Probably a very obvious answer but can't think now

vinmar4

DIS Veteran
So, my UY is Dec, looking into going this Dec for the Holidays but only have 3 points lefts so I would need to borrow from the points getting Dec 1 to use for that same month later on. Now , lets say we have to cancel. How would that work? will we loose the points? Until when do we have to use them if we cancel with more than 30 days in advance. Can we bank them since we were going to use them after Dec 1, 2017.
Confused :headache:
thank you

You can't bank points after you borrow them.

If you need to borrow for a Dec 2017 trip with a Dec UY, then you're borrowing 2018 points, yes?

(You already previously used or borrowed all but 3 of your 2017 points. Otherwise, you get your 2017 points on Dec 1st).

Once borrowed from 2018, those points are good until Nov 30, 2018.

You would not need to borrow. You will get points in Dec 2017. You are making a reservation in Dec 2017. So the reservation and the points are in the same use year. What matters in the date of your stay, not the date when you make the reservation. If you have 3 points remaining from Dec 2016, you have until July to bank them into the 2017 use year. You will want to make sure that they use the banked points first for your reservation. You can do this when you bank, but you can go ahead and make the reservation now.

If you had to cancel, you would have until Nov 2018 to use the points. This is why a December use year is good for a December vacation. If something goes wrong, you have the rest of the year to use the points. You can even bank them (by July).

Be sure not to cancel within 2 months so the points don't go into holding status.

This answer assumes you still have your DEC 2017 points, and have not borrowed them into this year.

I have 3 to bank by July and will get my points on Dec 1, 2017
Is that what you meant?

You would not need to borrow. You will get points in Dec 2017. You are making a reservation in Dec 2017. So the reservation and the points are in the same use year. What matters in the date of your stay, not the date when you make the reservation. If you have 3 points remaining from Dec 2016, you have until July to bank them into the 2017 use year. You will want to make sure that they use the banked points first for your reservation. You can do this when you bank, but you can go ahead and make the reservation now.

Ok, so I can just make the Christmas reservation not borrowing and if we need to cancel, I can bank them by July 2018, yes :yay:
that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.
thank you for clarifying :thanks:

I have 3 to bank by July and will get my points on Dec 1, 2017
Is that what you meant?
Yes. Although you have not provided enough details to be sure. How many points are left from Dec 2015? From Dec 2016 (3?)
And how many are left from Dec 2017? (All of them, or have you borrowed some?)

I think of the ones from 2017 as the ones that I will be getting Dec 1, 2017

December can be a confusing use year. Your 2017 points can be used between Dec 2017 and. Nov 2018.
They can also be borrowed into the Dec 2016 UY or banked into the Dec 2018 UY.

I think of the ones from 2017 as the ones that I will be getting Dec 1, 2017

except that you are not really getting them on that date - they have been there the whole time.

remember that "use year" is based on the dates of your stay - nothing to do with when you call to book.

so for example, your 2018 UY pts are already there in your account. they are valid for stays from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30, 2019. you can use banking and borrowing to move pts up or back one UY, so if you wanted, you could borrow your 2018 UY pts into 2017 and use them for a stay as early as Dec 1, 2017. And since booking date is based on your home resort, you could book your home resort at 11 months out (as early as Jan 2, 2017) for booking Dec 1, 2017 with those borrowed 2018 pts (plus current 2017 pts plus banked 2016 pts if you have any of those left).

I see, yes, it can be confusing . Thank you all for taking the time to help me understand.

Be sure not to cancel within 2 months so the points don't go into holding status.

Sorry but that is not entirely true. If you cancel 31 days or more in advance, then you are good and no penalty is put upon your points. If you cancel 30 days or less then your points go into a holding account.

Am I understanding this correctly? I have banked my 2016 points to 2017 with a use year of Feb 2017. Does that mean that today I could book a stay in May even though today there are no points in my account until Feb??

Am I understanding this correctly? I have banked my 2016 points to 2017 with a use year of Feb 2017. Does that mean that today I could book a stay in May even though today there are no points in my account until Feb??

use year is about dates of the stay. home resort tells you when you can book.

if you are booking a stay in may 2017, that would fall into your feb 2017 UY, so it can be booked with banked 2016 UY pts + current 2017 UY pts (again, "current" based on dates of the stay) + borrowed 2018 UY pts (if needed).

for a may 2017 stay, you could have called as early as June 2016 to book a stay at your home resort. (or October 2016 to book a non-home resort.)

use year is about dates of the stay. home resort tells you when you can book.

if you are booking a stay in may 2017, that would fall into your feb 2017 UY, so it can be booked with banked 2016 UY pts + current 2017 UY pts (again, "current" based on dates of the stay) + borrowed 2018 UY pts (if needed).

for a may 2017 stay, you could have called as early as June 2016 to book a stay at your home resort. (or October 2016 to book a non-home resort.)
Thank you! Last minute May visit for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter