Pregnant and at the parks

Atrain13

Mouseketeer
So my wife and I have been planing a trip to Disney on Jan 23rd for months now...........and now we find out she's pregnant! We're pretty excited about this, but it poses a little bit of an issue.

Even though she will just be 6-7 weeks during the trip, we still want to be pretty safe. I assume she can't ride all of the mountains, a few things at Epcot, all the fun things (minus Toy Story) at HS, and a few things at AK. What about 7DMR, is that pretty smooth or rough? I guess just in general what are some things we should avoid to be safe?

Also, there's 3 adults that have FP+, my mom is coming with us (also my daughter but she's just 2) and I"m not sure if she'll want to ride everything either. So w/o my wife and my mom, I"ll be going solo on most of the rides. Can I use their FP wristbands and just ride things over and over?

Have your wife talk with her OBGYN. I rode SDMT and I was about 8 weeks along. There are signs posting against it but my OB said it was fine. I asked her specifically and she told me what I could or couldn't ride.

The doctor is the only one you should be listening to for this one..

The thing that scares me about the rides is not when they are working perfectly. It's that rare moment when they go into an emergency stop and they stop really really really fast and you will be pushed against the restraint in a not gentle manor and many restraints are lap bars. Otherwise, whatever the doctor said was great from a ride perspective I'd be all over or I should say enjoying with my wife since I ahve the wrong parts for child birth.

We went with a friend who was seven months' pregnant in October. She didn't ride any of the mountains or Mine Train, but she was fine on Toy Story and Soarin. The park that was most difficult for her was Animal Kingdom -- there was actually very little for her to do there in terms of rides. She had a great time and rode Toy Story and Soarin multiple times, as well as the new Frozen ride. :-)

The wife and I went when she was around 20 weeks, but we definitely talked to our doctor before going on the trip. When at WDW, we avoided most of the more thrilling rides. There was plenty of other things to do. She was a trooper and refused to leave the park before the fireworks and castle show, so I rented her a wheel chair and pushed her around the park. I think you should talk to your doctor.

6 weeks was around the time in both of my pregnancies that I started with some morning sickness. Maybe plan on doing the rides your wife can't do first thing in the morning. That way if she needs some extra time to get out of bed in the morning, she'll have it and can meet up with you later.

They say morning sickness peaks between 8-10 weeks but it can start at 6. So just be prepared and pack lots of saltines and graham crackers

I went at 15 weeks, thinking I would be past the all-day nausea. I wasn't, but I still had a fun trip. DH and I split up quite a bit, especially at Magic Kingdom. I did things like...Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh, small world, and Pirates while he did the mountains and 7DMT. We did several rides together too (HM, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Peoplemover). At Epcot, I did Living with the Land and Finding Nemo while he did Test Track. We did Soarin' and I was fine. We enjoyed the walking trails and the Lion King show at AK. I didn't do any rides there...DH did Dinosaur and EE.

I tried to eat healthy while pregnant, but I definitely used the "eating for 2" excuse once in awhile. Consider booking a TS meal in the World Showcase to relax and get off your feet a little. We ate at Rose & Crown. We also did a BOG dinner to celebrate the baby.

There are a surprising amount to do, even while pregnant!

Definitely talk to your doctor about any concerns. She might want to have a bland snack (crackers, popcorn) or a sucker for the flight. That's when I had the most problems with nausea.

Best wishes to you!! I'm currently planning my son's first trip outside the womb for this May, when he will be 18 months.

Last edited:

Yes, definitely talk to your doctor but, the big thing - know where the bathrooms are. I toured Disney World at five months and my husband said we knew the inside of every single bathroom at Disney World and I agree.

Also, your daughter is two years old and I'm just assuming that she's not out of diapers. Realize that ALL bathrooms have changing stations. So you and your mother and wife can change her without problems. So switch off. It's not all about rides, it's about being with family and having a great time.

To answer your last question, yes you can use someone else's FP on their magic band. You should read about and use rider switch too so you get to maximize your fast passes! Congrats and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter