Post your best organizational, space saving and trip making secrets here!!

This is somewhat crazy (or maybe just OCD) but I start a "Disney Box" about 6 months before the trip. I just start tossing stuff in as I find it on sale or free samples (laundry detergent!). It helps with budging so I'm not dropping a ton of money right before the trip or if I'm looking for stuff that is more seasonal like glow sticks.

I have a Disney box too, but I'm even crazier. I add to mine year round. I also store our special stuff we only use at Disney: fanny packs, our mickey ear hats, etc.

We've been been back a week or so, and whoever posted the suggestion of using the hangers with the clippies on them to hang up bathing suits to dry; you are my hero!!!!!! What a great idea! Worked fantastically, no one decapitated themselves on the string in the shower this year, it was easy to move for showers and then put right back and no fighting for enough room. Everyone had their own hanger and it worked great!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

mom2taylorandemily said:
We've been been back a week or so, and whoever posted the suggestion of using the hangers with the clippies on them to hang up bathing suits to dry; you are my hero!!!!!! What a great idea! Worked fantastically, no one decapitated themselves on the string in the shower this year, it was easy to move for showers and then put right back and no fighting for enough room. Everyone had their own hanger and it worked great!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

This is brilliant!

Could you share the names of the apps? Do you have iphone or android?

I have been using the Touring Plans App. I cannot compare to the others bc I haven't used them but this App is awesome! It gives estimated line wait times (supposedly accurate but I haven't tested yet) and something I am looking forward to is that it has all menus on it. If you are at MK and someone wants a hot dog, you just type hot dog in and it will tell you which locations have them! This will be super helpful with kids!

FYI, the Touring Plans app comes free with a touringplans.com membership. The membership was $9.95 for a year. Usually I don't pay for things like this but I played around with my friends account & thought the website/app was worth it to buy my own. The site has a TON of great info for planning! I googled for a discount code!

SalandJeff said:
OOOOOhhhhhh - I have an iphone and would love to know about these apps also.

First try looking up Disney in the app store. But! There is a Beers & Ears app for tracking down all the different beers. Verizon has an app, etc.

wish we were there NOW

arielmomma said:
I have a Disney box too, but I'm even crazier. I add to mine year round. I also store our special stuff we only use at Disney: fanny packs, our mickey ear hats, etc.

I have a Disney bag, and I get my envelopes printed and filled with Mousekeepers tips ahead of time. Doesn't seem to cost much that way. And anything I have gotten for reservations, etc.

wish we were there NOW

This is somewhat crazy (or maybe just OCD) but I start a "Disney Box" about 6 months before the trip. I just start tossing stuff in as I find it on sale or free samples (laundry detergent!). It helps with budging so I'm not dropping a ton of money right before the trip or if I'm looking for stuff that is more seasonal like glow sticks.

I have a disney box, too and leave lots of stuff in it that we never use except at Disney! I love adding things to it during the year.

another thing i do, that someone may have already mentioned, is request samples of detergent. when they come in the mail, the get tossed in the disney box. we've always used liquid detergent until recently when we switched to the little prepacked plastic detergent thingy - you just toss it in. we're teaching my son how to help with the laundry and those are easy for him (no pouring detergent) so i can take those, too. but last trip we just took samples. took up little space in our laundry, didn't have to buy anything there from the laundry vending machines.

i do this with shampoo, too - request samples and toss them all in the box. the little bottles in the hotel rooms aren't usually enough - i have a lot of hair :D

My biggest tip, which is contrary to everything I read on here, is to pack more clothes!

We just came back from a week at WDW and it was sooooo hot! :sunny: We would wake up in the morning and put on an outfit, go to a theme park, then come back to the hotel, put on swimming suits and swim, then change into another outfit for the evening. So we used 2 outfits per day. We did not want to wear the same clothes again (from the morning) because we had totally sweated in them.

On our trip, we ended up having to rewear gross clothes a few times... I suppose we could have done laundry but we were soooo busy that we didn't have time!!

What did I pack that I didn't use? SWEATERS!!! (except on the plane). It was toooo darn hot!! Also, bring more than one pair of shoes. DH only brought one pair of shoes to wear with shorts and ended up with blisters. (He brought long pants and dress shoes but couldn't wear them as it was way too hot, even in the evening.)

HTH!
JULIE

Great idea I never thought about that.

Will I sound crazy? I hope not -- I am serious.

Well in advance of traveling, I spread single bawny papertowels all along my kitchen counter. Then I use dawn dish soap , pour a quarter size amount in one hand, rub my hands together and then blot my hands onto one side of the paper towel. I do this to all the towels. I hang them up by clothespins and let them dry. REALLY DRY -- that's important.

When dry, I fold them up and put them in a zip loc.

PRESTO! When it's time to "wash" a sippy cup or our refillable mugs, I have instant dishsoap and a dishrag that I can toss when done.

This is good for camping or anywhere. ;-) Just make sure you don't have a glob of soap in one spot on your brany or it will never dry. When it's blotted all over....it dries quickly.:)

The OP is several years old but still a great tip! I was so worried about the Palmolive wipes that were discontinued 6 years ago, now I can make my own.

I just came across this thread and even though we're still in the planning stages I have a tip. For those of you who might be doing laundry, I highly recommend Shout Color Catchers. They're sheets you throw in the wash and they capture any dyes that get in the water so colors don't run. They're perfect if you don't have enough laundry for multiple full loads.

Just finished reading all.68.pages over several months! LOL I wish I had more time to read these types of threads!!!!

Thanks, everyone, for contributing!!!! I plan on using many, many tips from here for our upcoming trip!!!! :)

And, after 68 pages, I don't think I have anything to add!!!!:thumbsup2

I just came across this thread and even though we're still in the planning stages I have a tip. For those of you who might be doing laundry, I highly recommend Shout Color Catchers. They're sheets you throw in the wash and they capture any dyes that get in the water so colors don't run. They're perfect if you don't have enough laundry for multiple full loads.
What a great idea! I've wondered if those sheets really keep the dye from running all over the clothes. We're going for 5 nights/ 6 days and with a messy 2 yr old I know we'll need to do at least one load of clothes.

So many great hints and ideas, thank everyone. Glad we have some time before the trip so that we can read all the pages and capture the best ones for our family.

What a great idea! I've wondered if those sheets really keep the dye from running all over the clothes. We're going for 5 nights/ 6 days and with a messy 2 yr old I know we'll need to do at least one load of clothes.
I wouldn't try putting a new red shirt in a load of whites, but they work really well, IME.

But you would know whose pink undies belong to your family. Tee hee

wish we were there NOW

I can't believe I started this thread SOOO many years ago and it is still helping everyone..LOVE IT!!

I came up with a new idea for our trip. The Tide "Pods" (that include detergent and fabric softener) are perfect and compact for packing and work GREAT!!! I also packed spices in ziploc snack containers for cooking, seasoning, and the like. Since my son puts Frank's Red Hot sauce on EVERYTHING..I got a mini bottle of that too.

Keep em comin!

Love the samples idea, but coming from the UK we don't tend to get many freebies, well where I live anyway :sad1:

Well, it took me about 4 days of reading on and off but read every post. I was able to get some fanstastic ideas & things to try! Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread over the last 6 years!! :flower3:

Also, not sure if this was already posted but I am going to buy the temporary tatto paper you can run through the printer and make tattoos for my kids to wear. I'll use Disney characters and then put my husband and my cell phone numbers on them in case they get separated from us.

What a great idea as my 3 and 5 year olds do not know my cell number.
does anyone know where to get this paper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter