PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

I think the info on CL food posted on previous page by beebeeryan is the latest offerings.

This is a sticky

You do not have to post the word "bump" for the thread to stay on the upper first page

Stickies always stay on the upper first page of the forum
It is set up that way so everyone can find info on the darkside hotels

I see you have a question about pbh club
Since there have been no replies, why don't you create a new question in the forum as not everyone reads the stickies

I'll bump your thread that question thread you make so it stays on the first page

I was bumping hoping maybe someone has recently stayed and would see it. Thanks I'll try that.

Last edited:
We loved our 5 night stay CL at PB! Would definently stay CL again. The breakfasts were wonderful and the staff top notch. The convenience was a huge comfort to us. Only complaint was crowdedness at evening service to find a table sometimes but we always ended up with a spot. Will try to post pics. Staff was friendly, remembered my sons bday (and allergies) and food was plentiful (not amazing) and satisfactory.

Just checked in today and have a great room looking at the villa pool! It was crazy at the parks around 3, but we did see the Grinch Christmas show with no problem, walked around at Islands but express just too long a wait...we are going back around 8 to see if it is better then. Munching on a Lard Lard Donut now in the room. We ate at Sal's for a late lunch after we checked in,yummy BB Q chicken pizza!

Had a wonderful stay at PBH, Club level, Dec 25-28! DS was sick when we arrived, running a fever and GI issues. Star Service (via text, set up by the staff at check in) was stupendous. Sent extra towels, the rollaway bed I had forgotten to request at check in, and were overall very helpful. I was very impressed with the service.

CL was also very nice. According to the staff, they were trialing the menus to be rolled out sometime this year. Some highlights:

Breakfast had at least three hot dishes every day - a meat, a potato, and another. The third was sometimes sweet (pancakes) and sometimes savory (e.g., mini-frittata). This was in addition to the regular rotations of cut fruit, hand fruit, hard boiled eggs, various pastries, bagels and bread for toast, yogurt and cereals. We ate here all three mornings, and left very satisfied each time.

Biggest change was at midday - there were three types of mini-sandwiches each day. It was very possible to make a modest lunch out of the offerings. One vegetarian option was included each day as well. Plus chips and cookies. We ate here two days. It was available from noon-3:30, so fit perfectly with our style of park touring (park morning, middle-of-day break at resort, dinner and evening in park). Some examples of the sammmies: ham and cheese on wheat roll, grilled vegetables on focaccia, chicken salad wrap; Italian on herb ciabatta, tuna salad on brioche, tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto on focaccia.

Evening service (5-7 pm), it was again possible to make into a meal. We only ate here once, but hadn't even planned on it. We dropped in at 5 to pick up waters on our way into the park, and the food looked good enough to tempt us to stay. Each night is themed; the night we stayed was Mediterranean. Tossed salad, two composed salads (sorry, forget what they were), cheese tray, meatballs in marinara, spaghetti pasta, ratatouille vegetables. No desserts - those were at "sweet finish" from 8-9:30. Other themes included Asian (sweet and sour chicken), Caribbean (jerk chicken), Tex-Mex (steak fajitas), and European (shepherd's pie). They were also very generous with the wine pours - hee hee.

Sweet finish was pretty standard - good selection of individual sweets. Again, we only made it one night for this.

DH and I will be returning for a long weekend in June; if AP rates are good, we will repeat CL. It really was lovely!

Sorry this is a little late but wanted to give a review since I know how much other people's reviews help me!

We just had our first stay at PB and stayed CL. First off, this hotel is just beautiful! You truly did feel like you were somewhere in Italy! They did a great job with the theming! The rooms are so spacious and the hotel itself was very clean! As far as CL goes, We have stayed CL in Disney and felt this blew Disney's CL away. We were easily able to make dinner out of the offerings each night!!! They said they were trying new offerings while we were there, so we asked each morning what they would be at night. Some of The hot evening offerings were Fetucinni Chicken, pasta, fajitas, Asian chicken, hot vegetables, rice, etc. with full salad bar, tons of cheese, cold veggies, breads, etc.... Alcohol (beer/wine)included during hot appetizers - mixed drinks available for a fee. Always had sodas, water, tea and coffee out during the day. The club level lounge itself is huge. Never had a day where we didn't have a table. Loved hanging out with the kids between park time on the couch with a snack and a drink watching tv. CL staff was SO friendly and helpful.
Every morning, on top of cereals, bagels, fruit, tons of pastries and bread, they also had scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs and tater tots.
Their lemonade during snack time was delicious. Mostly had out bagged chips such as Terra Chips, Doritos, Gold Fish, and Pretzels. Also had granola bars and Peppridge Farm Milano cookies and bread with peanut butter, butter and jelly if you wanted a sandwich.
Desserts changed every night- cookies, small cheesecakes, chocolate mousse, etc.
Worth every penny in our opinion. We already booked our stay there next November!!

Thank you to everyone who helped us with our first stay on Universal property. As a Disney fan who's been going pretty much every year since 2004, I can definitely say we are now 'Universal people' too! We really did love not only the hotel, but our time in the parks. We'll be adding Universal in each trip here on out. Never thought I'd say that! Thanks again!

Last edited:

Hi all, we are trying to decide between Royal Pacific and Portofino Bay. One of these things I can't seem to clarify is do the rooms have actual mini-fridges already in them, or just a mini-bar fridge and you have to rent a refrigerator for $15 a day? It appears Royal Pacific with the refurb does now have them in every room, but it looks like at Portofino it's the mini-bar fridge and you would have to rent. I've seen this asked somewhat recently, but not sure if Portofino has had any refurbishments so thought would check. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi all, we are trying to decide between Royal Pacific and Portofino Bay. One of these things I can't seem to clarify is do the rooms have actual mini-fridges already in them, or just a mini-bar fridge and you have to rent a refrigerator for $15 a day? It appears Royal Pacific with the refurb does now have them in every room, but it looks like at Portofino it's the mini-bar fridge and you would have to rent. I've seen this asked somewhat recently, but not sure if Portofino has had any refurbishments so thought would check. Thanks in advance for your help!

rpr has mini fridge
do a search and you will see the size of it.
a few homies have posted pics of it with the door open to show the shelf space

check the hotel stickies for pics of the mini fridges in the hotels.

Thanks macraven. So that does confirm RPR does have it and PBD does not. Appreciate it!

on the sticky site for pbh it lists:

Microwaves & Refrigerators

The fee for a Microwaves or fridge is $15 per day, plus 12.5% sales tax. Available on a first come, first served basis. Only one Microwave is allowed per room and are available through Star Service Hotline.

if you want a large fridge the alternative is to buy a styrofoam chest and fill it with ice
use the ice machine on your floor for it.

keep the ice chest in the tub so no leakage happens

there is a small shopping area near the pbh which would be a 5 minute walk.
you can buy the styrofoam chest from there.

some food items, beer, soda, water, etc in the other stores in that small shopping area

Hello, we are going to Universal for the first time in February and we are booked at the Portofino in a bay view room. I originally booked at RPR in a standard room but with the APH rate, the bay view queen room at Portofino was actually less expensive than the non-APH standard room rate at RPR so I am excited. I was wondering how responsive the hotel is to room requests? Like everyone else, I would love a balcony but most important to me is proximity to the water taxi area. What wing of the hotel should I request? How and when do I make this request? I made room requests at WDW about a week in advance and I am pretty sure I faxed them. What is the procedure here? Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello, we are going to Universal for the first time in February and we are booked at the Portofino in a bay view room. I originally booked at RPR in a standard room but with the APH rate, the bay view queen room at Portofino was actually less expensive than the non-APH standard room rate at RPR so I am excited. I was wondering how responsive the hotel is to room requests? Like everyone else, I would love a balcony but most important to me is proximity to the water taxi area. What wing of the hotel should I request? How and when do I make this request? I made room requests at WDW about a week in advance and I am pretty sure I faxed them. What is the procedure here? Thank you.

Great choice, Portofino is a great resort. My experience in requesting a room was very good. Once I booked online, I called in to the Loews booking line and requested a room near the main pool. As we were booked Garden View there was a chance to be in the East Wing which is much further, so I didn't want that. Also, I arrived fairly early (before 9 am) and upon arrival they confirmed my request. I said we were willing to wait for a room to be available near the pool as we were heading right to the park. She was very agreeable and said she would do her best. They did print out some keycards first but said I could not charge to the room as it was not yet assigned. No problem, we just wanted access to express pass which was easily printed right next to check in.

When we returned from the park around 4 or 5 pm, they were able to grant our request. We had a room very close to the pool and it was on the 2nd floor, I believe. That said, you could request near water taxi, which would be the West Wing. Although both sides are really not that far when you consider bay view. I have read various things in the comment section here in regards to the balcony. Mostly that it's a paid upgrade but no experience with that here. One thing I did notice is that they are scattered about so it could be a matter of luck, too. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with that.

We just booked PBH Club Level 2 nights the last week of June. We are so excited! Our first trip to UO. I don't know if I'm more excited about staying Club level or our express passes!!!

We just booked PBH Club Level 2 nights the last week of June. We are so excited! Our first trip to UO. I don't know if I'm more excited about staying Club level or our express passes!!!

You'll have a blast I'm sure.........yep, Club and EP are both wonderful!

We've booked our first Universal Trip after a week of Disney. Also staying at PBH Club level for three nights. Very excited!

We may see you there (24/6-28/6)! Having had the express passes and stayed Club Level we now couldn't do without either...

We stayed there last May, club level with a balcony overlooking the beach pool. The view was gorgeous! We are hoping to get as lucky when we return this year.
do you remember the room number.....and have pics of your view????? thanks

Part of our group is looking to stay at resort on check out day, while teens go to park. Dinner will be had at City Walk before we leave Universal. Is there a place at the pools to shower and store change of clothes in a locker? I know RPR has that facility. I assume the spa has facilities but didn't think everyone would be allowed to use.

Thanks!

I have now read that the Villa pool has showers. But does anyone know if the main pool does?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!