Podcast Cruise 5.0 - Official Thread

From what some people are posting, it sounds like we should stay on the ship during the port days. Is it not worth it to do any of the excursions, or not safe to walk around? For us who've never been on the Western Caribbean cruise before, or any cruise for that matter, I'm getting the feeling that no one is too excited to visit these ports. As first timers, we're pretty darn excited to be going! Has anyone done any excursions that they enjoyed, or can recommend? (Or definitely not do?!) There are just so many of them!

The only time I stayed on the ship rather than go into town was on my 4th visit to Nassau. I like visiting ports (even Mexico!), and have enjoyed Cozumel (ship tour to San Gervasio Mayan ruins - with plans to go to Tulum on the Magic) and Grand Cayman (Stingray and Island tour with Native Way Watersports: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/). I have read Jamaica has its safety issues, so I would tour there with a group (ship tour or private) and not wander on your own.

Check out the Caribbean Ports of Call forums on Cruise Critic for help with each port: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

We were on Podcast Cruise 4.0 which was also a Western Caribbean- and our first Western Caribbean as well.

Some people did stay on the ship- but I think most did get off- if even only to shop right in the port area. And many people who have cruised to these ports many times enjoy the ship better than the ports.

We got off at every stop. 2 of the locations ton PCC 5.0 will be the same- Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We did not want to spend an hour on a bus (each way) going to the ruins, but we did want to say we were in Mexico and have some sort of experience in each port. We did the DCL excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel because we had never been to these places before and felt safer being in Disney's hands than exploring on our own.

In Cozumel, we did a Disney Cruise Line excursion called "Tequila and Tacos" - it was not too expensive and included lunch. And it did not take all day. We still had time to enjoy the ship. We enjoyed it so much, we would consider repeating this (or something similar) if we can get a group together this time.

In Grand Cayman- we did another DCL excursion- the "Grand Cayman Island Tour". It took us to the Cayman Turtle Farm, the town of Hell, and a ride-through tour of Georgetown. It was fun, not too expensive and only about 3 hours long. So we were able to participate in a fun DIS activity (Bunco) in the morning before our excursion.

One of the things that makes it hard (for me) to plan excursions, is that John & I love to attend as many of the DIS events as we can. We enjoy the company of our fellow DISers and the activities are always lots of fun. Often we do not find out about these events until much closer to cruise time. So even though I can be an uber-planner, I have to give that up for a Podcast Cruise if I want more of the DIS experiences.

Another thing- is that more and more many of the DIS events are planned by our fellow cruisers and not the Team. We have had wine tastings, cocktail classes, Bunco, Bingo and more.TONS of fun, and we usually find a way to raise a little money for Give Kids the World while we are doing it. :goodvibes

So, read up of the available options in each port and pick a few you think you might like. Then wait and watch the boards here to see what else is being planned!

John & I do not want to cruise any other way than with hundreds of our closest friends! :cool1:

Today is the last day we will know what the pricing is for this cruise. The price freeze will expire at the end of today, after that we don't know what will happen with the pricing it is out of our hands. We don't know if it will increase right away or take a few days...we also don't know if only some categories will change or all of them will.

In order to get in on the pricing listed in the link, you will need to submit your quote request by 4pm EST today, Monday September 23rd!

One more addition to Deck 2, #2105
Malia78 (Karilynn) and as yet to be finalized traveling companion (though will likely be mom)

Long time DIS lingerer, but have not really posted much. :wave2:

This will be cruise #4 for me and looking forward to the reimagined Magic (2 Fantasy and 1 Wonder).

I got so excited that I finally booked, I forgot to add what stateroom I am in so I can be added to the list!! :rotfl2:

I (Linda) will be rocking stateroom 7130!! :cool1:

Now I just have to think of some really cool designs for my door! So excited! :woohoo:

Got a quote today for my wife and I after a couple of discussions about this cruise. Before I put the deposit down, I wondered if anyone could spell out the cancellation policy with this cruise in terms of refunds.

If we have to cancel before the total amount is due, is it a full refund?

I've googled and found some things but I want to be sure I understand. This might be our second cruise, our first is in Feb 2014. :)

Got a quote today for my wife and I after a couple of discussions about this cruise. Before I put the deposit down, I wondered if anyone could spell out the cancellation policy with this cruise in terms of refunds.

If we have to cancel before the total amount is due, is it a full refund?

I've googled and found some things but I want to be sure I understand. This might be our second cruise, our first is in Feb 2014. :)

Be sure to email Tracey (traceyh@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com) and she will answer. She is your (our) travel agent! :)

Please add us to the attendee / stateroom list

Tyler & wife Mallory room 6635

It looks like this will be our second Disney cruise, with the first being early next year.

Very excited and looking forward to the special events and plans. When the sign ups start rolling out, we absolutely want to do a taste testing or two!

Booking today ! Someone tell me all of the cool things i get to experience on a podcast cruise ? This will be my 7th dcl cruise :-) it will be me and my best friend and my guide dog dodger ( yes im blind ) i also would like to get in on the fe ! Is there a facebook page yet ? Or is that. A no no since its a podcast cruise ? Thanks all ! :cool1:

Welcome aboard Cari and Dodger! And Julie too!

So, since this is your 7th DCL cruise- you already know about what to expect on the ship.
So- what's different about a DIS Podcast Cruise? Sharing it with a few hundred of your new best friends!!

Each Podcast Cruise has been a little different than the one before it- but there are a few things that always seem to happen.
1) There will (almost certainly) be a live podcast recording at some point during the cruise.
2) There will likely be a "special guest" joining us on board. We have had Disney Legends, Imagineers and Artists: Jodi Benson, Marty Sklaar, Bob Gurr, Charlie Ridgway, Jody Daly & Kevin Kidney and more that I can't even remember right now.
3) Over the course of the past few podcast cruises- more and more DISers have planed events- such as Bingo, Bunco, wine and cocktail tastings, and more. It's all up to the imaginations of the DISers on each cruise. And in the process- we tend to find a way to make a little money for Give Kids the World!

You mention the Fish Extender- and I am certain that will be a part of this cruise as well. Plus, being in December- there's often some door decorating going on for the holiday season.

Most of these things will start to take shape close to the cruise date. Likely next late spring- early summer.
The official events might not be finalized until fall 2014- because DCL doesn't confirm which spaces our group can use until pretty close to the cruise date.

Also-- this cruise falls on Pete's 50th birthday!! And he promises a fun party where we can all celebrate with him!

Pretty much all the events will be planned here on the boards- within the Podcast Cruise Subheading. Sometimes there is a facebook group formed- but most of the action happens here.

I look forward to meeting you all! :woohoo:

Darrel (Dad), Jo (Mom), Brenda (Daughter), Anita (Daughter)....all adults
Stateroom 7566 PC1.0 veteran
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter