*Official* Great British Bake off Discussion Thread *may contain spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm missing this show, but enjoying the master classes where Mary and Paul show how the bakes should have been done.

One boy made a cake that looked like a pizza... it was the first time he baked, and he managed a perfect sponge which he cooked in a frying pan in the oven... red icing, grated white chocolate, and sweet toppings: looked and tasted amazing!

Another had made a cake that looked like a burger: two white sponges with a chocolate sponge in the middle. He used icing for cheese and cut up another sponge for chips- looked incredible.

Only one tasted a bit funny... the rest were delicious! My favourite was a classic Victoria sponge with beautiful icing and strawberries on top. Light as anything! But they were amazing as a bunch!

Im missing the show as well, I havent seen the masterclass but have told there is some sort of box set out for Christmas, I may have to look into that.:flower1:

I do believe I'm in the correct spot. The program I'm interested in, is titled, here in The U.S., "The Great British Baking Show".
However, it seems to be referred to The Great British Bake Off. It is obviously the same, as I see cast members mentioned in the season which is currently being run here in the U.S. on our local PBS station, i.e. Dorret, Flora, Alvin, et al.
This is the 3rd season I'm viewing. I love all things English, (have all of my life, don't really know why), I've been hooked from day one.
It is obviously delayed for broadcast here, we are currently in, I believe 4 episodes into Season 3.
Downton, Midwife, all delayed months before broadcast here.
Would someone be kind enough to offer background on Paul, Mary, and the 2 lovely lady "hosts', (American for presenters)?
Would LOVE to chat with anyone on all things English and or American.
( I don't want to alarm anyone, I'm not asking for email addresses or anything like that, if a rapport is established, would be lovely to chat about things, World events, Brexit, Donald Trump, etc, etc)

Last edited:
I'll share the little I know.

Mary Berry is a legend! She has written numerous cookery books in the UK and most of us have grown up using her recipes without even knowing it.

She suffered with polio as a child which is why her hands are not so strong.

Paul is a baker. I don't think I knew who he was before the Bake-Off programmes started. He went to the US to host a series there but I don't think it was too successful.

Mel and Sue started their careers as part of the Cambridge Footlights which has launched many comedy performers in the UK. They have independent careers but have done a few TV series together. I love them.

I do believe I'm in the correct spot. The program I'm interested in, is titled, here in The U.S., "The Great British Baking Show".
However, it seems to be referred to The Great British Bake Off. It is obviously the same, as I see cast members mentioned in the season which is currently being run here in the U.S. on our local PBS station, i.e. Dorret, Flora, Alvin, et al.
This is the 3rd season I'm viewing. I love all things English, (have all of my life, don't really know why), I've been hooked from day one.
It is obviously delayed for broadcast here, we are currently in, I believe 4 episodes into Season 3.
Downton, Midwife, all delayed months before broadcast here.
Would someone be kind enough to offer background on Paul, Mary, and the 2 lovely lady "hosts', (American for presenters)?
Would LOVE to chat with anyone on all things English and or American.
( I don't want to alarm anyone, I'm not asking for email addresses or anything like that, if a rapport is established, would be lovely to chat about things, World events, Brexit, Donald Trump, etc, etc)

If you're on your third series, you'll be pleased to know there are another 3 available. We've had 6 series of GBBO here!

I'll share the little I know.

Mary Berry is a legend! She has written numerous cookery books in the UK and most of us have grown up using her recipes without even knowing it.

She suffered with polio as a child which is why her hands are not so strong.

Paul is a baker. I don't think I knew who he was before the Bake-Off programmes started. He went to the US to host a series there but I don't think it was too successful.

Mel and Sue started their careers as part of the Cambridge Footlights which has launched many comedy performers in the UK. They have independent careers but have done a few TV series together. I love them.

Thanks for the background!

My DD and I are also addicted to this show. We started watching last season (was that the one where Ruby was a finalist?), and just recently saw the 3rd season on PBS here in the US (the one where Nadiya wins - we love her!). When we first started watching, we were preparing for a trip to London, and loved learning about all the British desserts. We were hoping to get a "spotted dick", but never had the chance. We like cooking shows in general, and also watch MasterChef with Gordon Ramsay. We did go to his flagship restaurant in Chelsea - very nice, but $$$$ (or lots of pounds, but I don't have that symbol on my keyboard!).

I heard they had to change the name to the Great British Baking Show here because Pillsbury uses the term "bake-off" for their baking contest.

Im going to close this thread so hopefully all posts will now be on the new 2016 discussion thread.

:yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter