Official Star Wars Weekends 2013 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently on hold with Photopass trying to find missing Chewy pictures. At least the music is great. :worried:

Not good.

Apparently there where "technical difficulties" with that photographer. :( She said there are very few photos of Chewy between the time frame and there should be tons. She did say I could try back later (next week) and see if any were able to be recovered. :sad2: :sad1: :sad:

Lesson learned. Backup Photopass with my own camera.

Oh man! Total bummer! I do hope they find them!!!

Ok...checked in for JTA at 10 and then at 10:30 or so they paraded the kids over to the stage. My kids were on the bottom and got to fight Darth Maul. Afterward, I gave DS choice of trying to see the parade (which was starting in just a few minutes) or go on Star Tours with our about to expire FPs. He picked Star Tours so we did that.

Next, we headed to SciFi Diner for an 11:30 am reservation. Nice and cool and we all enjoyed our lunch. Finished lunch around 12:15 and my DW and DD5 left to go to hotel. This was when I'd planned to go to some SWW shows and meet characters with DS10. Well, we did go over to Darth's Mall and look around. But, DS decided he wanted to go on RnR and ToT more than he wanted to wait for characters or see the shows. We got FPs for ToT which were about an hour and 15 minutes out and then, in the mean time, rode RnR twice via Single Rider line. Rode ToT and then went to see the 2:45 Lights, Motors, Action Show.

So...again....this really did turn out to be more "regular" Studios day than alot of SWW...but, for those that are trying to fit in "regular" stuff too, hopefully helps a little... :)

We did get a picture with Darth Maul on our way to Muppets earlier that I forgot to mention. It was also fun to see Chewie and Darth Vader along the way though we didn't get in their lines.

After LMA, we did a little walking around and saw Stormtroopers and Tusken Raiders and got pictures. DW and DD5 met up with us at 5pm for the Disney Jr. Show. Then, we went to Brown Derby for our 5:30 dinner reservation. After dinner, we went to Little Mermaid - the 6:50 show. Then went to meet Mickey in Animation and then back to ToT and got FPs. Walked around Darth's Mall again and got pics with the rancor and the LEGO Vader.

We rode ToT around 7:55 pm. Walked by Hoopla and went on Great Movie Ride (my first Disney job). Got out of GMR around 9 pm. It was raining a little bit and they apparently cancelled Fantasmic. We left just ahead of the big throng of people that were heading toward us from Sunset.

Really a great day overall. I would have liked to have gone to see one of the shows or Hoopla but it was also really fun to see my DS suddenly turn into a thrill-ride lover. He would never go on anything faster than Splash or Big Thunder in the past. Funny, my DD5 had no problem going on RnR or ToT this time. I loved getting to go on them with both my kids. Usually I have to go off and ride by myself if I want to do those.

So...I know not as SWW a day as planned but that is my report! :wave2:

Great report, It sounds like you had fun despite not doing a lot of SW stuff...I think you're attitude toward the whole planning but not going commando worked great. And happy kids means happy parents.

Thanks for the info. So, it looks like without the additional shows, they did move Obi-Wan and Beyond up a little earlier (to 6:00 from 6:30). That's okay, still works with our plan.

On a side note, how is the WiFi at DHS? Just wondering if it has any reliability or if I'll need to use my data.

Yeah, like lovethattink said, it's spotty....It's great around Hollywood Blvd and the Star Tours area, not so great around Backlot Tour.

June 9th is when we are arriving in FL for our trip. We are actually staying offsite this night and were planning on going to the park early in the AM and then checking into POR later in the day.... That is until I noticed the MK is open until 1AM that night and it is also the last day of SWW!!! Is there still going to be anything going on SW oriented later in the day? We probably would not be able to get to the park at the earliest 8-9 PM. But if there is cool SW stuff going on still and we can stay til 1 I wouldn't mind paying for an extra day and parking. Couldn't find a schedule of any sorts, Thanks in advance!

jordanm said:
June 9th is when we are arriving in FL for our trip. We are actually staying offsite this night and were planning on going to the park early in the AM and then checking into POR later in the day.... That is until I noticed the MK is open until 1AM that night and it is also the last day of SWW!!! Is there still going to be anything going on SW oriented later in the day? We probably would not be able to get to the park at the earliest 8-9 PM. But if there is cool SW stuff going on still and we can stay til 1 I wouldn't mind paying for an extra day and parking. Couldn't find a schedule of any sorts, Thanks in advance!

The last thing sw related is at 8pm, hyperspace hoopla you can look for videos online. Other than that just the sw store.

We saw folks sitting on the front row for Hoopla by around 3:00. By 6:30, we could only get last row, in front of the sound booth. I watched it with my 61 pound DD11 on my back.......ouch. Wish they'd move it to the Indy theater.

You need to get there at least 2 to 3 hours before the show. When I used to do front row for Hoopla, I'd get there at least for the end of the last Padawan mind challenge. I waited until the end of Obi-Wan And Beyond this year, and a front row position was not possible at that time (about 7). There is a post above that says people are starting to "camp out" for the Hoopla at 3 PM which is 5 hours before the show.

One thing you need to watch out for is one or two people holding a place for a larger party. You may find what you think is a good position and then get squeezed out of it.

They will cancel the show if water pools on the stage. At that point it is dangerous for the performers. May also be the case that some of the costumes won't hold up in rain.

Agreed. DH got front and center at 4:30 pm on a Saturday evening. That is consistent with when we saw people lining up last year too. Watch the last PMC from near the front (he let people with kids in the show ahead of him to watch them then moved up). It was a long wait but he was very happy.

Thanks everyone for the helpful reports and experiences. This will really help him out! :cool1:

~NM

Jordanm- the Star Wars events are only at Disney Hollywood Studios and they are only open until 10:00 on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm hoping for 2nd or early 3rd because I have ADR for Mama Melrose's as part of Fantasmic package at 4:55. Also, random question: are they selling the Star Wars autograph book outside of Darth's Mall?

Yes, on the main street, there's a store to the left that is selling Star Wars Weekends merchandise (not the limited edition items) and the autograph book is there. I believe Tatooine Traders has it too.

I've been studying maps instead of doing what I should be doing today. Can someone confirm a few things for me?

1. If we exit Mama Melrose's and go to the left, we should be fairly close to the Premier Theatre, correct?

2. Pretty much everything SWW is concentrated on the left (as you're entering) side of the park, and the back, EXCEPT Darth's Mall, which is way over by ToT, correct? So touring should be fairly efficient, except when we saunter off to Darth's Mall...I think?

jtowntoflorida said:
I've been studying maps instead of doing what I should be doing today. Can someone confirm a few things for me?

1. If we exit Mama Melrose's and go to the left, we should be fairly close to the Premier Theatre, correct?

2. Pretty much everything SWW is concentrated on the left (as you're entering) side of the park, and the back, EXCEPT Darth's Mall, which is way over by ToT, correct? So touring should be fairly efficient, except when we saunter off to Darth's Mall...I think?

1. Yes, you can see the premiere theater from mama Melrose.
2. Yes, it's concentrated around star tours, streets of America and backlot Tour

It's taken me over a week to get around to posting. I've been following along and reading this entire thread so I wanted to add my own little report. We took a little surprise trip last weekend (left the 24th after picking DS up from school and came home on the 27th) We have never been to SWW and I honestly never thought it would be something that would fit into our schedule. Now I really wish we had done it a few years ago.

Since DD16 and I stayed at MK until 5:15am Fri Sat. was just a day to not really "try" and do too much. We went to HS to check everything out and took the tiny princess to Disney Junior, ate, and went to Darth Maul before leaving so the kids could go swimming. VERY uneventful but our 2 year old loooovvvvedd the Disney Junior show. Spent some time at MK that night but the plan was for me to get up and take DS as early as I could manage in to HS.

Small disclaimer....I'm almost 3month pregnant with nausea, exhaustion, and the sudden need for food and water RIGHT NOW plaguing me. This combined with DS's new tweeny angst mixed with his own emotional moments were the only real issues/problems that hit us.

We got to the bus stop at Coronado around 6:40 we were the only ones who rode on it. Got to bag check about 6:55. Now DS desperately wanted to meet Ray Park and could not grasp why that couldn't happen until we got there and he saw the lines for him and Warwick. We went up to the turnstiles to wait and most people were being moved to the right side. I looked back and noticed Ashley and one other (can't remember who) barely had any lines yet. So DS and I decided to go wait in Ashley's line, got our FP and went back over to the far left to wait to get in. Followed the masses to the ropes and loved the opening show. Then marched over to sign up for JTA. Some parents are seriously ridiculous the way they push past. We asked for a later time so we could grab some autographs. Then we headed over to get Darth Maul, Vadar, both Fetts before I told him we needed food before going to JTA. Met a super nice couple while eating then off to become a Jedi. He had a great time but I could see the longing on his and another boy his ages face as they watched the kids on the bottom fighting Darth Maul.

After this I hit my first wall and bought some water and told him I needed to sit in the shade. We could have tried to catch the parade but honestly I was not up for it. As we were sitting there I realized we were right across from Chewie's line so I figured we might as well sit there if we were going to be sitting. Chewie was by far one of the best interactions I have ever had. A little boy a few families in front of us tripped and fell. Chewie came over and sat on the ground, picked the boy up and snuggled with him on his lap making sure he was OK. He gave DS and me big bear hugs and gave me kisses on my head because I told him he was always my favorite.

Then we had 2 FP for Star Tours and since I can't ride (makes me sick even if I wasn't pregnant) DS got to ride 2X in a row. This is when I noticed the crowds reaching the level of insanity.

We walked over to streets of American to see what was over there and I hit another wall. NEED FOOD NOW! Went over to Pizza Planet and I almost cried. I have never ever seen a line that long winding around both inside and out. The heat was getting to me again and I had that moment of things going woozy and dark (happens every pregnancy, even passed out in the past) so I grabbed DS's shoulder who immediately got all defensive and angsty and pulled away. This made me worse and angry but I needed to get something fast so I told him to follow me and as quickly as I could found the stand in the streets of American and bought us water, Mickey soft pretzels and bananas and plopped down in the closest shade. Once I had some food and water in me and calmly asked him why he did that and explained what was happening to me.

We then went and traded with Jawa's took some pics with storm troopers and got in line for Warwick Davis's show. We considered getting other autographs but wanted to go the show more at that moment. The show was fabulously fun and hilarious. I even said that this alone made the whole day worthwhile to me.

At this point I was getting texts from DS and double DD's. They were sending me pics of tiny tot meeting the princess. She had met them before but was always shy. Well now she sat down talked to them in her own little language and gave them hugs. SOOO cute and I was sad I missed it, but she'll meet them again.

After the show we headed over the Darth Maul. First we shopped a little but DS had a very hard time understanding (although told repeatedly) that we only brought carry on luggage and no he can not have Darth Maul's light saber on this trip, next time. This was the second time I got frustrated. "Dude your 11, you know better, get over it, grow up, you're spoiled, you'll be back in a few months" was what I said in my head. I worded things differently to him with the same message but my patients was wearing thin. We got water did the magic shot photos outside and went back in line for autographs. Both Luke and Leia were out until 2 families in front of us when Luke left. Boooo. Oh well. Leia was pretty awesome. She made DS show his Jedi moves and gave him advice. Then pictures with the Rancor and we were out.

Then I hit another wall and needed food. Long lines everywhere so I jumped into a line at a small stand got ice cream, fruit, veggies and water. We sat in the shade over by ToT and ate. I felt like I couldn't move and all he wanted to do was go go go. He kept pestering me to go over to where Ray's show was just in case he could see him walking in or out. Couldn't seem to grasp how impractical and unlikely that was. I made him stay there until it was almost time to meet Ashley and he was getting restless. Once we got to her though he was fine. Someone on the way handed us FP to use for TSM which were for after our assigned autograph time. Ashely was really just as sweet as everyone here says. DS wanted his picture taken with his phone too so he could brag to his friend back home. It was a really wonderful encounter.

After this we headed to TSM and this was going to be it. HOLY **** I have never seen a FP line that lone. I was uncertain at first, but the line began to move. DH text me that him and the girls were back at the resort going swimming. I gave DS the option of leaving right then (before we got in line) or getting in line and then leaving. He couldn't decide and when the line began to move I decided we were staying. Once we were inside about half way he had a meltdown because he wanted to go swimming and all of my patience evaporated like water in the heat of the day. My apologies to anyone near me in that line because I snapped a little. I was exhausted and very sore and really over the emotional entitlement of wanting everything and not appreciating what he did get to have and do. I wasn't yelling but I know I had a snippy slightly louder angry mom voice. At one point I just stared away from him. Then some Star Wars god took pity and the line moved and we were sent to a separate "line" where no one was because there were only two of us and zoom we were on. Now before anyone questions me going on TSM while pregnant I had a bit of concern at first but honestly I was jostled around on the plane ride down a whole lot more.

After this we left and DH did wind up taking him swimming for a bit (which typical to his increasing mood was not long enough). Went to MK for fireworks and so his big sis could get her namesake mermaids autograph in which he fell asleep in line.

He kept telling me all day long how "he" was going to save up money for us to come back next year for SWW. I told him it was unlikely next year as we would not be getting AP again until we went next summer but maybe the following year. All in all we had a great time and I really wish we could have done it earlier and would love to go back again.

Sorry for the long post :guilty:

my boys want to meet James Arnold Taylor. What time do you think we can arrive and ensure we a fastpass for him?

Grimlock34a said:
my boys want to meet James Arnold Taylor. What time do you think we can arrive and ensure we a fastpass for him?

If you get there by 6:30 you should be fine.

Just asked 2 different cm . There are no rain locations for sw characters

That's not true. Some do have one

In line for (I hope) droids... They're saying it will just be c3po but I want to believe Kenny the pirate that they're lying... There has been a LIT of misinformation by the CMs about characters/ timing and its made me so sad. Stood in line multiple times for SW disney and the times from the site weren't lining up and the CMs would either say they didn't know or they'd give me the wrong info. They also closed the line early after telling me R2-MK wouldn't be back so even though I checked at the right time I couldn't see him AGAIN. Tried 3x at the correct times & kept getting shut out - he came, just randomly. No offense but the system of character rollette SUCKS and I don't think I'd try this again. Too bummed at wasting time. :( I was fine with the Vader & chip monk waits even though they were technically longer. There was also a couple that argued through THREE cast members including a manager about letting people ahead of them to get Jedi Mickey. It was quite a scene but they got their picture whereas I did not since I followed the "rules". Ugh. :sick: Back again today since I just couldn't get r2-d2 so I really hope he is in the next set... should be at Epcot instead. >_<

The thing is, entertainment is subject to change (and also, I wouldn't trust an app)

Currently on hold with Photopass trying to find missing Chewy pictures. At least the music is great. :worried:

Not good.

Apparently there where "technical difficulties" with that photographer. :( She said there are very few photos of Chewy between the time frame and there should be tons. She did say I could try back later (next week) and see if any were able to be recovered. :sad2: :sad1: :sad:

Lesson learned. Backup Photopass with my own camera.

Unfortunately, this does happen too often. So even with PhotoPass, I would still bring a camera

It's taken me over a week to get around to posting. I've been following along and reading this entire thread so I wanted to add my own little report. We took a little surprise trip last weekend (left the 24th after picking DS up from school and came home on the 27th) We have never been to SWW and I honestly never thought it would be something that would fit into our schedule. Now I really wish we had done it a few years ago.

Since DD16 and I stayed at MK until 5:15am Fri Sat. was just a day to not really "try" and do too much. We went to HS to check everything out and took the tiny princess to Disney Junior, ate, and went to Darth Maul before leaving so the kids could go swimming. VERY uneventful but our 2 year old loooovvvvedd the Disney Junior show. Spent some time at MK that night but the plan was for me to get up and take DS as early as I could manage in to HS.

Small disclaimer....I'm almost 3month pregnant with nausea, exhaustion, and the sudden need for food and water RIGHT NOW plaguing me. This combined with DS's new tweeny angst mixed with his own emotional moments were the only real issues/problems that hit us.

We got to the bus stop at Coronado around 6:40 we were the only ones who rode on it. Got to bag check about 6:55. Now DS desperately wanted to meet Ray Park and could not grasp why that couldn't happen until we got there and he saw the lines for him and Warwick. We went up to the turnstiles to wait and most people were being moved to the right side. I looked back and noticed Ashley and one other (can't remember who) barely had any lines yet. So DS and I decided to go wait in Ashley's line, got our FP and went back over to the far left to wait to get in. Followed the masses to the ropes and loved the opening show. Then marched over to sign up for JTA. Some parents are seriously ridiculous the way they push past. We asked for a later time so we could grab some autographs. Then we headed over to get Darth Maul, Vadar, both Fetts before I told him we needed food before going to JTA. Met a super nice couple while eating then off to become a Jedi. He had a great time but I could see the longing on his and another boy his ages face as they watched the kids on the bottom fighting Darth Maul.

After this I hit my first wall and bought some water and told him I needed to sit in the shade. We could have tried to catch the parade but honestly I was not up for it. As we were sitting there I realized we were right across from Chewie's line so I figured we might as well sit there if we were going to be sitting. Chewie was by far one of the best interactions I have ever had. A little boy a few families in front of us tripped and fell. Chewie came over and sat on the ground, picked the boy up and snuggled with him on his lap making sure he was OK. He gave DS and me big bear hugs and gave me kisses on my head because I told him he was always my favorite.

Then we had 2 FP for Star Tours and since I can't ride (makes me sick even if I wasn't pregnant) DS got to ride 2X in a row. This is when I noticed the crowds reaching the level of insanity.

We walked over to streets of American to see what was over there and I hit another wall. NEED FOOD NOW! Went over to Pizza Planet and I almost cried. I have never ever seen a line that long winding around both inside and out. The heat was getting to me again and I had that moment of things going woozy and dark (happens every pregnancy, even passed out in the past) so I grabbed DS's shoulder who immediately got all defensive and angsty and pulled away. This made me worse and angry but I needed to get something fast so I told him to follow me and as quickly as I could found the stand in the streets of American and bought us water, Mickey soft pretzels and bananas and plopped down in the closest shade. Once I had some food and water in me and calmly asked him why he did that and explained what was happening to me.

We then went and traded with Jawa's took some pics with storm troopers and got in line for Warwick Davis's show. We considered getting other autographs but wanted to go the show more at that moment. The show was fabulously fun and hilarious. I even said that this alone made the whole day worthwhile to me.

At this point I was getting texts from DS and double DD's. They were sending me pics of tiny tot meeting the princess. She had met them before but was always shy. Well now she sat down talked to them in her own little language and gave them hugs. SOOO cute and I was sad I missed it, but she'll meet them again.

After the show we headed over the Darth Maul. First we shopped a little but DS had a very hard time understanding (although told repeatedly) that we only brought carry on luggage and no he can not have Darth Maul's light saber on this trip, next time. This was the second time I got frustrated. "Dude your 11, you know better, get over it, grow up, you're spoiled, you'll be back in a few months" was what I said in my head. I worded things differently to him with the same message but my patients was wearing thin. We got water did the magic shot photos outside and went back in line for autographs. Both Luke and Leia were out until 2 families in front of us when Luke left. Boooo. Oh well. Leia was pretty awesome. She made DS show his Jedi moves and gave him advice. Then pictures with the Rancor and we were out.

Then I hit another wall and needed food. Long lines everywhere so I jumped into a line at a small stand got ice cream, fruit, veggies and water. We sat in the shade over by ToT and ate. I felt like I couldn't move and all he wanted to do was go go go. He kept pestering me to go over to where Ray's show was just in case he could see him walking in or out. Couldn't seem to grasp how impractical and unlikely that was. I made him stay there until it was almost time to meet Ashley and he was getting restless. Once we got to her though he was fine. Someone on the way handed us FP to use for TSM which were for after our assigned autograph time. Ashely was really just as sweet as everyone here says. DS wanted his picture taken with his phone too so he could brag to his friend back home. It was a really wonderful encounter.

After this we headed to TSM and this was going to be it. HOLY **** I have never seen a FP line that lone. I was uncertain at first, but the line began to move. DH text me that him and the girls were back at the resort going swimming. I gave DS the option of leaving right then (before we got in line) or getting in line and then leaving. He couldn't decide and when the line began to move I decided we were staying. Once we were inside about half way he had a meltdown because he wanted to go swimming and all of my patience evaporated like water in the heat of the day. My apologies to anyone near me in that line because I snapped a little. I was exhausted and very sore and really over the emotional entitlement of wanting everything and not appreciating what he did get to have and do. I wasn't yelling but I know I had a snippy slightly louder angry mom voice. At one point I just stared away from him. Then some Star Wars god took pity and the line moved and we were sent to a separate "line" where no one was because there were only two of us and zoom we were on. Now before anyone questions me going on TSM while pregnant I had a bit of concern at first but honestly I was jostled around on the plane ride down a whole lot more.

After this we left and DH did wind up taking him swimming for a bit (which typical to his increasing mood was not long enough). Went to MK for fireworks and so his big sis could get her namesake mermaids autograph in which he fell asleep in line.

He kept telling me all day long how "he" was going to save up money for us to come back next year for SWW. I told him it was unlikely next year as we would not be getting AP again until we went next summer but maybe the following year. All in all we had a great time and I really wish we could have done it earlier and would love to go back again.

Sorry for the long post :guilty:

Joanna71985 said:

The thing is, entertainment is subject to change (and also, I wouldn't trust an app)

Unfortunately, this does happen too often. So even with PhotoPass, I would still bring a camera

Would you be able to share where the rain locations are? Since it looks like rain chances this weekend are higher.

The information in my app is Disney's schedule. However, "All entertainment is subject to change without notice." I knew for sure that Ahsoka would arrive at at a certain time, but she was bumped one day. I knew when Chewie would arrive Day One, but he was late. Things happen that change schedules, with that said, hundreds of people have found my app to very reliable.

The information in my app is Disney's schedule. However, "All entertainment is subject to change without notice." I knew for sure that Ahsoka would arrive at at a certain time, but she was bumped one day. I knew when Chewie would arrive Day One, but he was late. Things happen that change schedules, with that said, hundreds of people have found my app to very reliable.

I love your apps! Thanks for taking the time to post all that help on the Dis boards as well as your own site. You've saved people countless hours and helped to really increase our enjoyment of our Disney trips by making things that much easier. Your devotion to the task is evident and I would like to thank you for putting out such great information!

~NM
PS I'm really :love: Loving the new phone app!! :thumbsup2

Kenny, DGrD and I used your site on Fri and Sun the 2nd weekend and it made ALL the difference for us!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
A couple of characters ran a little late, and Boba Fett was moved to the front stage on our first morning - but we caught up with his afternoon schedule and saw everyone we wanted to see thanks to your schedule - Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter