Parent swap for the single mom

There is a chicken door at ToT at DL as we used it. I also waited in line with my boys on rides I didn't want to go on and just exited before the ride.

I have not heard anything back. My recommendation is we all should ask this question and get it on their radar.

This has been asked before. Disney will not watch your kids for liability reasons. You will either have to trust your older child to be alone for a period of time u too you can get to them, or forgo some rides.

In Disneyland on the Indiana Jones ride, my son chickened out and didn't want to go, but I really wanted to. The cast member told me my son could stay at the exit with him while I rode. My son was 10 at the time. Not sure if this was part of parent swap or if he was just being helpful. We will find out if this holds true in WDW on Tower of Terror, because my son refuses to even think about riding that one and I really want to.

I took my 3 kids to DL last year. We had this dilemma when my DD10 didn't want to do some of the rides the rest of us did. She stepped through and waited for us on Indy and Radiator Springs Racers - the CM had no problem with this. On Indy she was sitting on a seat just near the exit and with RSR they had actually given her a little Cars activity book to do while she waited and was sitting to the rear of the platform where we got off. Another time I nervously gave her a spot to wait and watch (with the strictest instructions not to go anywhere!) while the boys and I hit Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road for their first time (it was timed well with no wait to ride) - when we got back she said a lady CM from BTMRR checked on her and asked if she was waiting for someone on the ride, she had a bit of a chat with her for a while and we got back really soon. I would think the child's age has a lot to do with these short periods of non-parent supervision for both the CM and the child.

I am having a same issue. Mine are twins so age is not in my favor either. While I trust my daughter and son to stay put I just don't feel right about leaving them. I know it is only a few mins but..
Maybe you could find another single parent on these bopards going the same time? It would be a long shot but hey...never say never:flower:

I'm in the same dilemma. My younger daughter isn't much for thrill rides but older daughter and I love them. I guess we will just work things out when we get there.

I will have the same issue too. Me and my two daughters (4yrs, and 11yrs) will be going Nov 2016. My concern is my 4 year old won't be tell enough for the thrill rides my 11 year old wants to go on. I'll be watching this thread.

I have gone with my broad range of 5 kids (5y-18y last trip) as a single parent several times, and last trip my DS 15yo acted as the other parent for a parent swap. He would go through the ride (either alone or with "extra kid" (9yo DS) that wants to ride) while I waited with the non-rider (5yo DS). When he finished he would wait with the non-riding child (5yo DS) that did not go while I got a chance to ride.

The first person riding has to wait in the line unless you have fast passes, but usually they allow the waiting "parent" to go through the single rider or fast pass line. Also at several of the rides they allow you to take the "extra" kid (9yo DS) back through the line again.

We found that on rides the two younger boys did not want to ride we would use the single rider line if it was available. We would just have to go separately, but it worked out.

I do not know if you are comfortable having your 12yo wait with your 8yo, but they can usually stand near the attendant while you ride. It used to be that the child swap happened when you got on the ride, but now it happens at the entrance to the line.

I am now going with a 2yo DS, so we will be parent swapping a lot or I will just not ride.

I think EE would be a good beginning thrill ride for her, but I would definitely do it during the day. Also, ToT in the day as it freaks me out a little a night still. On SM, I sat behind my 5yo and kept my hands on his shoulders the whole time and he did great and was eager to do it again. I had to stretch to reach him, but I did.
This is what I was going to suggest.

Also, I heard various things about using rider swap if the child just doesn't want to ride. At 8, your daughter would be tall enough for most rides, so you could encounter resistance with that anyhow.

My issue was (and will be again since I have an 8 month old) is my daughter Loves crazy rides and roller coasters. Where as I am so scared of heights and drops I break out in hives waiting in line for splash mountain! Before my daughter was 7 she was a saint and would pat my had and say it's ok but I felt bad. Now she is technically old enough to ride alone:0 but I worry about her a little (ok 4'3" is still tiny to me :) ) girl all alone. But now my issue is will they let me take the baby into the line when he OBVIOUSLY can't ride but only so I can wait with my daughter and then take the chicken exit and wait for her?

My issue was (and will be again since I have an 8 month old) is my daughter Loves crazy rides and roller coasters. Where as I am so scared of heights and drops I break out in hives waiting in line for splash mountain! Before my daughter was 7 she was a saint and would pat my had and say it's ok but I felt bad. Now she is technically old enough to ride alone:0 but I worry about her a little (ok 4'3" is still tiny to me :) ) girl all alone. But now my issue is will they let me take the baby into the line when he OBVIOUSLY can't ride but only so I can wait with my daughter and then take the chicken exit and wait for her?
My understanding is that they will usually not let anyone wait in line who is not tall enough per policy. I don't know if they'll deviate for an 8 month old, but I wouldn't count on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter