Pin Trading

helenm29

FIGMENTED
Hi out there! my 10 year old son is starting to collect Disney pins and has a few questions...I hope I am in the right forum!

Can you trade ANY kind of pins while you are in the park?

Is there a limit to how many pins you can trade?

Do you just put your pins on a Lanyard?

Any info for a starter would be appreciated! Helen

Hi Helen!
I am not a pin trader but the rest of my family loves it!

You can trade any DISNEY pin. It must be a Disney pin, but it isn't limited to WDW pins.

No limit on the number of pins you can trade or how often you can trade. However, you can't trade a pin that the CM already has on their lanyard. Something new to us this past trip (in July)... some of the CMs will have green lanyards vs black ones. The green ones are for children trading only. At least that's what they told us. :)

My dh, ds and dd wear their pins on a lanyard. My sister wore hers on her bottle strap. My other sister kept hers in her fanny pack.

Best tip? Ask if you can keep your rubber back - they stay on better. Trade for what you LIKE, not what you think will be valuable. Memories are valuable. :) :)

Trading in a 'theme' is fun too. One sister went for Beauty and Beast pins. She had five she was trading and ended up with 4 B&B pins and one cool Dopey one. Other sister went for the 4 parks and Monsters Inc pins. She found the 4 parks, Boo, Sully, Mike (I am still amazed!), as well as ToT, her favorite ride.

Have fun! Pin trading adds a lot to the fun we have at WDW.

You may also want to check out the collectors board on dis:) There is a lot of info there, and some great tips.

Aimee

Why have they designated a certain color for children trading? My daughter is 13 and loves to trade pins when we go, now she will have to trade with adults, right? Is there a benefit either way? Just curious as to why they would make a difference.:confused:

Mom,
I am not sure what you mean by a color, and your 13 yr old having to trade with adults. Could you explain?
Aimee

Aimee,

I read several times that CM's now have two different color lanyards that they wear to hold their pins. I certain color (of course, I forgot which color), is only for children up to a certain age to be allowed to trade with the CM wearing that color lanyard. Another color - is for the cut-off age up to adult. I sure hope this makes more sense this time.:confused: :smooth:

Originally posted by momto2
Why have they designated a certain color for children trading? My daughter is 13 and loves to trade pins when we go, now she will have to trade with adults, right? Is there a benefit either way? Just curious as to why they would make a difference.:confused:

I spoke to several CM's about this (as well as my cousin who is a CM). This was done because of what they are calling "Pin Sharks" They are trading strictly for value and to trade up. They have been know to be rude to CM's and push children out of the way. CM's that don't want to be bothered can do children only. I am sure they won't have a problem with your 13 yo.

Good luck
Sandy

An example of the pin shark thing - When my 7 yr old DS traded with a CM she told him and me to NEVER let him trade that pin. It was the football Mickey that only comes in the box set. A lady nearby overheard and instantly ran over and demanded to see all his and the CM's pins. We were kind of astounded. That foothball pin is his only "valuable" pin but he loves them all the same. He only picked it because it was football and I had actually thought of getting him the set as a gift sometime.

Sandy and Perpetual,

Thanks for the explanation. Makes all the sense in the world now. My daughter, of course, just collects and has traded ones that she likes. I think the fun is in trading and making contact with the CM's. She is a very meek and shy girl so I think that it shouldn't be a problem either - I guess we will just wait and see.

Hard to believe that people can't get so nutty with some things that they push children out of the way or hound them later. Oh well, it takes all kinds doesn't it.:confused: :Pinkbounc :smooth: :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter