• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pittsburgh Dis'ers - Is this area safe by Pittsburgh West

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Greentree Road at the Holiday Inn. Looking to maybe going this Summer.

Can we walk safely at night there? Is there anything to do near the hotel (Dining, shopping)

Thank you for any help.

I used to live around there. It's not too bad of an area, but like anywhere, just be smart. It's not in the city - it's more of a suburban area just outside the city. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there or feel unsafe. There are a few restaurants in the area within a mile or two, but I wouldn't really recommend walking. It's been a couple of years since I've been in that area, but from what I remember, there's not a ton within walking distance and what is there requires crossing a major roadway. It's possible it's been built up some since then, but I can't imagine much.

Where are you planning on visiting? That would help determine if Greentree is the most convenient.

If you're going to see Heinz Field there are several hotels right down in the area between PNC Park and Heinz Field, with restaurants and even downtown (over the Clemente Bridge) walkable from there.

Greentree is ok, but I wouldn't consider anything walkable.

Thank you. I kind of picked Greentree because of the price (under $120 for the night), free parking, breakfast and they have a shuttle which should take us to the field if I have my mileage correct. I think we are just going for one night.

In that case, I'd definitely do it. There's a ton of restaurants by Heinz Field, too, once you get down there.

Truthfully I wouldn't stay there. There is nothing near there that's convenient. It's close to the city but the traffic is a nightmare from that location to get into the city and not the easiest route if you're not familiar with the area
It might be a little pricier but there are other areas that are more convenient with more in the area to do

Truthfully I wouldn't stay there. There is nothing near there that's convenient. It's close to the city but the traffic is a nightmare from that location to get into the city and not the easiest route if you're not familiar with the area
It might be a little pricier but there are other areas that are more convenient with more in the area to do
This is true - traffic isn't the greatest from Greentree into the city, especially on game days. If it was a longer trip, I would definitely agree with this. However, if you're only staying one night and the hotel has a shuttle to take you to the stadium so you don't have to drive yourself (there's always Uber/Lyft, too), I personally think you'd be fine. It depends on what your expectations are. There are certainly more convenient options and more to do downtown, but you'll pay for them.

Technically you are only about 15 mins from Greentree to downtown, but you do have to go through the tunnel- which can get backed up. Also, add on another 10-15 mins to get over to Heinz Field from there due to traffic and because Heinz field is on the northside. Have you looked at hotels on the northside? There isn't really much within walking distance of that hotel- it's in a business park. You got a Giant Eagle down the road (mall Dr), but everything else you would need to drive to- Olive Garden, Starbucks, etc are about a 5-6 min drive away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter