Official Wii/DS Q/A thread. FAQ in first post! Game reviews in second post!

My kids (ds7 and dd11) have nintendo ds and love mario kart and super mario. We're getting a wii for Christmas, it seems mario kart is a big hit here but what about super mario? What is the best mario game? Also, my son is big time into Star Wars. He has the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga for his ds. I hate to just buy the same game for Wii, but what do you think is the best Star Wars game for a 7 year old? He love the light saber and I could see that would be cool with a wii.

thanks!

Tell me about Sims - I bought the animal one (zoo? african animals?) something like that - is it a good one? Worth the money? Any thing objectable for a conservative family (like do they kill the animals or anything)

BUY the first SM Galaxy game..well worth it and since the story is supposed to be attached to it for SMG2 you might want to be up to date..and SMG2 isn't on the way anytime soon...not till at least next summer but more likely not till next fall.

Thanks for the tip!

Am thinking of getting the Wii Play from Amazon for $40.77 b/c I need a second remote. Does that sound like a good price?

Doh! I missed this price and it's gone up! Now I have to decide whether to pull the trigger at the higher price, or gamble and hope someone has a sale...

I would get the Lego Star Wars for the Wii. It's not really the same on the DS, I htink. My son has both. I think the Lighsaber Duels game is a dud.

Any DS suggestions for adult games? Like trivia games? (Don't think dirty, now! lol)

In the stores everything seems geared for young kids. I don't really want to play fashion designer!

I read several pages so I hope this hasnt been asked and answered,are there any trivia games or games that would not require alot of motion?There are days where my health plays a factor but I still would like to use my wii.thanks in advance.

My kids (ds7 and dd11) have nintendo ds and love mario kart and super mario. We're getting a wii for Christmas, it seems mario kart is a big hit here but what about super mario? What is the best mario game? Also, my son is big time into Star Wars. He has the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga for his ds. I hate to just buy the same game for Wii, but what do you think is the best Star Wars game for a 7 year old? He love the light saber and I could see that would be cool with a wii.

thanks!

Both Super Mario Galaxy and The New Super Mario Bros are awesome games--you can't go wrong with either. I'm a big Paper Mario fan too, but I would start with the other two.

Lego SW is definitely the only SW game for a 7yo.
Tell me about Sims - I bought the animal one (zoo? african animals?) something like that - is it a good one? Worth the money? Any thing objectable for a conservative family (like do they kill the animals or anything)

You never kill anything in any Sims game to my knowledge.
As a conservative family I would bookmark this site:
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

It has very good, comprehensive reviews of game content.

Any DS suggestions for adult games? Like trivia games? (Don't think dirty, now! lol)

In the stores everything seems geared for young kids. I don't really want to play fashion designer!

lol Aim for the games that never go under $30! lol You can't go wrong with any mario game. All the Brain games are good (Brain Age). I can't think of a trivia game, but that's not my thing.

Adventure games like Zelda or Mario and Luigi are great with puzzles and are appropriate for older kids and adults. There's also tons of great puzzle games like Zoo Keeper (basically Bejeweled)...

Silly question, for Super Mario Galaxy is there a way to make Mario stop? I really, really, really hate how he keeps going and going even if I'm not moving him. I've tried searching online, but am not having any luck. :blush:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, Professor Layton, Henry Hatsworth, Brain Age, and Cradle of Rome are all puzzle type games that I've enjoyed. Not so sure about trivia games though, sorry.

I just bought a Wii for Christmas (first gaming system ever) and I'm looking at Madden 10 and Madden 09.
09 got one star better review on Amazon and includes "All Play" in the title. Does that mean it has more features than the Madden 10?
Anyone recommended the 09 over the 10?
They are pretty close in price (today anyway..).
Thanks!

I have been looking at getting karaoke revolution for our new wii for myself for Christmas. But now I am going to buy DH Guitar Hero World Tour guitar kit. I know you can add drums or vocals, but can you play with ONLY vocals, like instead of buying the karaoke game? And would the microphone be the same for both games? This karaoke/rock band/guitar hero thing has me sooo confused. :confused3

My youngest is huge Mario fan. He has asked for Christmas one of these games: Mario Party for the Wii or Mario Super Slugger for the Wii....he can only get one so which is better? I have looked at reviews and I can not tell! We already have Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and my mother has bought him the new Super Mario Bros for Christmas, too. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Also, how is the Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story game for the DS? Would it be appropriate for a 5 and 9 year old?

Thanks

Wal-Mart is selling the Wii on Saturday for $199 with a $50 gift card!! This is only in stores and not available on-line.

My son wants Pokemon Emerald for Game Boy. It's not available from Amazon directly anymore. When did Nintendo stop making these? Where can I find one? TIA!

My son wants Pokemon Emerald for Game Boy. It's not available from Amazon directly anymore. When did Nintendo stop making these? Where can I find one? TIA!

You'll have to buy it used if you can find it. It's an older one.

I just bought a Wii for Christmas (first gaming system ever) and I'm looking at Madden 10 and Madden 09.
09 got one star better review on Amazon and includes "All Play" in the title. Does that mean it has more features than the Madden 10?
Thanks!

I'm surprised you can't find the old one cheap. I assume 10 has the all play feature too. Go to www.ign.com and read the reviews there--it should say if 10 has that feature.

I have been looking at getting karaoke revolution for our new wii for myself for Christmas. But now I am going to buy DH Guitar Hero World Tour guitar kit. I know you can add drums or vocals, but can you play with ONLY vocals, like instead of buying the karaoke game? And would the microphone be the same for both games? This karaoke/rock band/guitar hero thing has me sooo confused. :confused3

Yes, you can play GH just as a singer and you can use the mics interchangeably.

My youngest is huge Mario fan. He has asked for Christmas one of these games: Mario Party for the Wii or Mario Super Slugger for the Wii....he can only get one so which is better? I have looked at reviews and I can not tell! We already have Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and my mother has bought him the new Super Mario Bros for Christmas, too. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Also, how is the Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story game for the DS? Would it be appropriate for a 5 and 9 year old?

Thanks

Do you want a plain old baseball game or do you want a board game-style game with tons of minigames? Have you ever had a MP game before? I think MP is the better choice between the two unless he's played older versions and is sick of it. Sluggers is fun too, but I think MP is has more replay value.

Bowser's Inside story is awesome, but he should play the first Mario and Luigi game first. Doesn't HAVE too, but it helps.

Does anyone know if for Toy Story Mania you can use a nerf gun made for the wii? I wasn't sure how it work.

I doubt it, but I don't know how the gun works. Does it just click into the wiimote or do you plug it in somehow?

Silly question, for Super Mario Galaxy is there a way to make Mario stop? I really, really, really hate how he keeps going and going even if I'm not moving him. I've tried searching online, but am not having any luck. :blush:

was your nunchuck joystick pressed in a direction while you turned on the game??? only way i know mario would keep moving...cuz otherwise as long as you don't press the joystick he shouldn't move.

Thanks!

since the wife dropped the ball on this...all play isn't in madden10. In fact as a madden purist i think all play was a bad thing...but it did make the game easier to play..good for kids.

As to what to buy...10 has this years rosters 09 will have last years...otherwise it doesnt much matter.

Also u should be able to get 09 used for WAY WAY CHEAPER then 10.

Does anyone know if for Toy Story Mania you can use a nerf gun made for the wii? I wasn't sure how it work.

Yes the nurf gun is nothing more then a wiimote shell. u can also use the crossbow training gun, or the any of the million other gun shells.

I believe it's been out of production since about 2005 shortly after the DS launch. Used is the best way to go to find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter