Opinions on Bongos?

senadler

DIS Veteran
I have really never heard any comments on Bongos at DS. We are going to be with a larger group of adults, teens, and young children. We wanted to spend some time at DS and are looking for a good table service option on the dining plan for dinner. Our trip is in late March, and for a group that size, we are somewhat limited, but the menu at Bongos looked pretty interesting. Just wanted to get any thoughts from those that may have eaten there.

We enjoy the food, but prefer the more recently opened Frontera Grill.

Have you considered Splitsville?

I tried to like it.....tried 2 times. Not to my taste.
So many good restaurants now at DS......we really enjoyed Homecoming.
Boathouse and Frontera Concina also.....but they are loud

I enjoyed our meal there. We were able to get a rather last minute ADR on Black Friday, right after the Drone Light Show, so it was perfect.
We were on the floor, near the stage and performers and really enjoyed them.
Especially DH as he has a (not so) secret thing for women of Hispanic descent. ;)
Service was very nice, manager makes a point to stop by all tables to chat with guests to make sure they are enjoying their night. I like that touch
We'd have no problems going back again though with so many places at DS to try it could be a while

We've been to Bongos several times and really enjoy Cuban food. The band and dancers are great entertainment and the entire staff was friendly every time we've been there. And.....Mojitos!

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the service, but everyone in our party was unhappy with our food.

We were there for lunch last March - a last minute walk up. On that trip, I was debating between Wolfgang Puck Cafe and Bongos.

I personally really enjoyed it - I ate mostly seafood. We were on the Deluxe DDP so tried a few different options.

This is what I wrote in my dining review (in my signature):
When we got there, we were still debating what to eat. My son quite liked the menu at Wolfgang Puck Cafe but I was thinking of eating dinner there, so we ended up choosing Bongos Cuban Cafe. I was a bit nervous because my kids are not a fan of Cuban flavors (or Mexican, or Latin, or...). The waitress reassured us and did her best to walk us through the menu and help us make our choices.

We chose to share 3 TS credits here for lunch and again, the server did not bat a lash. Appetizers were: Fried Calamari (Calamares Fritos) Lightly breaded calamari served with criolla marinara sauce (YUM!!), Traditonal Ceviche (Ceviche Tradicional) Corvina fish marinated in lime juice, red onions, cilantro and mild jalapeño peppers served with crispy plantain chips (gluten-free). These two apps were for me and I loved them both. I dream about ceviche and it's not something I get often (not common where I live). After much discussion with our server, my DS decided to go with an app - Crispy Pork Bites (Masitas de Puerco)Mojo marinated pork topped with grilled onions (Gluten-free). Sadly, he didn't care much for this. He didn't like the spices they are marinated in.

DD chose Breaded Palomilla Steak (Bistec Empanizado) Our famous Cuban breaded palomilla steak. Served with white rice and black beans. They were able to offer fries as a side instead. She LOVED this and DS also begged for whatever scraps she would give him.

I had the Famous Criollo Seafood Combo (Famosa Zarzuela de Marsicos) Lobster, shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, calamari and fish in a Cuban criolla sauce. Served with white rice and green plantains (gluten-free). I totally pigged out on seafood between the 2 apps and the entree. It was all so good! My DH had Grilled Fresh Grouper Filet Grilled fresh grouper served with our famous black beans and whole grain brown rice which was OK.

We were way too full to eat dessert. Plus, the kids were getting impatient to go to Disney Quest. So we decided to pack it to go. I am obsessed with Tres Leche so that was a must for me - Three Milk Cake Homemade cake soaked in a sweet blend of three milks topped with whipped cream. I cannot remember what the 2nd dessert we got was - probably Guava Cheesecake Homemade NY style cheesecake served with our unique guava marmalade sauce on the side. We also got the Churros Six pieces of churros served with condensed milk, chocolate and strawberry sauce hoping to give it away to our nieces. Unfortunately, we stayed on opposite sides of Disney Springs and never managed to coordinate a meetup. I eventually ate some a couple of days later and some friends who met up with us at that time finished up the rest of the stale churros. They were fine - we are just not big fans of churros.

We had the desserts for breakfast/snacks over the next couple of days. The Tres Leche was yummy (never met one I didn't like) although not the best I've ever had (we did spend Christmas in Austin after all). I think the cheecake was good, but knowing my DD, she likely skipped the guava marmalade. I didn't get to try any so no clue. Still, there's no such thing as a yucky cheesecake.

All in all, it was a good meal. I don't know that we would return. I loved my food but the rest of the family was just so-so about it (although DD also enjoyed her breaded steak, mostly because it was pretty plain). I would suggest studying the menu and making your decision from there if your family is unfamiliar with Cuban food.

:):):) Good, will happily eat here again

My family is Cuban and I really enjoy Bongos. I find it to be authentic and delicious. Bongos (either Cafe OR Express) is always on my must-list.

The menu is pretty expansive and diverse. I highly recommend the Ropa Vieja/shredded beef dish and the breaded palomilla steak or chicken. My husband enjoyed the seafood combo on our last trip.

It is a very lively, fun restaurant...on the flip side, it can be quite loud and difficult to converse when you have a large party (but that is true of most DSp restaurants with live music).

I LOVE cuban, and after trying it every couple of years to terrible result, gave up. The service was always super friendly though.

We have eaten there several times, always with good results. But, you have to like Cuban/Spanish food. The spices are the spices you either like them or you don't. The food is not perfectly authentic, but authentic enough. The restaurant is spacious and the service is great. There is also outside seating. Enjoy.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it definitely helped. We are on the deluxe plan and have a large party, so I think we can sample a lot and have plenty to eat even if we don't love everything. I am still trying to get a reservation at Homecoming, but if I don't get that I think we will stick with Bongos.

I have really never heard any comments on Bongos at DS. We are going to be with a larger group of adults, teens, and young children. We wanted to spend some time at DS and are looking for a good table service option on the dining plan for dinner. Our trip is in late March, and for a group that size, we are somewhat limited, but the menu at Bongos looked pretty interesting. Just wanted to get any thoughts from those that may have eaten there.
I'd say it's a perfect choice for it will cater to all ages....That is if you like this type of food, Which I'm guessing you do.(Otherwise this place wouldn't even have been a consideration) Atmosphere is excellent, food top notch , service has always been great, & just a cool vibe there, whether eating inside or outside.

We've been to Bongos several times and really enjoy Cuban food. The band and dancers are great entertainment and the entire staff was friendly every time we've been there. And.....Mojitos!
This Exactly!!

We were there for lunch last March - a last minute walk up. On that trip, I was debating between Wolfgang Puck Cafe and Bongos.

I personally really enjoyed it - I ate mostly seafood. We were on the Deluxe DDP so tried a few different options.

This is what I wrote in my dining review (in my signature):
When we got there, we were still debating what to eat. My son quite liked the menu at Wolfgang Puck Cafe but I was thinking of eating dinner there, so we ended up choosing Bongos Cuban Cafe. I was a bit nervous because my kids are not a fan of Cuban flavors (or Mexican, or Latin, or...). The waitress reassured us and did her best to walk us through the menu and help us make our choices.

We chose to share 3 TS credits here for lunch and again, the server did not bat a lash. Appetizers were: Fried Calamari (Calamares Fritos) Lightly breaded calamari served with criolla marinara sauce (YUM!!), Traditonal Ceviche (Ceviche Tradicional) Corvina fish marinated in lime juice, red onions, cilantro and mild jalapeño peppers served with crispy plantain chips (gluten-free). These two apps were for me and I loved them both. I dream about ceviche and it's not something I get often (not common where I live). After much discussion with our server, my DS decided to go with an app - Crispy Pork Bites (Masitas de Puerco)Mojo marinated pork topped with grilled onions (Gluten-free). Sadly, he didn't care much for this. He didn't like the spices they are marinated in.

DD chose Breaded Palomilla Steak (Bistec Empanizado) Our famous Cuban breaded palomilla steak. Served with white rice and black beans. They were able to offer fries as a side instead. She LOVED this and DS also begged for whatever scraps she would give him.

I had the Famous Criollo Seafood Combo (Famosa Zarzuela de Marsicos) Lobster, shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, calamari and fish in a Cuban criolla sauce. Served with white rice and green plantains (gluten-free). I totally pigged out on seafood between the 2 apps and the entree. It was all so good! My DH had Grilled Fresh Grouper Filet Grilled fresh grouper served with our famous black beans and whole grain brown rice which was OK.

We were way too full to eat dessert. Plus, the kids were getting impatient to go to Disney Quest. So we decided to pack it to go. I am obsessed with Tres Leche so that was a must for me - Three Milk Cake Homemade cake soaked in a sweet blend of three milks topped with whipped cream. I cannot remember what the 2nd dessert we got was - probably Guava Cheesecake Homemade NY style cheesecake served with our unique guava marmalade sauce on the side. We also got the Churros Six pieces of churros served with condensed milk, chocolate and strawberry sauce hoping to give it away to our nieces. Unfortunately, we stayed on opposite sides of Disney Springs and never managed to coordinate a meetup. I eventually ate some a couple of days later and some friends who met up with us at that time finished up the rest of the stale churros. They were fine - we are just not big fans of churros.

We had the desserts for breakfast/snacks over the next couple of days. The Tres Leche was yummy (never met one I didn't like) although not the best I've ever had (we did spend Christmas in Austin after all). I think the cheecake was good, but knowing my DD, she likely skipped the guava marmalade. I didn't get to try any so no clue. Still, there's no such thing as a yucky cheesecake.

All in all, it was a good meal. I don't know that we would return. I loved my food but the rest of the family was just so-so about it (although DD also enjoyed her breaded steak, mostly because it was pretty plain). I would suggest studying the menu and making your decision from there if your family is unfamiliar with Cuban food.

:):):) Good, will happily eat here again
Well thought out & intimate review, Couldn't have said it better myself.

We have eaten there several times, always with good results. But, you have to like Cuban/Spanish food. The spices are the spices you either like them or you don't. The food is not perfectly authentic, but authentic enough. The restaurant is spacious and the service is great. There is also outside seating. Enjoy.
You can say that about any ethnic food though, No?

Wondering what you ordered that gave you this impression.

Because, being of Puerto Rican descent and growing up eating my mother's & grandmother's & both older sisters cooking, not only does this place rival my family's, but surpasses on some occasions as well :confused3.

My mom and I ate at Bongo's in September. We had the deluxe dining plan and ate at A LOT of places over the course of six days. (I dragged her -everywhere-.) But we REALLY enjoyed Bongo's! We got the Estefan Cuban Combo for an appetizer. It was really good! I didn't 100% know what I was eating most of the time, but the only thing I avoided was the beans. We also Skirt Steak and the Strip Steak. They were two totally different cuts of meat, but the flavors were incredible. There was SO MUCH FOOD. We split both of the steaks so we could see what we liked best. I still have no idea. Both dinners were fantastic.

We had the Tres Leches Cake (disclaimer: it's my claim to fame at home, so theirs was disappointingly bland for my taste) and the churros for dessert. We were not super impressed with them, since they were a little hard. But! All in all, the food was fantastic.

And! They have the sweetest staff! Our waiter was VERY attentive all night. And periodically, they start a conga line. I did not join in on those shenanigans (that's a recipe for a panic attack.) But my mom was pulled in and had a great time. :)

If you can get past how loud it is in there, you'll love the atmosphere. There's a wonderful energy flowing through the restaurant.

As for Homecoming, we also ate there! (I told you, we ate a LOT in six days.) And the food was great there, too. I still talk about the cocktail I had to everyone who'll listen. If you're an alcohol person, try the Local! It's fantastic!!! If you have a bunch of heavy eaters, do the thing where you get three sides as a 'meal'. It's cheaper than just paying for sides. But my mom and I got two appetizers, two meals, and then all of those sides. And it was WAY too much food. (Granted, the apps are small. But our eyes were definitely bigger than our stomachs.) Save room for the donuts, though. Everyone talks about the cake, but seriously--we fought over the donuts. They're AMAZING.

Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience. :)

My opinion on Bongos? Well, there's a reason why the restaurant won't survive to see 2018.

Food was ok, but service was pretty bad.
Our meal (one app to share, one alcohol drink, one soda, one water, 2 main courses) took 2+ hours. Over 15 minutes wait to put in a drink order; another 15 to get the drinks; another 30 minutes for the app (put in at the same time as the drinks); another 15 minutes to get soda/water refills; another 30 minutes waiting on dinner; 20 minutes to eat; then 20 minutes waiting for the check and another 20 waiting to get my card back.
Couldn't get a manager because they were all busy watching the show (along with all the waitstaff). The people who were next to us...they were seated before us; their appetizers came out when our drinks did and their main courses after ours. They were still trying to pay when I left.

Never again.

We've eaten at Bongos a few times and really like it. My kids (now 12 and 14) love it. There is an appetizer (sorry, I don't recall what it is called) that is like fried balls of mashed potatoes, with beef in the center - we HAVE to get those every time we eat there!

Food was ok, but service was pretty bad.
Our meal (one app to share, one alcohol drink, one soda, one water, 2 main courses) took 2+ hours. Over 15 minutes wait to put in a drink order; another 15 to get the drinks; another 30 minutes for the app (put in at the same time as the drinks); another 15 minutes to get soda/water refills; another 30 minutes waiting on dinner; 20 minutes to eat; then 20 minutes waiting for the check and another 20 waiting to get my card back.
Couldn't get a manager because they were all busy watching the show (along with all the waitstaff). The people who were next to us...they were seated before us; their appetizers came out when our drinks did and their main courses after ours. They were still trying to pay when I left.

Never again.
Wonder how long ago that was. It's possible the manager then was so bad it's all been turned over. I get why you wouldn't try it again, after that we wouldn't either (service is very important to us) but it was totally different, at least with the manger, when we went. He was probably more attentive to the guests than the service staff. Making a point to chat with all the tables. If they'd had a bad one the newer one could work to be very different

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter