***** Official * July 2017 * thread! *****

How do the experts decide which day to visit which park? I'm guessing it will be super crowded when we are there 7/4-7/9. Do y'all use the EAsyWDW crowd calendars or just wing it? My ADR day is tomorrow! I made zero ADR's for our trip 3 years ago and swore this time I would make some! What are people's favs for newbies w/ school age kids??

How do the experts decide which day to visit which park? I'm guessing it will be super crowded when we are there 7/4-7/9. Do y'all use the EAsyWDW crowd calendars or just wing it? My ADR day is tomorrow! I made zero ADR's for our trip 3 years ago and swore this time I would make some! What are people's favs for newbies w/ school age kids??

I usually look at all the crowd calendars. When we do a full week at Disney, I really study up on our days. With this July trip, I am kind of using TP, and KTP. I looked at Josh's last year's predictions and will look at his 2017 calendar as well, but with us only doing 2 days this trip, it's just down to us having a good plan of attack.
With Pandora probably being open, I am waiting to hear reports on crowds. I assume AK will be insane, so we may skip it, and do HS.
As far as ADRs, have you done any character meals? I like character meals because my kids get to see the characters and it starts the trip off with excitement. CM is eh, okay for food, we don't mind it, and it's easy from POLY on monorail.
We've done almost every character meal thru the years, my DD15 used to be a big princess fan. If you have any questions, ask!
What ages are your children?
We like Ohanas for dinner, DS5 likes his big bowl of mac n cheese. :)
I am debating on trying the luau, but it has some bad reviews, so I am leaning towards Ohanas again.
Sci fi is a lot of fun and a nice break form the heat at HS.
We did BOG for dinner on Spring Break last year, my DD15's request. It was pretty good, and fun to get your pic with the Beast.
Liberty Tree is a nice lunch, and again, nice break.
We also are big fans of PPO breakfasts. :) Not sure how those will work with the opening show at MK moving. This trip I am hoping MK has the EMM on our Sunday, we may try it since it's a short trip, get in those rides early. :thumbsup2

If I was going the week you are going, I would definitely take a look at Josh's calendar when it comes out. Just to give yourself an idea.

definately make ADRs during a busy time. That way you are guaranteed a time to sit and relax. My son loves Tusker and Chef Mickeys and always has. another son now in his 20s loves Whispering Canyon and Liberty Tree. My daughter like Park Fare. The whole family likes Via Napoli.

At this point we have gone enough that we do not have a plan outside of ADRs and FPs.

We like Ohanas for dinner, DS5 likes his big bowl of mac n cheese. :)
I am debating on trying the luau, but it has some bad reviews, so I am leaning towards Ohanas again.

It is funny I am the opposite had a bad experience with Ohana years ago. Every trip I say I am going to give it a second chance,, end up cancelling it walk by see the crowds and am glad I cancelled. This year I plan on doing both,

Not that I consider myself an expert... but I do use the crowd calendar you mention, as well as EMH's to plan our days. We are doing a super long trip this time, so it is important for us to schedule in down-time as well otherwise we will be burned out! I have Early Morning Magic booked at MK for one morning to get one of our early days going... I also plan to do AM AK EMH one morning as well - we have 3 half days scheduled there because I feel like it will be extra busy with Pandora hopefully opening before our trip. We book a lot of ADR's early and then weed things out - I know that Disney always releases new things the closer our trip gets so I like the flexibility of having a lunch and dinner ADR booked now, so that if some new show pops up and we need to cancel our dinner or such, we still have a lunch to fall back on. We are staying CL so we also plan a lot of resort time to enjoy the offerings at both resorts we are staying out. I just love having a lounge to visit to get snacks and drinks! We end up spending less on ADR's because of that. I'm not sure if my response is helpful at all - but those are the things I think about when our ADR day came up. :-)

Thanks everyone! I booked some restaurants this morning and I'm just so excited!! Tusker House, Akershus, Be our Guest, Crystal Palace, and 'Ohana. I did not think I wanted to do the dining plan, in case we wanted to go eat somewhere off property (like go grab pizza or chick fil a to save some $, since we are driving and will have our car). But then I looked at the prices of the restaurants I picked and...wow! Holy smokes, EXPENSIVE! But like I said, we don't go often and I want to go to some fun places, especially character meals. I crunched the #'s and it looks like we will save $ on the kids, and break even or come out ahead slightly with the adults. I calculated the cost of the table service dinners (they are all easy, no menus, just the one price!) and if I add in 15$ for BOG lunch each, that gives us $60 left over to cover 3 more quick service lunches, all the snacks, and the mug. So looooooonnng story short I think I will buy the DDP!

The only reservation that I didn't get at a perfect time was 'Ohana on July 4th. I had to choose 4 or 8:30, and since we are going to be at Universal that day I didn't want to do 4pm. We may be done by 4 but maybe not.

So if we are eating at 'Ohana at 8:30 and the fireworks start at 9, how does that work? Will they let us go watch the fireworks show outside? I doubt I would be lucky enough to get a table with a view. We are staying at poly and one of the reasons I chose it was because of the fireworks view (and I know July 4th will be quite a show!). Anyone have advice?

The only reservation that I didn't get at a perfect time was 'Ohana on July 4th. I had to choose 4 or 8:30, and since we are going to be at Universal that day I didn't want to do 4pm. We may be done by 4 but maybe not.

So if we are eating at 'Ohana at 8:30 and the fireworks start at 9, how does that work? Will they let us go watch the fireworks show outside? I doubt I would be lucky enough to get a table with a view. We are staying at poly and one of the reasons I chose it was because of the fireworks view (and I know July 4th will be quite a show!). Anyone have advice?

I'm not sure what the policy is with leaving your table at Ohana to view fireworks... but they will also be shown on the 3rd of July - we are planning to watch both nights from the beach area because they are so fantastic. You could always watch on the 3rd just in case!

Thanks everyone! I booked some restaurants this morning and I'm just so excited!! Tusker House, Akershus, Be our Guest, Crystal Palace, and 'Ohana. I did not think I wanted to do the dining plan, in case we wanted to go eat somewhere off property (like go grab pizza or chick fil a to save some $, since we are driving and will have our car). But then I looked at the prices of the restaurants I picked and...wow! Holy smokes, EXPENSIVE! But like I said, we don't go often and I want to go to some fun places, especially character meals. I crunched the #'s and it looks like we will save $ on the kids, and break even or come out ahead slightly with the adults. I calculated the cost of the table service dinners (they are all easy, no menus, just the one price!) and if I add in 15$ for BOG lunch each, that gives us $60 left over to cover 3 more quick service lunches, all the snacks, and the mug. So looooooonnng story short I think I will buy the DDP!

That was my reason for the Poly as well. I was able to get Ohana a little earlier though. I do not know about getting up to view the fireworks from the sounds of it that will probubly be around the time you are seated I would keep checking for a better time

Narrowing down my plans and change of plans. :teeth:
I am now leaning towards SOA on Saturday night. I sure hope we don't regret, but, it's something different so there is that! For those who have done it, is there a better time? I am leaning towards 8:15. We will probably do the Wishes dessert party Sunday, so seeing wishes Saturday isn't a must.
Also, any tips for seating?
Booked CBR for Monday night, I think we are going to plan for AK Monday, and if Avatar is open, we will see what they say about crowds. I am hoping with the am EMH, we can atleast get our favs done and if it's crazy leave and then head back if ROL opens. Hoping for ROL dinner package if it finally opens...
I am thinking TH late morning and skip CM this trip.
I am sure this is only the beginning of many changes I make, :lmao:I am notorious for plan changes at our house
ADRs in a week, I love planning!! :banana:

I am now leaning towards SOA on Saturday night. I sure hope we don't regret, but, it's something different so there is that! For those who have done it, is there a better time? I am leaning towards 8:15. We will probably do the Wishes dessert party Sunday, so seeing wishes Saturday isn't a must.
Booked CBR for Monday night, I think we are going to plan for AK Monday, and if Avatar is open, we will see what they say about crowds. I am hoping with the am EMH, we can atleast get our favs done and if it's crazy leave and then head back if ROL opens. Hoping for ROL dinner package if it finally opens...
I am sure this is only the beginning of many changes I make, :lmao:I am notorious for plan changes at our house

Oh my goodness. I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm drawing a blank. What is SOA?

Sorry, lol, Im sick and typing on DH laptop and apparently not with it, too funny!!! I meant Spirit of Ohana Im not even sure what I was trying to abbreviate there, :rotfl::bitelip:

Sorry, lol, Im sick and typing on DH laptop and apparently not with it, too funny!!! I meant Spirit of Ohana Im not even sure what I was trying to abbreviate there, :rotfl::bitelip:

I think you were right the first time.....Spirit of Aloha. :rotfl:We did the early show last August. It doesn't get a lot of love on these boards but we really enjoyed it. I would go for it!

It's too funny, I had to actually go to Disney's site after I posted and search luau, I'm brain fogged from cough meds. :bitelip:

I know it's not a Dis fav, that's why I didn't ask on a dining thread. I want to try a few new things, so I think we'll do it.

Thanks!!

My boys and I loved SOA when we went last year. We did the 8:15 show level 2. I booked it for our trip this past Sept but unfortunately we had to cut it. We are planning on doing it July 1st at 8:15 level 2. For many SOA is a must. One thing with Disney is you have to try it and decide for yourself.

Tusker is my 14 year olds new favorite and we have it booked for July. My husband and I have done wishes dessert party twice. We really liked it but had no choice of where we sat.

By CBR do you mean you added a night at Caribbean Beach?

My boys and I loved SOA when we went last year. We did the 8:15 show level 2. I booked it for our trip this past Sept but unfortunately we had to cut it. We are planning on doing it July 1st at 8:15 level 2. For many SOA is a must. One thing with Disney is you have to try it and decide for yourself.

Tusker is my 14 year olds new favorite and we have it booked for July. My husband and I have done wishes dessert party twice. We really liked it but had no choice of where we sat.

By CBR do you mean you added a night at Caribbean Beach?

Thanks for all the info!
So you feel level 2 is good seating? Will my DS5 be able to see well you think?

I've done Hallowishes dessert party, this will be our first Wishes party, but I thought it'd be fun to do in the summer. I think we will do the Plaza seating.

And, again, not sure if my abbreviation was correct, but yes, we are staying at Caribbean Beach Monday night.

14th-15th POR, 15th-17th POLY and Caribbean Beach 17-18th.
Thanks!!!

Thanks for all the info!
So you feel level 2 is good seating? Will my DS5 be able to see well you think?

I've done Hallowishes dessert party, this will be our first Wishes party, but I thought it'd be fun to do in the summer. I think we will do the Plaza seating.

And, again, not sure if my abbreviation was correct, but yes, we are staying at Caribbean Beach Monday night.

14th-15th POR, 15th-17th POLY and Caribbean Beach 17-18th.
Thanks!!!
I added Your CBR stay. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter