• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

planning for February..weather??

gillis95

Mouseketeer
MY husband and I are big WDW fans..I dragged him there on our honeymoon and turned him into a bigger fan than me!! Anyway..we have a now 1yr old and are deciding when to go to Dis?..take the baby? etc. We went with another adult couple when he was 5 months and left him home with the 2 sets of grandparents last time. It's so hard for me to imagine WDW with a baby. Part of me is selfish and wants to have fun "as a kid" myself and thinks "that baby will just slow me down" (--just kidding folks-don't yell at me). After reading all the posts about taking a little one - he'd be 18mo in Feb, I was so excited trying to go to bed last night!!

What is the weather like in Feb?

Is is too cold? I assume not in Florida.

What are some essentials that I need to pack for baby..things you wish you had brought..etc

Is there a good time of day to fly with a baby? We always take the 6:30 am flight out of Dallas that arrives in MCO at 10:00am. Someone wrote to fly at night when the baby will sleep but that wastes a day. Any input??

I know it will be different going with the baby. I'm just nervous to travel on the plane with a baby. I just fear him screaming and crying and not being able to do anything for 4 hrs. Which is totally irrational because he is the most calm natured easy going little boy.

I'm new to these boards and have really enjoyed reading them. Thanks for any comments.
Karen

Gillis95- I know exactly how you feel!!! My DH and I have been going to DW 2-3 times a year alone, and will in 6 weeks be taking our new additions to the family--a 2, 3, and 4 year old!! So, I'm interested in the advise you'll get back with this post. The only thing I can help with is the weather in February question. We've gone twice in late January into Feb. and can only tell you that from one year to the next were totally different experiences. One year the weather as wonderful (70's-80's for the week, no rain) and thought we had found the "perfect" time. The following year they had unseasonably cold weather and it got down to 40's with windy drizzle 2 of the days. All in all though, chances are that doesn't happen often, and the risk of a little bad weather is to us well worth no crowds!!!!

Hi Karen-
We've never gone in February, but did take DD when she was 16 months and had a great time. The people who said it was easier to travel at night when the baby is sleeping are right, but if that doesn't work best for you, anytime will work. I think your biggest problem with an early AM flight is keeping your little one asleep long enough. At 18 months, the move from the crib to the car at 4:30am would have caused trouble. Our DD never would have gone back to sleep and we would have had a pretty cranky baby on our hands. However, if you think yours will go back to sleep ok, its probably not a bad time. You can break up the time for him by eating both breakfast and lunch on the plane.

When we took DD at 16 months, she would still fall asleep in her stroller, so make sure to take one that reclines if you think you'll be in the same boat. Aside from diapers, sippy cups, etc., the only thing we took that was a real life-saver was a "toddler leash." A lot of people (mostly those without kids), don't like them, but we thought it was great. It allowed her some freedom to walk around a little without us constantly screaming "Hold Mommy's Hand!!" You can find them at lots of stores that carry baby supplies, but we bought ours online somewhere (maybe OneStepAhead.com???). We're going in October and she is 2 now, and I'm not sure if she is going to tolerate the leash like she did when she was younger.

Good Luck!

We were there Feb. 2002 & 2003. Weather got reallly cold in 2002 and 2003 it was a mixture. I would say to pack a little of both warm & cold weather clothes. We never bring big bulky jackets, we just layer our clothes and adjust accordingly as the weather changes throughout the day. Don't forget to bring gloves & warm socks, and long johns for your baby. I had forgot to bring gloves for my 19 month old so I put socks on his hands. It worked.
Have fun!

We were there in January and the temps varied from low 40's at night (we wore winter coats and gloves and were still quite cold) to 70 degrees (jeans and a jacket were fine). We packed a bit of everything from shorts (never wore them) to winter stuff. Take a winter coat just in case and some jeans - we saw people from at the Magic kingdom in shorts and sweatshirts they bought at the giftshops who were just freezing. FLA really isn't all that warm in the winter though there can be some warmer days.

We have been there in February (President's Week) some years ago. It was cool. We took both summer and fall clothes. Most nights we wore sweatshirts over short sleeve shirts. We had a few cloudy days and we did wear jeans and long sleeves (polo shirts). Our boys were 5 and 6 and they did fine. We also had a day where it rained quite a bit...sweatshirts and rain ponchos did the trick.

Sorry, but I don't recall the temperatures, but do remember how we dressed. Overall, the weather was very pleasant and of all our trips..it was the most comfortable as the heat was just not there.

Went once in mid-Jan when it was 80 every day, went once in Feb. when it never got above 70 all week! So in the winter, plan for everything!

I wish I had brought knit gloves and ear bands (we went to Fantasmic one night when temps dipped into the upper 40's :eek: ). I wished I'd had a fleece jacket too but somehow that just goes against my instincts to pack that for Florida!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter