POTC Boats and getting wet

101Pongo

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

We haven't been on Pirates since the summer 2015 refurb. I remember hearing about how much water was getting in the new boats. Has this been corrected? We'll be going with a 6 month old baby so we definitely want to stay dry! Advice?

Warning sign outside.
Seems reports from folks are about 50/50 on wet factor.
Last few visits (end of 2016) we didn't get boats with standing water finally.
We did get splashed.

But much much safer than Splash Mountain.

Disney%20MK%20April%202016%20084.jpg

I suggest sitting towards the rear of the boat to avoid the splash at the bottom of the drop. Not sure if there is a better spot to avoid the cannon ball splashes. On our recent ride early one morning we were in the middle of a lightly loaded boat and only got a little splash from one of the cannon balls. However the seat was quite wet when we sat down.

I was on the ride last April and got the cannon ball splash. My whole side was soaked. However I was not sitting on wet seats and when we got into the boat there was no standing water where your feet are. I dried off quickly. It was mostly just my shirt/arm.

We went on it twice in December and didn't get wet. But one of the seats was really wet so when we sat down my son was upset because his pants got wet.

We're a family of 6, 5 adults + baby so we'll have baby in the middle of the last row and adults on either side to catch the splash if we get a cannonball.

Thanks for the advice!

I suggest sitting towards the rear of the boat to avoid the splash at the bottom of the drop. Not sure if there is a better spot to avoid the cannon ball splashes. On our recent ride early one morning we were in the middle of a lightly loaded boat and only got a little splash from one of the cannon balls. However the seat was quite wet when we sat down.

I've sat in water the next to last row of the new boats, too.

Rode it a good 5 times this past September and only got some sprinkles, thankfully.

It really depends on who is in the boat and how far forward they are. The heavier the boat or the front and the more it slips into the water at the bottom. You need to go on it protecting cameras and things when you reach the drop. I've never been really "wet" sitting middle or back. never sat in the front but I hear people get wet everytime we do ride it.

Also look on the floor before you put any bags down, it might have water on it.

We always request to sit in the front and at least one of us gets wet on the drop. We find it's usually the person on the right side. We rode it two weeks ago.

Last edited:
We've been on the ride dozen and dozens of times, it's a favorite for DS12. We've never gotten more than a few drops of water from the cannonball. Ever.

I rode POTC multiple times during my December 2015 and May 2016 trips and I don't recall getting wet at all, besides a few drops of water. I didn't even see boats filled with water or even the floor by the exit being wet.

On our last trip, I sat at the rear of the boat. As we were passing between the pirate ship and the fort, one of the "cannonballs" landed close by and I got wet by the splash. Not soaked, but definately not sprinkled either.

The next time I went on POTC, I didn't get a drop of water on me.

Last edited:
I ride it every trip at least once and up until this last December have never gotten wet (I go twice a year). In December I got in whatever the magic spot is and go pretty wet on my right side. The cannon balls got me and the drop got me. Since I had already been deposited on in multiple places on my shirt and hat by a bird at AK that day, it was no big deal.

Got my right side soaked by a cannonball a few weeks ago. Not pleased. I guess it just comes down to timing.

A tip for sitting in the front row: Pck up your feet at the drop. Nothing worse than soggy sneakers the rest of the day.

We were there a few weeks ago. I have been on this ride way too many times to count and have never gotten wet until now!! I was on the right and got soaked! Actually when I sat down the bench was wet do I knew what was coming. The lady in front of me turned around and asked me if I got wet cause she did too. We both laughed. My kids laughed when they saw me after the ride. Always love providing entertainment for my family! Thank goodness Christmas week had wonderful weather. One of the best years yet!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

Just rode it on Monday in the front row and I did get wet. Not a full soaking, but just a nice spray at the bottom of drop. I actually go more wet when a cannonball landed next to the boat and all the water fell on me. Totally not mad though, it's a water ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter