garden. It was a nice walk but we didn't see anything particularly fascinating. We exited via the southern end, which seemed to have more that I might have been interested in. There were a couple of little museum type buildings where we took shelter during a downpour.

The orchid garden is quite fascinating, with a huge variety of flowers and interesting configurations including some lovely plant tunnels. There is one completely enclosed area for cooler climate orchids which was a lovely respite from the heat about halfway through my walk. It's quite a large area and I spent an hour or so exploring. With the large variety of species, I'm guessing that there would be flowers regardless of what time of year you go. It was certainly lovely in early November.

Food: The little cafe just across from the entrance to the orchid garden was a lovely place to have a little rest. It's a semi-open cafe so there was no air-con, but was still very pleasant sitting undercover with an iced beverage. We didn't have anything to eat, but the food I saw coming out looked nice. There was also a little takeaway kiosk available if you didn't want to sit down.

Crowds: There were a few people around but mostly easy enough to avoid. Weekends might be more crowded.

Cost: The gardens in general are free to enter, but entry to the orchid garden is SGD $15 each.

Worth it? Very worth it for anyone who loves plants/gardens/flowers. Was a highlight of our trip.

1700794400738.png

1700794497655.png

1700794693688.png

Hard Rock Cafe
Overview: Hard Rock Cafe (and the whole Orchard Road precinct really) aren't far from the Botanic Gardens, so I suggested we head there for a late lunch since B had seemed particularly excited about Hard Rock. We took the train to Orchard Boulevard and walked from there down the street. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to get off at Orchard and walk through the shopping malls.

Food: I had the chicken quesadilla, which was actually quite good but ridiculously overpriced. B's meal wasn't anything memorable as the only thing I remember was how expensive it was. We both ordered overpriced cocktails but B didn't like his so I got both and he got a beer.

Crowds: The place was deserted (eerily so) except for a particularly rowdy group at the bar.

Cost: Both our meals (mine was a smaller serving) and 3 drinks set us back nearly SGD $100.

Worth it? Absolutely not. Definitely wouldn't waste my time and money.

Chinatown Wandering
Overview: B had been very keen to check out Chinatown, but not anything specific. Because it was still raining and we we didn't really know where the closest train station was, we just got a Grab to take us to 'Chinatown'. We could have easily taken a train from Orchard to Maxwell station in the heart of Chinatown. We were dropped off at an indoor market and just started wandering. B passed on checking out the visitor information centre near the Buddha Tooth Relic temple - I still maintain it probably would have been a good idea! We found somewhere for ice-cream near the Sri Mariammann temple. By then the rain had cleared up enough to wander down Pagoda Street - the traditional style shopping street. We'd kind of had enough by then so we just jumped on the train at Chinatown station and headed back to the hotel.

Food: I'm sure there are some amazing food options in the area, but we really wanted somewhere to just sit with a quiet drink, and didn't really see anything suitable.

Crowds: Being afternoon and a bit rainy, there weren't that many people around. The couple of shops that we wandered into were empty.

Cost: Since we didn't really do anything apart from wandering around looking, this was a free activity (although we did spend money on an ice-cream and some inexpensive souvenirs).

Worth it? I would have liked to go in with more of a plan and spent more time - I think it could have been a worthwhile experience and kind of regret not having at least one meal there!

1700801147987.png

1700801171071.png

1700801191791.png

We finished the day with massages and a late dinner in our hotel area.

Thian Hock Keng Temple
We actually discovered this the following morning, but I decided to include with the rest of the Chinatown related post. I had volunteered to pick up something for a colleague that she'd left at the Sofitel on a recent visit. We took the train direct from Fort Canning to Telok Ayer station, and then walked down Telok Ayer Street to the hotel. We jumped back on the train at Tanjong Pagar and criss-crossed our way from there to the Marina Bay area (changed train lines at least twice).

Overview: We stumbled across this little gem while wandering down Telok Ayer Street (quite enjoyable in itself). We spent probably 15 minutes wandering around the grounds taking in all the elaborate details (there was no photography allowed in the main pagoda, but everywhere else was fine). There are several other courtyards around the outside of this main area. You could do a self-guided tour via an app but we didn't bother.

Food: We didn't stop for refreshments, but there were plenty of appealing options along Telok Ayer.

Crowds: There were a few people around but not too crowded. It was easy enough to avoid people for photographs.

Cost: Entry was free.

Worth it? I wouldn't necessarily make a special effort to visit, but if you're in the area, it's well worth a look.

1701124927717.png

Last edited:
Day 4 - Marina Bay Day

Singapore Flyer (including Time Capsule)
Overview: Singapore Flyer is a 5 minute walk from Promenade station, which would have been a direct train ride for us on the Downtown line if we hadn't had to go via the Sofitel. We entered the complex from the river end - the main ticket window is at the other end (but it's not a long walk through a nice little garden). There are ticket machines placed around the complex, but we didn't use them because they only offered a combo ticket with the 'Time Capsule', which we hadn't been planning to bother with. At the ticket window, I discovered that it was actually included with all tickets now, and you actually have to go through there to get to the wheel.

We were pleasantly surprised by Time Capsule. It was a cute little (actually, kind of large!) exhibit that went through some of Singapore's history. Parts of it were quite interesting, but it had lots of great lighting and video effects to increase engagement. I took a lot of little video snippets instead of photos, so don't have much to choose from to upload here. We would have spent at least half an hour walking through, probably longer.

An observation wheel is always fun, and this one was no exception. The experience was definitely enhanced by having a cabin to ourselves, so we could move around wherever we wanted to see the best views at the time. It's great to see the changing view as you go around, finishing with the Marina Bay area. B also got a kick out of seeing the Grand Prix circuit. Once we were done with the wheel, we decided to walk to the Marina Bay area via the double helix bridge. It was only about a 10 minute walk to the shopping mall at the base of Marina Bay Sands, where we found a great food court for some lunch and a break.

Food: I remembered a large complex of little shops and a food court type place where we'd been planning to stop for a beverage and maybe a snack first. However, most of this was gone and there were only a couple of full restaurant type places or a little coffee kiosk on the ground level near the ticket window. We ended up getting iced coffees from there.

Crowds: The place was practically empty. Occasionally a larger group would come through, but I was able to get lots of photo and video of the Time Capsule exhibit with no other people in it, and we had a cabin all to ourselves on the wheel.

Cost: Basic tickets to the Singapore Flyer including Time Capsule were SGD $40 each.

Worth it? We really enjoyed the whole experience, was a highlight of our trip.

1701385366755.png

1701385409958.png

1701385448948.png

1701385490562.png

Gardens by the Bay - Supertree Grove (including Skyway)
Overview: We followed the signs to Gardens By the Bay from the shopping centre at Marina Bay Sands. It took us out onto a rooftop and across from there, which was a nice experience but there would also be a more indoor route with air-conditioning which might be more comfortable. The Supertree Grove is quite spectacular from a distance but it's also very interesting to see the supertrees up close. There are 2 attractions here - the skyway (raised boardwalk between supertrees) or the observation deck (around the top of the tallest supertree) - you can see both in the photo below. Unfortunately there was no combo ticket available, so we decided to just stick with the skyway. There is a ticket booth at ground level. For the skyway, you go up a lift inside a supertree at one end, and back down a lift inside another supertree at the other end. The ticket says there's a 15 minute time limit, but there's no real enforcement. We probably spent 20 minutes up there. We could see the clouds rolling in and there was a bit of distant thunder, but it mustn't have been deemed close enough to evacuate the skyway - they will for safety if there's lightning around.

Crowds: There were a few people around. We had to line up for 5 minutes for tickets, but didn't have to line up for the lift. Now and then we had to squeeze past people on the skyway, but for the most part there was plenty of space for everyone.

Cost: Tickets for the skyway were SGD $14 each.

Worth it? It's a fun thing to do and relatively inexpensive, but if budget is tight I wouldn't necessarily make this a priority. It's quite interesting just seeing the supertrees from the ground level.

1701385570586.png

Gardens by the Bay - Cloud Forest Dome (with Avatar overlay)
Overview: This is about a 5 minute walk through the garden from the Supertree Grove. There is also the Flower Dome, but we decided not to bother with that one since we were getting tired and B isn't really into flowers. This is a one-way experience - you enter at the iconic large waterfall, walk around the base, take the lift up to the top and then wind your way back again through the various experiences along the way. There are some amazing parts of boardwalk and with the current Avatar overlay there are some fun little surprises along the way. All with the amazing backdrop of the cloud forest plants. There are more fun surprises at the exit with some great interactive lighting effects.

Crowds: One of the most crowded places of our trip. There were lots of people at all the iconic photo opportunities, and some congestion in places on the boardwalk. It was probably just on the edge of my comfort level - it was still enjoyable, but would have been more enjoyable with fewer people!

Cost: I can't find our receipt, and can only find the cost for both domes online (which is currently SGD $53 per ticket), but I kind of remember it being SGD $40 each just for the cloud forest dome.

Worth it? This is iconic Singapore and a unique experience - I would encourage anyone visiting Singapore to do this. It's a little pricey but we still thought it was worth it. It's also a nice thing to do when you want to escape the weather (heat and/or rain!).

1701385672725.png

1701385747116.png

Marina Bay Sands Skypark
By the time we made our way to Marina Bay Sands from Gardens By the Bay, the weather had come over and they had closed the observation deck due to lightning risk. We went back the following morning as this was a 'must-do' for us.

Overview: We took the train direct to Marina Bay from Fort Canning on the Downtown line. From Marina Bay station we just followed the signs to Skypark and it was easy enough to get to. There's a ticket window but they encouraged people to use the machines instead. From there you line up to get your photo taken with a green screen (a handful of digital prints are included). They literally just took one photo before we were actually ready and then we had to move on (probably because it was so busy right at opening). From there it was another short line for the lift. The observation deck itself is not large, and there's only one corner where you can kind of see the infinity pool. On the way out, there was a stand selling printed versions of the photos we had taken on entry. Upon exiting the building, we unfortunately realised that the digital version didn't seem to be working, but that was resolved via email over the following few days.

Food: We had been looking forward to having a look around and then finding a nice table at the bar to have a refreshing beverage or 2, and maybe even some lunch, while comfortably taking in the views. Unfortunately we discovered that the bar doesn't open until 4pm on weekdays. It wasn't even midday yet, so we weren't willing to hang around that long! There was a kiosk open on the first level, but it was difficult to find a bench, and most of the benches were in the sun. B and I lucked out and managed to find one towards the exit overlooking Gardens by the Bay, but it still wasn't hugely comfortable and we just had one drink before leaving.

Crowds: We arrived right at opening time (by mistake) and there were quite long lines to purchase tickets and then for the lift to the top, and then a little congestion right at the entrance to the observation deck. If we'd gone to get a drink and come back, the crowds would have dispersed by then. Once we got to the top there were plenty of people around but it was still easy enough to find space.

Cost: Entry was SGD $32 each. We also bought our drinks at the top (but would have spent far more if the bar was open!).

Worth it? We both agreed that this was the most disappointing experience of our trip. The views were good, but we'd experienced plenty of viewpoints on the trip, and actually preferred the views that had the Marina Bay Sands in them. We managed to eek it out to about half an hour by finding a bench to have our drinks, but felt like we wanted more of an experience for the money.

1701385985231.png

1701386010084.png

1701386035496.png

Day 5 - Shopping Day

Orchard Road

Overview: With the amount of hype Orchard Road gets, we thought we'd go check it out. We literally just got off at Orchard Road station and wandered around aimlessly lol! We got lost in the maze of tunnels between shops and only checked out a very small area around the station. What we saw was pretty much just like a regular shopping centre at home but bigger and probably a larger selection of high end designer stores, which are really not our thing. Maybe we were missing the main attractions?

Food: In the basement level right near the exit from the station there was a food court where we had lunch. It was pretty busy and kind of expensive for a food court. If we'd realised how many different eateries there were in that area we would have gone somewhere different. I had Hainanese chicken and rice, and B had some dumplings. I had fond memories of lime juice from previous trips, so I got that to accompany my meal.

Later, we found some cafes overlooking the street, so we stopped there for very expensive coffee and cake. We ended up getting one of their specialty coffee cocktails with Baileys, which was delicious!

Crowds: The food areas were quite crowded (even for a late lunch), but the shopping areas weren't bad.

Cost: Depends entirely how much shopping you do!

Worth it? It was probably worth an hour or two to check out, since we'd pretty much done everything else we really wanted to do, but for us I definitely wouldn't make it a priority.

1701814811268.png

1701814829351.png

1701814844801.png

Little India
Overview: This was literally on our way home so we thought it was worth checking out. Got off at Little India station and wandered aimlessly through markets and streets to Jalan Besar station. It was extra colourful and chaotic with Deepavali decorations and crowds. We noted that this was probably the least clean area of Singapore that we'd been to. I went to use the facilities at the station and promptly decided I could hold it! Quite a strong contrast to Orchard Road!

Food: Plenty of food court type places around. We would have enjoyed a cafe or bar type place to sit with a cool drink and maybe a snack, but weren't really interested in battling the crowds for a table at a food court. The food all smelled wonderful though!

Crowds: Some very crowded areas where we could hardly move walking through the markets (I took video but no photos), but not too bad on the streets.

Cost: Free

Worth it? Was definitely worth checking out during Deepavali just for the atmosphere, but there wasn't anything of particular note that we wanted to explore further or come back to.

1701815584414.png

1701815594567.png

1701815610890.png

Let's see if I can get this thing done!

Day 6 - Airport Day

Fort Canning Park

Overview: Had a couple of hours to kill in the morning and had been eyeing off this large park near the hotel. Unfortunately the weather was uncooperative and I ended up having to cut my walk short and take a Grab back to the hotel. Lots of points of interest, including the insta-famous tree tunnel that was unfortunately closed during my visit. There is a lot of war history, including some underground tunnels which provided some respite from the rain. To get to the tunnels you have to register at the 'Battlebox' (it was free) and a guide will escort you to the entrance to the tunnels. B had decided not to join me as the park is at the top of a steep hill. That turned out to be an unfortunate decision as there were escalators!

Crowds: It was a wet weekday morning - not many people around at all!

Cost: Completely free, including the war tunnels. There was some sort of exhibition in the main building which I didn't look into - may have been a small entry fee.

Worth it? It was a large and lovely park with a lot to see and explore. Really wish I'd had more time to take it all in - I think I could have spent a large portion of a day just wandering around.

1702363193209.png

1702363235843.png

1702363271080.png

Changi Jewel
Overview: I had heard that there are some pretty amazing things to do and see at Changi Airport, so we headed there early (in a Grab). Jewel is a large shopping complex with a massive central indoor garden with waterfall, and some extra activities on the top level (for extra cost). We enjoyed exploring the garden and Super Mario photo opportunities, and browsing the shops. The terminal we departed from also had a couple of small garden areas but not a huge amount of shopping - not sure if this has mainly been moved to Jewel or if it was just a quieter terminal.

Food: Plenty of cafes, including some nice looking options on the top floor overlooking the central garden and waterfall.

Crowds: Quite crowded in parts, but still fun.

Cost: Free to explore the garden, extra cost for some of the activities at the top (can't remember the cost as we didn't do them).

Worth it? I would definitely recommend everyone arrive at the airport with enough time to spend half an hour enjoying the garden and waterfall.
1702363665695.png
1702363677242.png
1702363692353.png

1702363707217.png

Really enjoyed your report. One of my sons is leaving at the end of the month for a semester abroad in Singapore so it was a nice sneak peek.

What a great report, thanks so much for writing it!
Looks like a fun trip. I love gardens and Singapore sounds like it has heaps so would be worth a trip (we are in Perth too).

What a great report, thanks so much for writing it!
Looks like a fun trip. I love gardens and Singapore sounds like it has heaps so would be worth a trip (we are in Perth too).
Glad you enjoyed it 😊 It may seem counter-intuitive, but Singapore is one of the best places around for parks and gardens. We certainly didn't get to all of them! Such a nice easy trip from Perth too (for once lol!).

BTW your doggy is super cute 🐶😍 We're only just starting obedience training - yours looks very well established! Here we are at registration night.

1708417775033.png

Glad you enjoyed it 😊 It may seem counter-intuitive, but Singapore is one of the best places around for parks and gardens. We certainly didn't get to all of them! Such a nice easy trip from Perth too (for once lol!).

BTW your doggy is super cute 🐶😍 We're only just starting obedience training - yours looks very well established! Here we are at registration night.

View attachment 835469
Yes perth perth the end of the earth 😂
That's a very old pic, that dog is now 13 and long retired. But still doing agility with her daughter. Where were you training?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter