Pulled Pork for a Crowd

LynnTH

DIS Veteran
So, DS is graduating this year and trying to get a head start with planning the party. He wants pulled pork for the party. I just made a list of people who will be invited and we are over 250. I know they won't all come but will probably still need pulled pork for about 200 (better to have too much). I am going to assume 2 per person adults and 1 per person kids. So, probably need enough to make about 300 sandwiches.

Does anyone have any EASY recipes to do this. Will be using Electric Roasting Pans so need a recipe for that. And will 3 electric pans be enough.

Not sure what else we will be serving. But the easier the better. Thinking beans in crockpots and probably chips and vegis. And desserts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coleslaw is a really easy side, especially if you prebuy the dressing and the cabbage/carrots pre-shredded (or you have a good food processor that will shred for you).

So, I'd do the traditional southern thing - Pulled Pork Sandwiches (I'd leave the BBQ sauce to add), Coleslaw (next to the pork so people can use it to top the sandwiches or on the side) (Cold), Baked Beans (Crockpots), Mac and Cheese (Trays), and Sliced Watermelon (Cold). Add on Chips/Pretzels and desserts and you're done. Vegetarians will be able to have the Mac and Cheese for a main, Gluten-Free could have the pork as a main if the BBQ sauce is added later (or you get a gluten-free sauce)...so you cover a lot of dietary needs without any extra work...

I can't help with how to cook it b/c I can honestly say I've never cooked for more than 50 and wouldn't know how to do it with the resources I have (cooking for 50 in my small kitchen was crazy enough:))...

Ive never cooked for a crowd that large, but I always do pulled pork in the crock pot. I buy a roast of some sort, put it in the crock with a pack of liptons onion soup dry mix, and let it cook on low for 6 hours or until it pulls apart easily. Then I take it out, pull it and add a little sauce (I use sweet baby rays) just too keep it moist. I will then keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to serve it. Then, I just heat it up with more sauce in a skillet.

I imagine if you had a few crocks going the day before, you could get enough pork ready and pulled, then warm it in your electric roasting pans the day of? Just a thought...Again, I have no experience feeding large crowds :-)

for $12 on amazon you can get a copy of todd wilbur's 'top secret restaurant recipes-2'. in it is the recipie for the hard rock cafes 'pig sandwich' and their coleslaw with instructions for 3-4 pound roasts (we've done multiple roasts at the same time-it reheats very well if you want to do days in advance). VERY good recipe w/ easy to follow instructions (you might want to opt for a commercial bbq sauce vs. the one they use unless you know the crowd likes vinegar based sauce).

the coleslaw recipe is SUPER EASY and really good.

I do pulled chicken thighs in my oven low and slow (275 F for about 3 hours). You could the pork the same way. Not sure how many tray you can fit in your oven.

for $12 on amazon you can get a copy of todd wilbur's 'top secret restaurant recipes-2'. in it is the recipie for the hard rock cafes 'pig sandwich' and their coleslaw with instructions for 3-4 pound roasts (we've done multiple roasts at the same time-it reheats very well if you want to do days in advance). VERY good recipe w/ easy to follow instructions (you might want to opt for a commercial bbq sauce vs. the one they use unless you know the crowd likes vinegar based sauce).

the coleslaw recipe is SUPER EASY and really good.
\

The Wilbur recipe is all over the web...

http://caramasak.blogspot.com/2008/12/hard-rock-cafe-pig-sandwichc4r1s3nd1r1p.html

Thanks everyone. Hoping someone replys who have cooked this much. Have no idea how much pork to buy. Will most likely have to make a day or two before and then keep warm in the electric roasters.

To specifically answer one of your questions, the recommendation from the deli that we bought our meats from was 5# will make about 20 sandwiches.

For what it is worth-my experience is from Dd's party, we had ~100 people there.

Make a list of what you anticipate your menu to be. Figure out what are the things you "have" to make (ours was 20 pounds of a family recipe of German Potato Salad). Firgure out financially what makes sense for you to make (for us, it was the coleslaw-coleslaw shreds and coleslaw sauce; and the layered taco dips. Wasn't difficult, but I made about 5 or 6 trays, and only put the tomatoes on shortly before I brought out each tray). Both of those where pretty inexpensive with buying the stuff at Costco.

We made Italian shredded beef. We picked up BBQ pulled pork, BBQ shredded, and ham slices "hot" from a catering deli. We also got a cut-up fruit salad from the deli too.

We had a total of 20# of meat. We did not have a lot leftover; however, we also picked up some cold cuts and bread, for a reserve- either for very late people after the kitchen was closed, or if we would have run short.

With that much food, figure out your fridge space! Getting our food hot was perfect, I didn't have to worry about heating it up, or where to store that food before I heated it up.

And-most grad parties are a combination of people who are only going to "your" party and people who are going to several parties who might not be eating full meals at every party. So your estimates might be a little high.

I make shredded beef on a regular basis, and if I make it for a family function, I would make it and freeze it in advance by a couple of weeks, so in your case, I would do that as well. Most likely you will be busy enough in the day or two before your party!

That's a good idea about making it well in advance. Cooking is not my thing so trying to find a simple but tried and true recipe. Been googling and looked on Pinterest but not a lot for huge groups. I may be overestimating a bit. Our neighbor is having her sons the same day. We planned that as we have a lot of the same friends and neighbors and they can hit both in one shot. So we have about 100 people or so will be invited to both parties.

You could always call a bbq place and ask for a quote for pulled pork for 250 ppl (to find out how many pounds they recommend)

We feed our orchestra kids pulled pork (for either sandwiches and/or nachos) and we go with 8 pounds for 20 kids. Some will hv seconds.

Pioneer woman has a great spicy one, with Dr. Pepper in it. Has a good kick (we feed our wrestling coaches that one).

Coleslaw, baked beans, chips and cake sound easy and great.

That's a good idea about making it well in advance. Cooking is not my thing so trying to find a simple but tried and true recipe. Been googling and looked on Pinterest but not a lot for huge groups. I may be overestimating a bit. Our neighbor is having her sons the same day. We planned that as we have a lot of the same friends and neighbors and they can hit both in one shot. So we have about 100 people or so will be invited to both parties.

Honestly, if you just put it in a crockpot with plenty of salt and a little liquid smoke and let it go overnight on low, it will be perfect to shred the next morning. Have sauce to add on the table (or after you shred it and store it) and you're good to go. And I wanted to say, if you buy the butt boneless, you can drop 15-20lbs off your total (the reason the number is so high is b/c butt-in pork has a large bone)...

And if you keep it sauceless til serving (or keep 1 tray sauceless), low carbers can also have this as their main protein:)...

It depends on what type of pulled pork you want. We almost always crock a Boston Butt, pull it, sauce it in Carolina Gold and crock it for at least 30 min more, that's for every day of the week night dinner.
Now my daddy will smoke his for 8+ hours, shave it and let each person sauce their own.
Both are very good.

For a crowd this large, I'd personally do the crock or counter top oven roasters, you'd need to borrow some from your mama and neighbors to have enough, and give yourself plenty of time, start them staggered times, so you have time to pull and sauce.

I love the Pioneer Woman's Spicy Shredded Pork. It's easy, not actually spicy though!

Cooking for 200 is a lot of work. I would echo the thought of checking with a local place on bulk pricing.

For 200 sandwiches at 1\4 lb of pork each is at least 50lbs of pork, thats 10 butts. You'd probably be better off doing it in an oven in batches.

What about hot dogs and beer brats ;)

At this point I'm thinking Little Caesars sounds good. $5 pizzas. Can't beat that!! Just kidding.good idea to check with a local BBQ place. Will also see how much the pork is at Sams or Costco.

Will have to think about the coleslaw too. I don't like the stuff and it's hard for me to make something I don't like. Maybe find a plac for that. Don't like beans either but figured I could get the big cans at Sams and just keep in crock pots. Looking for easy stuff.

At this point I'm thinking Little Caesars sounds good. $5 pizzas. Can't beat that!! Just kidding.good idea to check with a local BBQ place. Will also see how much the pork is at Sams or Costco.

Will have to think about the coleslaw too. I don't like the stuff and it's hard for me to make something I don't like. Maybe find a plac for that. Don't like beans either but figured I could get the big cans at Sams and just keep in crock pots. Looking for easy stuff.

If you don't like coleslaw, I wouldn't make it. You can get the same sweet/sour fresh veg (which you are looking for to cut through the fattiness of the meat) with a cucumber and dill salad. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-and-sour-cucumbers-with-fresh-dill-109713

To make this ahead, make sure you really let the cucumbers drain before finishing the recipe, and then I would add a TB of olive oil and the vinegar to taste (I might start a TB or 2 under and add more the next day if it's not sour enough - and if you reduce the vinegar, remember to reduce the sugar by the same ratio). If you do the work the day before, it should be fine (and actually better b/c the flavors need some time to meld). I don't use this exact recipe, but there are plenty on the web and I do a rice wine or white wine vinegar/olive oil/salt/pepper/dill/sugar combo that I "Rachel Ray" measure, so this is really close:)...

It's an easy (and cheap) recipe to try on the family (to get it right) before trying for the event. You can also even use dried dill if you are doing the day before, but remember, you need less dry dill than fresh dill:)...

And if you hate baked beans, don't make them b/c you'll be stuck with the leftovers and who wants to throw food away:)...Grilled corn (whole ears, 1/2 ears, or cobettes) would also work really well or a green bean casserole (done with fresh veg or the traditional Thanksgiving way)...you could use the oven for the green bean casserole and crocks for the mac and cheese if you go this route...

And there's always potato salad...although with possible rolls and mac and cheese, I'd be leery adding more really heavy starches...but then again, people love heavy starches:)...

Let me start by saying that I am lazy, but I have also cooked for lots of crowds. Some things to think about. Are the people you invited visiting other parties that day or will they spend the whole day at your house. It makes a difference because if they are visiting other parties, they won't eat as much as they will if they are staying all day.

For the pulled pork I would plan 4 sandwiches per pound. Get the 12 per pack buns because they are smaller. I would also add hot dogs to your meats. I use the crock-pot way of cooking hot dogs for a crowd. http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2012/04/hot-dogs-for-crowd.html It will save you money because people will usually take a hot dog and a pork sandwich instead of 2 pork sandwiches and hot dogs are cheaper. My recipe is beyond simple. Salt and pepper your meat and cover with root beer (cheap is fine) and BBQ sauce and cook low and slow. To pull it, add the broth back into the meat and put the meat and the broth in you mixer and turn on low and it will shred it perfectly.

Next I would do baked beans. Add ketchup, mustard and brown sugar to the canned beans for a great tasting bean. They can be served room temp so you can bake them ahead and then cover well. If you want to cook ahead and keep really warm, put them in a cooler. It will keep them really hot.

I would also make slaw. Just buy bags of slaw mix and add mayo that you thin with vinegar, salt and pepper, sugar and mustard.

Another easy salad is deli macaroni salad that you add a bag of frozen peas and some cheddar cheese to. Every time I make it, its one of the first things gone. Add a veggie tray, chips and cake and you have a nice selection of food that is easy and won't break the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter