Question for those of you living in Southern Cali

JH87

DIS Veteran
So I am trying to gather up people's opinions and information on good places/areas to live in and reasonable apartment buildings in and around the LA area. I know there are quite a few DISers who live in So Cal and I was hoping to get some advice from you guys! I am planning on moving there next year, either summer or fall. So any advice or info would be really appreciated!

I think it depends why you are moving here and if you own a car.

If it is for the entertainment industry I recommend spending the extra $$ and living as centrally located as possible... West Hollywood area. Burbank is nice too.

I moved from Burbank to Pasadena area 5 years ago. I like Pasadena the best but it very far from the hubbub.

Yep, it definitely depends on where you want to be. We live at the OC/LA border and it's a good location for us- Dh works in LA so he's just a half hour away and I'm 20ish mins away from Disney..works for me :banana: Also another must for our family was being coastal. I love our city!

I like living at the Beach because when it is 110 in the Valley and 95 in Central LA, it's only 75 here! :teeth: And we're less than half an hour from DLR!

I agree that more info would help in us giving you some good recommendations.

Right now we live in the "Inland Empire" which is okay but I don't like how hot it gets in the summer. Definitely cheaper out here though and you're about the same distance from the mountains, the beach, the desert, LA and DLR (DLR is actually slightly closer). And where I live we get snow about once a year that only lasts a day so it's fun to play in but we don't have to deal with the headaches that come with living where it snows.

We used to live in Orange County and I love south orange county. We lived in Aliso Viejo which is great but it's not the cheapest place to live. I really like Pasadena too. I've never lived there but my SIL does.

I like living at the Beach because when it is 110 in the Valley and 95 in Central LA, it's only 75 here! :teeth: And we're less than half an hour from DLR!

:rotfl: Yep! I love that we survived the "Hottest" days on record last month and never even ran our a/c. I grew up in the IE so feel I put my time in.

:rotfl: Yep! I love that we survived the "Hottest" days on record last month and never even ran our a/c. I grew up in the IE so feel I put my time in.

Yes...*sigh*.... did I mention that I loved living in Orange County? Okay, so Aliso Viejo is not technically at the beach but we got the free A/C from the ocean. I miss that. :sad1:

I was up in LA about 3 blocks from the Grove that day and driving home I heard that the temperature reading at the Grove said 119 degrees :scared1: I was happy that I had my A/C on for when I got home!

Thanks you guys!
I just wanted to get some idea, I'm gonna be looking for a marketing job in the area but dont have anything set up yet. once i get a job and know the location of where thats gonna be i will be able to narrow it down. It's quite some time away so i just wanted to have a few areas in mind. :goodvibes

What kind of budget are you working with around? Alot of places are pricey, even some bad neighborhoods. Crazy Cali prices!!! HaHa.

..jillian if you moved so you could be like no more then 20 min from the park that would be a nice thing! the apartments though near the park are ex pensive, well to me they are, but very nice, they have loft type apartments etc..

Well, we live in East Hollywood near Silver Lake. We live in a very trendy area. We live near the Freeways and downtown and the Hollywood sign. For a 1 bedroom we pay 1100-. The parking is a drag on Wednesdays and Fridays, but as long as we remember to move the car on those days, we are fine. Ive lived in NYC, Las Vegas and Hollywood. Hollywood by far has been the most fun. We live near everything, nothing is too far except for traffic getting in the way. A ton of things to do .And Disneyland is just about 35 min away on average.
If you move up my way, hit me up, Ill help you with neighborhoods and areas!
:)

Thank you everyone for all the help!!
I will definably revisit this thread when the time comes closer to moving. I still have a while before anything can really happen, but i've gotten some good info so far! :)
DIS board members are so helpful :goodvibes

I live in a great area that is centrally located to many things (except Disneyland!). It's a great area to be in if you don't have a car, or if you just don't want to have to drive a lot. I'm very close to Farmers Market and The Grove. Beverly Hills is right down the street. Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Melrose and Santa Monica are up the street. LACMA and the Tar Pits are in another direction down the street. CBS, the Writers Guild, Screen Actors Guild/AFTRA, E! Entertainment - all kinds of entertainment companies and advertising agencies are right around here. In fact, there are always apartments for rent on my street - it seems to be very easy to move in around here.

I live in a great area that is centrally located to many things (except Disneyland!). It's a great area to be in if you don't have a car, or if you just don't want to have to drive a lot. I'm very close to Farmers Market and The Grove. Beverly Hills is right down the street. Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Melrose and Santa Monica are up the street. LACMA and the Tar Pits are in another direction down the street. CBS, the Writers Guild, Screen Actors Guild/AFTRA, E! Entertainment - all kinds of entertainment companies and advertising agencies are right around here. In fact, there are always apartments for rent on my street - it seems to be very easy to move in around here.

thanks for the info Sherry! Would you mind giving me a few of the names of the apartments in that area so I could do a bit more research on it?

thanks for the info Sherry! Would you mind giving me a few of the names of the apartments in that area so I could do a bit more research on it?

Jillian - absolutely! The next time I go out and walk either way down the block, I will make note of some of the names and then send you a PM. I always see For Rent signs all up and down the block. It's a good neighborhood, so I'm not sure why there is so much availability all the time but there is!! Many of the apartments don't have names for the buildings. They are just nice buildings with many units inside. But there are also a few with names on them, so I will try to at least get those for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter