• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"people hate the things they cannot understand"

AmandaSparks730

<marquee><font color=purple> All shall know the wo
Agree? Disagree?

I agree. People do tend to hate the things they cannot understand. People say "I hate gays". Sometimes it's because they just don't understand gay people and what they go through. The same thing can apply to other ethnic/racial/religious groups.

Thoughts?

i disagree.

often times i don't have an opinion until i understand something, but if i dislike something, the more i know about it, the more i dislike it.

I disagree.

People FEAR things they do not understand.

When people are afraid, it can cause them to claim authority or make assumptions, which may be why they eventually "hate."

I believe it's fear of the unknown.

I'm not sure. I definitely don't think people 'hate' things they don't understand, but rather, just don't agree with them.

A person who disagrees with gay marriage may just not understand how a man could love another man. Or a person that doesn't believe in God may just not understand how something like that could exist, or how other people can believe in it.

It's not really ignorance, it's just a matter of not having the same thought processes as people who agree with gay marriage, for example.

It's something to think about though. :)

nah. I see where your coming from. I understand things and still don't like them

I disagree. For example, I don't understand homosexuals, but it doesn't mean I hate them. Yes, I hate homosexuality, but I don't hate homosexuals. It seems like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm not. I hate it not because I don't understand it, but just because it's against my beliefs.

naaaaah....i understand lady gaga just fine and i still hate her :laughing:
but i agree with what some PPs are saying, sometimes people definitely fear what they don't understand, and sure some people hate things because they don't understand them (i hate science because i don't understand it! lol but that's in a more literal sense than you mean)
but sometimes people do understand things enough to form and opinion about it.

I agree, for the most part.

and just to quote the show I'm in right now (Beauty and the Beast)

"We don't like what we don't understand, in fact it scares us."

One of my favorite lines in the show, and I thought it was fitting.

I'm not sure. I definitely don't think people 'hate' things they don't understand, but rather, just don't agree with them.

A person who disagrees with gay marriage may just not understand how a man could love another man. Or a person that doesn't believe in God may just not understand how something like that could exist, or how other people can believe in it.

It's not really ignorance, it's just a matter of not having the same thought processes as people who agree with gay marriage, for example.

It's something to think about though. :)

I agree.

There are some people who are ignorant and hate because they don't understand but I think most people just don't agree.

I disagree. For example, I don't understand homosexuals, but it doesn't mean I hate them. Yes, I hate homosexuality, but I don't hate homosexuals. It seems like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm not. I hate it not because I don't understand it, but just because it's against my beliefs.

You hate the act. That is what is forbidden. You can be homosexual but if you ACT on it is when you sin. Makes sense. :)

i think its true for some people.
however, a lot of people dont hate for no reason.
for example, i hate sport because it bores me. i dont understand tap dancing, but i like watching it. (terrible examples, i know)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter