Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Prom dress acquired princess: Sunday we stopped at Dillard's (not much in stock yet), and Glam and my girls tried on a few. Then we met the girl from the Facebook swap at the mall and she tried on her dress. DD had really liked the looks of it but we were concerned about it being strapless. Lo and behold it has removable straps so problem solved! She tried it on and it needs no alterations. She liked it so we got it! We might have stronger snaps put on the straps as one did come undone as she was putting it on but we'll do some testing. Will be no problem for my mom to fix that if needed.

We then stopped at two more prom stores, mainly for DD15, but DD18 tried some on and (luckily) did not find anything she liked better. It's nice to know she did get to do some shopping around and doesn't feel "stuck" with the used dress. It was definitely her favorite of what we saw and a great price. (Unfortunately DD15 fell in love with a $629 dress that she is NOT getting.)

This is DD18's dress:
http://www.newyorkdress.com/Tony_Bowls/113524.html

She wondered if she should go full-on Elsa and do her hair in a side braid to go with it :p

On the college front, she got her acceptance letter from her community college but that was a given, not too exciting... The big thing will be whether she gets into the Honors program. She can probably apply for that pretty soon. And also seeing if she gets some other scholarships.

BEAUTIFUL dress!

On the college front, she got her acceptance letter from her community college but that was a given, not too exciting... The big thing will be whether she gets into the Honors program. She can probably apply for that pretty soon. And also seeing if she gets some other scholarships.
Good luck on getting into the honors program! What does that give her over the regular college program?

BEAUTIFUL dress!

Good luck on getting into the honors program! What does that give her over the regular college program?

Up to 20 credit hours of honors versions of her classes at no cost, so up to $3000 free tuition. Also early class registration, so she can get the best class times for her schedule, Honors events, and an Honors designation on her degree. The Honors tuition grant plus education credits on our tax return could make it basically tuition free overall so that is the hope and plan :).

Prom dress acquired princess: Sunday we stopped at Dillard's (not much in stock yet), and Glam and my girls tried on a few. Then we met the girl from the Facebook swap at the mall and she tried on her dress. DD had really liked the looks of it but we were concerned about it being strapless. Lo and behold it has removable straps so problem solved! She tried it on and it needs no alterations. She liked it so we got it! We might have stronger snaps put on the straps as one did come undone as she was putting it on but we'll do some testing. Will be no problem for my mom to fix that if needed.

We then stopped at two more prom stores, mainly for DD15, but DD18 tried some on and (luckily) did not find anything she liked better. It's nice to know she did get to do some shopping around and doesn't feel "stuck" with the used dress. It was definitely her favorite of what we saw and a great price. (Unfortunately DD15 fell in love with a $629 dress that she is NOT getting.)

This is DD18's dress:

She wondered if she should go full-on Elsa and do her hair in a side braid to go with it :p

What a beautiful dress. Good luck on honors college.

My daughter ordered her prom dress as well. It's so her. She decided she wanted a high low dress and found one on etsy that she can customize a bit.

She'll go with a date if someone asks her but honestly doesn't care if no one does. There isn't anyone she's interested in dating so she'd just as soon go with a group of friends.

We also booked a trip to London after graduation. The airfare was cheaper there than the west coast, which was our initial choice. We've never been there so are super excited.

Up to 20 credit hours of honors versions of her classes at no cost, so up to $3000 free tuition. Also early class registration, so she can get the best class times for her schedule, Honors events, and an Honors designation on her degree. The Honors tuition grant plus education credits on our tax return could make it basically tuition free overall so that is the hope and plan :).

Two of the places my daughter has applied to the honors program kids also get different/better dorms along with early registration and honor on the degree.

This is DD18's dress:

Love the dress! Steal of a deal I'd say and perfect fit, meant to be!
No prom shopping here, DD not the least bit interested.

Apps: Still in a holding pattern and its giving me grayer hair!

DD asked her athletic training coach for a break for a few weeks, we were all at our breaking point with her schedule. AT's follow the teams, so she is at practices, games etc of multiple sports and this goes on all year. Her coaches don't care about part time jobs etc and it all came to a head last week when her coach refused to take her off a tournament that is scheduled in February, more than a month away and it conflicted with other plans. Sometimes they can be so inflexible but what is really going on is DD as a Sr has been in the program 4 years, lots of experience and good grades. Many of the underclassmen become academically ineligible and the kids like DD get to step up.

DD just got accepted to Hofstra - her words "I'm going to college"
Ummmmmm ya, about that........ $62K a year! A YEAR......
Anyway, it lightened her mood and the only reason she applied was they sent her an application fee waiver.
I guess now we wait for the mail to see what they have to offer

Anyway, it lightened her mood and the only reason she applied was they sent her an application fee waiver.
Congratulations! Is that her first acceptance?

Congratulations!

Congrats! and $62 K isn't bad. LOL!!!!

bjscheel - I would love to see the dress but the link sends me to the opening page. What is the name of the dress?

And for those who are lucky enough to have girls and get to shop for dresses (stupid boy boring tuxes). If you have Dillard's near you, check for their outlets. You never know what you will find. DS's girlfriend got her full length tulle (with some beading) for $30. It is a great place for graduation dress clothes too.

Hi everyone!!!
I'm super late to this party! I think I posted here once... a long time ago... then I had surgery after surgery and stopped DISing for a few years.
Well, my kid made the Grammy Jazz Band & gets 10 days FREE in LA. Since we are going to be that close, I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND! So, I'm back to plan a day (or two) in the park(s).
Anyway... I found this thread again!!!

Does anyone have a kid hoping to attend a Music Conservatory?

His list of applications was pretty long:
Juilliard
The New School
Manhattan School of Music
William Patterson
New England Conservatory
Berklee
Miami
UNC Greensboro

He's made it past a few pre-screenings & I'm booking flights as fast as I can for live auditions. So far he's only been accepted at UNCG. The rest are audition based.

This has been pretty crazy! It would be really nice to have some friends in the same boat. He's potentially moving pretty far from home... We're in NC.

Just booked our flight to Boston for Feb 19-22- visiting 5 schools, have interview appts and appts to talk to financial aid people at the schools. I hate Boston LOL- why couldn't it be visiting 5 schools in Florida!!!!

Hi everyone!!!
I'm super late to this party! I think I posted here once... a long time ago... then I had surgery after surgery and stopped DISing for a few years.
Well, my kid made the Grammy Jazz Band & gets 10 days FREE in LA. Since we are going to be that close, I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND! So, I'm back to plan a day (or two) in the park(s).
Anyway... I found this thread again!!!

Does anyone have a kid hoping to attend a Music Conservatory?

His list of applications was pretty long:
Juilliard
The New School
Manhattan School of Music
William Patterson
New England Conservatory
Berklee
Miami
UNC Greensboro

He's made it past a few pre-screenings & I'm booking flights as fast as I can for live auditions. So far he's only been accepted at UNCG. The rest are audition based.

This has been pretty crazy! It would be really nice to have some friends in the same boat. He's potentially moving pretty far from home... We're in NC.
Welcome back! Congratulations on your DS's progress. That is one impressive list of schools. Good luck with the auditions! What is his specialty?

bjscheel - I would love to see the dress but the link sends me to the opening page. What is the name of the dress?

And for those who are lucky enough to have girls and get to shop for dresses (stupid boy boring tuxes). If you have Dillard's near you, check for their outlets. You never know what you will find. DS's girlfriend got her full length tulle (with some beading) for $30. It is a great place for graduation dress clothes too.

That's weird- it is out of stock but funny the link worked for a while. Here is her dress:
prom2017.jpg

But last night she was having a touch of buyer's remorse. She's on a couple prom swap groups on FB and there was another catching her eye- a long sleeve two piece with a slim skirt. It's more expensive and kind of far away...She said the one we got was poufier than she wanted. I told her we can take out a section of netting underneath. (And she did say she wanted to be more princess this year!) She did end the conversation saying that the other one she liked would probably be tight in the shoulders and too big in the chest so hopefully she lets that go. Kind of wish she wasn't on the swap groups now seeing what fabulousness is out there. She has to remember how much she gets tired of the shopping and be happy she's done :)

Just booked our flight to Boston for Feb 19-22- visiting 5 schools, have interview appts and appts to talk to financial aid people at the schools. I hate Boston LOL- why couldn't it be visiting 5 schools in Florida!!!!

LOL I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:magnify: I live in the greater Boston area and am disappointed that DS only applied to 1 area school. I went to college in Boston and it is such a great city and college town! I absolutely loved living there.

DD toured Boston/Amherst last February. She came home "convinced" she was applying to Hampshire and Amherst but in the end she applied to neither. She did also tour BC, MIT and Harvard just to look, she had a great time and loved the touring trip. Hope y'all have a great time and decent weather for your visit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter