This is what my daughter's (in 5th grade) school schedule:
12/16 Word play test
12/16 WWI test
12/20 Math test
12/21 Spelling quiz
12/21 Test structure test
12/21 Science test
12/21 Invention due
Is this the "norm?" Please tell me what you think.

Seems normal to me but of course 5th is when we really started with different teachers for every subject so those would have just been our midterm tests.

She has 2 teachers (am & pm). AM teacher is the WWI, math, and science test, and invention project. PM teacher are the others. These are not midterms.

Seems perfectly normal to me. As someone else said, finishing up on what they've covered and assessing it before the holidays.

5th grade was the absolute hardest in my opinion.

Yes that is a lot to do in the next week but when you think about it its most likely because they are trying to wrap things up before Christmas break instead of expecting children to keep it fresh in their mind for a week and a half.

I bet the 22nd and 23rd are going to be filled with fun!

Seems normal to me, but not if every week is like that. We go through "waves" in 4th grade where DD9 has a ton of work one week and less the next. End of marking period is always busier.

They're finishing up before break. That doesn't seem abnormal. I have no idea what a word play test or a test structure test is.

I'm going to be the dissenter. My DD is in 12th grade and I don't remember that much work being due all in a few days in 5th grade. I understand why teachers want to get things out of the way before winter break, but next week looks like a complete bear.

I'm going to be the dissenter. My DD is in 12th grade and I don't remember that much work being due all in a few days in 5th grade. I understand why teachers want to get things out of the way before winter break, but next week looks like a complete bear.

Only a project is due.
The rest are simply tests of material they have already been learning so the only homework for those is to study.
If they spread out the tests that would mean they would either have to start new material or have quite a few fun days.
In 5th grade specifically I can recall having multiple tests in the same week on a regular basis.

4th grade teacher here. Testing before a break seems totally normal. However, the number of content tests listed does seem high. The state I work in would not have so many content areas. Our 5th grades have math, reading, writing, and word study. Each of these could have a test, but that would still only be 4. And we don't have kids study at home. We just want to see what they know independently. I would be more bothered by the amount of content areas and work expected to study at home at that age than the timing of the test.

12/16 Word play test
12/16 WWI test
12/20 Math test
12/21 Spelling quiz
12/21 Science test
12/21 Invention due

So, a ton of study and work on the weekend before Christmas break? Seems counter-productive since kids are checking out this weekend. I know around here the kids go on break this Friday and are out til Jan 3. Everyone knows they won't work the week before Christmas, so no point ruining their or their parents' week.

Smart teachers would have tested everything earlier this week and last and planned a unit study for the last few days/week before break (note, I didn't say videos to waste time). It's a perfect time to dive into a Lit book (which there is never time for), Math games/drills (for the computation that always seems to lag), Science Labs (again, these are always lagging to the book learning), or with WWI, it could have been the book and events surrounding the 1914 Christmas truce.

So, a ton of study and work on the weekend before Christmas break? Seems counter-productive since kids are checking out this weekend. I know around here the kids go on break this Friday and are out til Jan 3. Everyone knows they won't work the week before Christmas, so no point ruining their or their parents' week.

Smart teachers would have tested everything earlier this week and last and planned a unit study for the last few days/week before break (note, I didn't say videos to waste time). It's a perfect time to dive into a Lit book (which there is never time for), Math games/drills (for the computation that always seems to lag), Science Labs (again, these are always lagging to the book learning), or with WWI, it could have been the book and events surrounding the 1914 Christmas truce.

It doesn't matter what you plan, if students have checked out, they have checked out. As a teacher, I experience this and be it tests, assignments, projects, hands on activities, learning games, labs, etc they are NOT interested. So for a teacher knowing that, might as well go on as if it were a regular day of school. Out last few weeks Upcoming weeks will include state testing remediation, state retesting, benchmarking exams, six weeks exams, prep for semester exams.

12/16 Word play test
12/16 WWI test
12/20 Math test
12/21 Spelling quiz
12/21 Science test
12/21 Invention due
would you really want a couple of these tests on Jan2 or 3 just after the winter break. yes it is a lot in a week but is testing just after a break better? been there before with a test second day back from a break was no fun either

would you really want a couple of these tests on Jan2 or 3 just after the winter break. yes it is a lot in a week but is testing just after a break better? been there before with a test second day back from a break was no fun either
Teacher sent out email today said she is postponing WWI test until next week. So that will make 4 tests and 1 quiz in 3 days (she has just 3 days of school next week), not including invention project due. Teacher went on in email about parents/concerns. I guess I'm just rattling around in my brain what is the educational benefit/value of cramming so much in in so little time? I know a little late for this, but spread out better? Better time management?

Teacher sent out email today said she is postponing WWI test until next week. So that will make 4 tests and 1 quiz in 3 days (she has just 3 days of school next week), not including invention project due. Teacher went on in email about parents/concerns. I guess I'm just rattling around in my brain what is the educational benefit/value of cramming so much in in so little time? I know a little late for this, but spread out better? Better time management?
I know the year my daughter had test on Jan3 it was a bad break because she just worried about it and with all the family plans very little time to study until near New Years and if I remember right it was for a 6th grade class but I forget which one.

I homeschool my kids and do give them tests/quizzes and I personally wouldn't give so many in a weeks time like that. That's a lot IMO and stressful. Unfortunately though it has become the norm and parents accept it as being normal. There's no reason why they can't be broken up a little. Seems like the teacher doesn't plan the curriculum out very well. Good luck to your DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!