Question about beaches

Ruby's?? Is that Ruby Tuesdays chain restaurant?? Sounds like it is not the way people are speaking about history.

Ruby's?? Is that Ruby Tuesdays chain restaurant?? Sounds like it is not the way people are speaking about history.

No, not Ruby Tuesday's. Ruby's is a diner. Here is their website

www.rubys.com

We ate there simply because it was convenient and looked like it had some decent food. It turned out to be pretty tasty (normal diner food) but the view was gorgeous! We also ate at one at the airport again for ease.

:rotfl2:

That's what I thought.... Thank you for clarifying that up for me

That's why I mentioned Dana Point - my 6 year old granddaughter loves it there -tide pools and a playground. I can't think of anything at Huntington except volleyball courts and sand - and the pier to walk around. Across PCH is a wetlands with a lot of wild birds so if you've got a nature lover that could be fun. You do find people flying kites a lot -and selling them there. Don't play right around the pier -it can be rough/dirty/full of surfers. You need to move a bit to either side. There is a city beach and a state beach and both have parking lots too - some meters, some $$$ but all day parking.
I can't picture a playground at Laguna either.

Going north a bit is Long Beach - there's a "mother's beach" there that apparently is more calm for water play ( think there's one in newport beach as well). And there is a seaport area with a carousel as well as a really excellent aquarium (Long Beach). That's not much further from DL - a little more crowded generally. It's also where the Queen Mary is ( not much interest for a 5 year old though)

Maybe this will help:
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/beach-swings-playgrounds.html

Long Beach is a good choice if your little one is scared of waves, since it is a sheltered harbor. During the summer it is also less crowded compared to Huntington and Laguna.

Here's a picture of a park along Long Beach shore. This is Bluff Park.
CIMG0824.jpg

Redondo Beach has Seaside Lagoon.
We like Huntington beach as well, but it doesn't have a playground. We took the kids to Corona Del Mar when the boys were young and they really loved it. The waves were smaller 'cause there's a breakwall. The water is warmer, too. They have a rental place and snack stand and bathrooms. The parking was ample when we were there and there wasn't a cost. I don't recall a playground though, either.
If you're traveling south, I'd say my fav. beach for families is Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. There are bathrooms, lifeguard stations and a great playground. They have firepits and bbq's, though the firepits are tough to get into. This website has pictures of the beach and playgrounds.... http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/moonlight.htm

How does Moonlight Beach compare to Coronado Island Beach by the Del or LaJolla Shores Beach?

Will be in San Diego for a few days before DL..will be staying in Coronado Island while there..Want to do 2 other day trips to beaches while there...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! LOVE THE BEACH!

Thanks very much!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I just heard on the radio this morning that the beach on Coronado Island is considered the 4th best in the country! So sounds like a great choice. If you're staying at the Hotel Del Coronado I hear that's a real experience - GF was based on it - even if you're not you may want to stroll through it.

I don't know the others I'm afraid..

How does Moonlight Beach compare to Coronado Island Beach by the Del or LaJolla Shores Beach?

Will be in San Diego for a few days before DL..will be staying in Coronado Island while there..Want to do 2 other day trips to beaches while there...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! LOVE THE BEACH!

Thanks very much!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

We might be in the minority, but while I really enjoyed the Hotel Del, I just wasn't pleased by the beach there. First of all, there's no playground for younger kids. We found the wind and waves to be stronger, the kids thought the water was colder. I thought it was a beautiful romantic beach, but not somewhere I'd take the kids back to.
We go to Moonlight regularly because it has that full playground. We've liked the waves and lifeguards there, too. Nice clean beach.

OK, quick question if anyone can answer it...

I don't "do" crowds. I mean, I love going to the parks but I haven't been going too often in the summer because the crowds really really bother me. It actually causes me anxiety.:guilty: Long story short...when I go it will be for a week in the middle of June, and the beaches will naturally be crowded.

My mom and I decided to go to the beach on a Thursday the week of our trip. So what would the calmest beach be? Doesn't need to be spectacular or have anything special, but just a nice calm beach with not TOO many people. If you can answer this question then thank you, thank you, thank you!

If not, thanx anyway! popcorn::

Finding this entertaining - I never think of my home town as a vacation resort - I walk 1 mile to that beach in the picture most Saturday mornings to watch the dogs frolic at dog beach ( separately marked - up a couple of blocks.) It takes me about 30 min to get to Disneyland - but then there's the parking entry and taking the tram - so an hour to get in somedays.

Ruby's is good - 50s style diner. They validate parking in the Pier structure ( a couple of blocks up off of Main street - pretty clearly marked). Gets you a couple of hours free. The downtown area has some fun/unique places -especially if you're a surfer ( I'm not ). Good bike path -- I'm sure there are rentals. Duke's is pretty good as well - pricey though. Fabulous desert - think it's a Hina Pie -- anyway, it's an ice cream/macadamia pie that's big enough for 2 or even 3!

I do like Laguna for pure beauty - very dramatic. Also Laguna is full of art galleries and cute little places to eat/buy unusual things. I think it has more personality than HB. Not as much sand -but in a way I like that -- easy to clean your feet off on the grass.

There are fun tide pools for kids in Dana Point. Getting fairly far south though - quite a bit further to DLR.

We are new to CA...almost one year AND we absolutely LOVE it. :love: We live in the OC. We feel like we are on vacation every day of the week. :cool1:

:welcome: everyone to ORANGE COUNTY!!! :sunny:

We ride bikes at Huntington Beach all the time. We enjoy strolling around Laguna Beach and all the stores. Ruby's is also in Laguna Beach. Yummy!
Newport Beach and Balboa Island are lovely. The drive along Pacific Coast Highway from Huntington Beach to Laguna Beach is breathe-taking. :cool1:

That's the original Ruby's. I wouldn't usually recommend Ruby's, but just for the history, that one would be worth a visit.

All the beach towns have their own free publications that list things like restaurants. I ordered all of them, just in case we decide to stop somewhere else along the way during our visit.

Where at on the sites did you find the free publications. I can't seem to find one on the Huntington beach one.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter