Opinions on Maelstrom Closing!

expeditioneverestgrl

DIS Veteran
Oh gee where do I start?
I already miss Maelstrom! Who doesn't? I have really great memories on Maelstrom! It was simple but unique! I know frozen is a good movie but Elsa is taking over Disney world! They should've made a new frozen ride at Epcot, not taken one away and replacing it. Tell me what you think... :)

I'm not gonna say I didn't like it, I thought it was awesome, but it was coming for awhile now. It was never busy, I don't think I ever saw a wait time of more than 25 minutes, so it all came down to money they were losing. They're gonna replace it with a Frozen ride which will get a bigger crowd and they're not wasting the power to operate a ride that not many people are just dying to get on. I really liked it and I hate to see it go because it was such a cool ride, but also I completely get why they're deciding to go another way.

I like Frozen just as much as any other Disney fan, but I LOVE Maelstrom! It's one of those original rides and I love joking around how it has Fastpasses when for us, the line has never been more than 15 minutes. But I love that ride so much, and in all honesty, I can't really explain why. I just do. I drag my family on it every time we go to EPCOT :D It may not be the most popular ride out there, but it's a classic and I don't want it to go...

Although, I can see why they're replacing it. I'm sure the Frozen ride will be great.

But Maelstrom's better ;)

Personally, I absolutely loved Maelstrom. There wasn't a trip to EPCOT without it. I feel like it's a bit of a waste to build a Frozen ride. I think it belongs in MGM (I know no one calls it that anymore but it's just something that's classic to me and I'm gonna keep saying it.) Let's be honest, Frozen has almost nothing to do with Norway. I think it is a stupid idea but they're gonna make more money off of it so that wasn't a bad idea. However, they already have fireworks dedicated to Frozen, they had "Wandering Oaken's Trading Post," all they had to do was keep those open and have more meet and greets and it would've been fine for me. Maelstrom was a great ride that was actually about Norway. I can't believe it's gone.:sad2:

Wait....THAT WASN'T A RUMOR??? :sad:

I've seen the Maelstrom line as long as 45 minutes, everytime I go. The lowest I've seen the line is 5 minutes, but that's because Epcot had just opened. Well, I kind of knew it was coming anyway, because Frozen takes place in Norway, and since that's where Maelstrom's located, it's only fitting that they take something out to put Frozen in. Seriously, the line is sooooo long for such a small place, because I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Norway seems smaller than the other countries, but that might be just me. I don't know what to think. Let's just hope that the Frozen ride won't change Maelstrom TOO MUCH because the movie has similarities to the ride.

Personally, I absolutely loved Maelstrom. There wasn't a trip to EPCOT without it. I feel like it's a bit of a waste to build a Frozen ride. I think it belongs in MGM (I know no one calls it that anymore but it's just something that's classic to me and I'm gonna keep saying it.) Let's be honest, Frozen has almost nothing to do with Norway. I think it is a stupid idea but they're gonna make more money off of it so that wasn't a bad idea. However, they already have fireworks dedicated to Frozen, they had "Wandering Oaken's Trading Post," all they had to do was keep those open and have more meet and greets and it would've been fine for me. Maelstrom was a great ride that was actually about Norway. I can't believe it's gone.:sad2:

Frozen actually took place in Norway. (Either Norway or Denmark, but I'm leaning more towards Norway because of their clothes.)

Frozen actually took place in Norway. (Either Norway or Denmark, but I'm leaning more towards Norway because of their clothes.)

I know that. But almost nothing in Frozen was Norwegian related. The only thing was really the cold weather, the kingdom itself and the accent in "Wandering Oaken's Trading Post. (and sauna!)"

I know that. But almost nothing in Frozen was Norwegian related. The only thing was really the cold weather, the kingdom itself and the accent in "Wandering Oaken's Trading Post. (and sauna!)"

Oh, gotcha.

Personally, I'm really excited for the refurb- I never liked Maelstrom that much and I have an irrational love for Frozen, so I can't wait to see what Disney comes up with. However, I can see why so many people are angry/upset with Disney's choice- Maelstrom was a very real part of what made the Norway pavilion so great for people with a Norwegian background. If Disney took out anything in the Italian pavilion I'd probably be really mad. (Although lbr, there's not much to take out from the Italian pavilion.)

I wasn't really familiar with the Maelstrom ride, so I won't miss it terribly. I love frozen, but I do think they are really abusing the movie's publicity and popularity. They should make a different character ride about Brave or Tangled maybe? Or even Sleeping Beauty.

Really angered with these decisions WDW is making I love maelstrom and Frozen doesn't belong in EPCOT like lets be serious it really doesn't!

Wished they would have just incorporated some of the Frozen characters into the ride instead of complete overhaul. I liked Maelstrom, you need to keep some orig. old types of rides to retain charm and familiarity...just my opinion though. :)

Maelstrom was my brothers favorite ride and he is quite literally devastated, claiming that Disney is dead to him. As for my opinion, I have always absolutely loved the ride, and hate that it's being changed, but changing it to frozen will get them a lot of money and make tons of little girls very happy. I did like frozen, but I mean seriously, how much money do you think they raked in just for the Elsa and Anna meet and greet? I'm sure there were visitors that came for that. Plus, the Frozen Summer Fun and the dresses were so popular, it was kinda obvious that they were going to do this... Breaks my heart, but it's all about money.

Sad to see it go. I can't say it was my favorite ride but I will miss it. Epcot needs to be about the countries it wants to represent, not about Frozen.

Sad to see it go. I can't say it was my favorite ride but I will miss it. Epcot needs to be about the countries it wants to represent, not about Frozen.

I agree, but do remember they have the three cabelleros and Akershus. which have characters.

Disney works very closely with the countries in WS, and I can't imagine them changing it without Norway.
Also, I'm a Disney purist about most things, but I don't understand the big deal about Maelstrom. Is the problem mostly because it's turning into Frozen? I've only been on it once, and I don't remember much, so if someone would enlighten me I'd be eternally grateful.

disneyanney said:
I agree, but do remember they have the three cabelleros and Akershus. which have characters.

Disney works very closely with the countries in WS, and I can't imagine them changing it without Norway.
Also, I'm a Disney purist about most things, but I don't understand the big deal about Maelstrom. Is the problem mostly because it's turning into Frozen? I've only been on it once, and I don't remember much, so if someone would enlighten me I'd be eternally grateful.

I am with you a bit on this. It was a nice ride, but not one I would ride more than once in a trip. And the videos before and after were dull.

The Three Cabelleros are actually a good sign that this may work, IMO. Until it changed very recently, it was Rio Del Tiempo and had no Disney characters, and was about Mexico. The addition of the Three Cabelleros didn't change it completely - it is still about Mexico. It just has a Disney element to it.

So, in conclusion I don't understand why we have to have a panic about it. If Disney decided to change the Reflections of China into a Mulan ride, not nearly as many would be upset about this (though it might be because a Mulan ride would be epic)

I am with you a bit on this. It was a nice ride, but not one I would ride more than once in a trip. And the videos before and after were dull.

The Three Cabelleros are actually a good sign that this may work, IMO. Until it changed very recently, it was Rio Del Tiempo and had no Disney characters, and was about Mexico. The addition of the Three Cabelleros didn't change it completely - it is still about Mexico. It just has a Disney element to it.

So, in conclusion I don't understand why we have to have a panic about it. If Disney decided to change the Reflections of China into a Mulan ride, not nearly as many would be upset about this (though it might be because a Mulan ride would be epic)

^^^^
Glad I'm not alone on this. I'm fine with Malestrom becoming a Frozen ride. Frozen isn't even one of my favorite movies, but it'll fit well and be cute. I never have rode it (Which says something. I've ridden almost every ride but it's never really interested me that much), but videos make it seem really outdated. Plus, most countries are supposed to fund their pavilions. Norway has been neglecting their pavilion. The new ride will probably be a lot more charming and entertaining. If they opened up the amazing Remy ride that's at Disneyland Paris (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPH57rPrnJE) in the France pavilion. I think we'll look back and apperiate Malestrom but be glad it got an update to Frozen. And there's still many magical things in Walt Disney World that bring nostalgia.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney

"I'm as pure as Disneyland fanatics can get, “ Tony Baxter told The Los Angeles Times in 1995 as the park embarked on a fateful program of change, “When a new ride comes and an old one drops out, there are bound to be twinges. But it has to happen, or (Disneyland) becomes a museum and an arthritic collection of things people were attached to in the '60s."

I understand that a Frozen attraction will get a lot more attention for the area, but I love Maelstrom and will be very sad to see it go. We rode it two or three times every trip. And honestly, I do like Frozen, but I don't think that a Frozen attraction really belongs in EPCOT. While it is a Disney movie, it doesn't exactly fit the theme of the park..? :confused3

I've only ridden it once or twice, so I'm not so attached. I do love Frozen, but I thought they should have a ride sort of like Star Tours. It could be the journey to Elsa's castle or something. I don't know, that's just what I thought.

I love the idea of a new frozen addition, but Maelstrom was one of the classic walk on rides to do while waiting for a fast pass. Making money is important but they should try to keep a few of the "walk on" classics around. They're part of the magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter