Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

We sent DS to Boston on a plane on his own last summer. He loved it. Got around by shuttle, bus and Uber. He couldn't believe we let him go alone.
I'm buying the Boston ticket next... I couldn't bring myself to buy both in the same night. He may end up staying with a friend (sleeping on the dorm floor...) for four days so he can audition at both New England Conservatory and Berklee...
This is so NOT fun!!!
You've made me feel a little better about it. :hug:

I'm buying the Boston ticket next... I couldn't bring myself to buy both in the same night. He may end up staying with a friend (sleeping on the dorm floor...) for four days so he can audition at both New England Conservatory and Berklee...
This is so NOT fun!!!

If you're also sending him to Boston solo, there are multiple options for him to get from the airport to Boston proper, but the easiest and most direct might be for him to take the Back Bay Logan Express to the Hynes Convention Center stop. It will let him off very close to Berklee, and might be easier than dragging his stuff on the T.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/to-and-from-logan/logan-express/back-bay/

This is so NOT fun!!!

:grouphug: I would have a hard time too! My DD will be only an hour away- it would be hard sending her out on a plane on her own. But he will do fine!

I just bought plane tickets for DS to fly to Miami alone for his jazz audition... I feel like I'm going to be sick.
This will be his first solo flight, solo uber, and first 2nd round scholarship audition. Ugh... I'm way more nervous than him!!! :sad:
Best of luck to him!

This is so NOT fun!!!
Exciting! It would make me a wreck as well. Good luck!

My DD is doing two applications tonight! She finished University of Iowa one (said it was super easy) and she's working on IUPUI. The IUPUI app is free through tonight :).

We are still waiting to hear from University of Wisconsin and Minnesota. We'll hear from both within 2 weeks.

Last edited:

My DD is doing two applications tonight! She finished University of Iowa one (said it was super easy) and she's working on IUPUI. The IUPUI app is free through tonight :).

We are still waiting to hear from University of Wisconsin and Minnesota. We'll hear from both within 2 weeks.
We too are still waiting on Minnesota - so much for "rolling" admission, I think it would be better to just give a date and be done - this daily waiting is making me a bit nuts

DD woke me at midnight last night waving a letter under my nose to read. Once I got the blurr of my eyes sorted out the result was a letter from Hofstra - They awarded her a Presidential (merit) Scholarship to the tune of $26K per year for the 4 years. She was blubbering, said "this makes it doable" now, I was asleep but my brain can still calculate, $60K less $26K is still a large chuck of money left to come up with. Also she was accepted into their Honors college.
The letter stated this was just the "first" of the offerings and there would be more to come in financial aide once her FAFSA was reviewed etc.
So, my question is, do you all know if there is a way to predict what they will come back with regarding the other aspects of the finances?

DD woke me at midnight last night waving a letter under my nose to read. Once I got the blurr of my eyes sorted out the result was a letter from Hofstra - They awarded her a Presidential (merit) Scholarship to the tune of $26K per year for the 4 years. She was blubbering, said "this makes it doable" now, I was asleep but my brain can still calculate, $60K less $26K is still a large chuck of money left to come up with. Also she was accepted into their Honors college.
The letter stated this was just the "first" of the offerings and there would be more to come in financial aide once her FAFSA was reviewed etc.
So, my question is, do you all know if there is a way to predict what they will come back with regarding the other aspects of the finances?

Have you tried running their NPC calculator? That should give you a rough estimate. We got some financial aid at some schools, but are really still waiting for most of them. So far, the numbers we got were pretty much what the NPCs projected. http://www.hofstra.edu/admission/adm_netprice.html

Have you tried running their NPC calculator? That should give you a rough estimate. We got some financial aid at some schools, but are really still waiting for most of them. So far, the numbers we got were pretty much what the NPCs projected. http://www.hofstra.edu/admission/adm_netprice.html
Thank you - yes I ran it - Okay, I get it.

What I am seeing is a very large Parent Plus Loan - Nope, not going to happen - I took out a small parent loan with DS and due to all the economic changes over the past 5 years I am not willing to do that again plus this one would be SIGNIFICANTLY higher.
Do any of you know what happens if a parent refuses to take out a Parent loan or if they can't qualify?
Frankly, I don't care if we qualify or not, its not something I am willing to do at this point in my life.

Do any of you know what happens if a parent refuses to take out a Parent loan or if they can't qualify?

Then you deem the school unaffordable and take it off the list of schools she considers.
IF it's an ED situation, not being able to afford the school typically is a legit reason for declining admission without causing admission consideration problems at other schools.

Don't blame you at all for being unwilling to sign up for big PP+ loans, personally I think you're smart. There are other less costly options for a good education, your daughter has to shift her focus to those. She will be fine in the end.

Then you deem the school unaffordable and take it off the list of schools she considers.
IF it's an ED situation, not being able to afford the school typically is a legit reason for declining admission without causing admission consideration problems at other schools.

Don't blame you at all for being unwilling to sign up for big PP+ loans, personally I think you're smart. There are other less costly options for a good education, your daughter has to shift her focus to those. She will be fine in the end.
Thank you - I think its a real shame that the parents are "forced" into this process. If my kid wants to take on astronomical debt against my best advice that is her issue but to basically force a parent into a loan or becoming the bad guy in the financial scenario just seems so wrong and lopsided.

I think the PLUS loans are horrible and the fact that schools calculate your child's financial need based on them is a crock of crap. I don't mind them determining need based on your income and savings, but I do mind them also figuring out home much you (as the parent) can borrow to send your child to school. The PLUS loans put both students and parents into indentured servitude to financial industry.

Thank you - I think its a real shame that the parents are "forced" into this process. If my kid wants to take on astronomical debt against my best advice that is her issue but to basically force a parent into a loan or becoming the bad guy in the financial scenario just seems so wrong and lopsided.

Does your daughter know what your bottom line is?

My daughter's top choice is about $67k. She knows what she has to get in merit scholarships to make that happen and it's within the realm of possibility.

We don't qualify for need based aid aside from loans. We aren't taking any loans out for her. She'll likely need to take a loan to cover a portion.

Dd knows that she won't go otherwise. It's a conversation we've been having for quite a while. Fortunately she has 2 acceptances that she's happy with and we can do if necessary. I plan to go back and ask for more once we know about all schools.

Yes, it stinks that college is so expensive and that many kids can't go wherever they get in.

I am willing to borrow for an education. However, there are limits. I simply cannot pay $65k for 4 years. There are other options.

I think the PLUS loans are horrible and the fact that schools calculate your child's financial need based on them is a crock of crap. I don't mind them determining need based on your income and savings, but I do mind them also figuring out home much you (as the parent) can borrow to send your child to school. The PLUS loans put both students and parents into indentured servitude to financial industry.
Exactly - We took a very small amount each year that DS was in school - he is now making that payment as agreed however, he knew he wanted to be a Physical Therapist and has the income to do so. DD is clueless and seems unconcerned about the bottom line.

Does your daughter know what your bottom line is?

My daughter's top choice is about $67k. She knows what she has to get in merit scholarships to make that happen and it's within the realm of possibility.

We don't qualify for need based aid aside from loans. We aren't taking any loans out for her. She'll likely need to take a loan to cover a portion.

Dd knows that she won't go otherwise. It's a conversation we've been having for quite a while. Fortunately she has 2 acceptances that she's happy with and we can do if necessary. I plan to go back and ask for more once we know about all schools.

Yes, it stinks that college is so expensive and that many kids can't go wherever they get in.
I have told her repeatedly I will not/cannot take out a Plus loan - she seems to think the funds are out there to just gobble up and borrow and despite what I say I get that dubious look of "I'll figure it out" reality is getting closer. She has only applied to one in-state school as she is determined to leave the state and the one she did apply to she did so late that she missed out on the Dec 1 deadline for scholarships and merit $$.

I am willing to borrow for an education. However, there are limits. I simply cannot pay $65k for 4 years. There are other options.
The question is, what are the options? If you mean less expensive schools, I agree if you mean other funding options, I am curious what those might be (that are bankable, not a shot in the dark obscure scholarship somewhere)

I'm to the point that as much as I want her to get an education, her unwillingness to see the logic of the big picture is putting me into a place where I will throw my hands up and say - you're on your own, you figure it out, you pay for it and I'm done. That sounds really harsh and I don't mean I'm "done" but I am done with the constant discussions and her silver lined cloud thinking along with her unwillingness to think about the financial ramifications.
I flat out told her that just because she gets in doesn't mean she can secure the funding, she says "I know" but I really do not believe she does, she seems to think it will just happen.

Mind you, this all stems from acceptance at only one school and it happens to be the most expensive. It is kind of ironic that she has stated that even if she actually got into Berkeley, she knows she can't afford it. I don't understand why she doesn't have this same attitude towards these other schools she has applied too.

My vent over the loans - it is my understanding that if a parent is turned down for a plus loan, then the student can get more stafford loan funding - however, this puts the parent into the "must" apply for the loan scenario and pray they don't get approved. That is just so wrong.

I have a heloc that I can use. My girls will max out their loan eligibility. I can borrow money against retirement. My niece refused her very affordable in-state option. She knows that means she needs to take out more loans to make that happen. I can only pay so much with two in college at the same time. My niece (based on very unique circumstances) has a higher loan eligibility than most incoming freshmen.

We told dd early on we weren't taking out a home equity or borrowing against our retirement. She's an only child which makes things much easier but I'm not putting us in a financial binds overy college. She also applied to schools where she is above the average student and I hope that helps with the merit $.

Right now she's sitting on 2 offers, one of which I could write a check now for what we'd have to pay for 4 years. Unfortunately it isn't #1 or 2 on her list.

We'll see how things work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter