**Official** Star Wars at DHS, Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party/Galactic Nights/Launch Bay/JT

I think Oct. 6th early closing time has been posted on the schedule for a while, has it not?
That's what I was about to say. I've known about the 6 pm closing for awhile now -- knew before I planned my park days and certainly before FPs.

Hi all, we did the Dessert Party on Saturday, July 23rd and had an absolute blast. One of the best parts was getting to see @yulilin3 right before the fireworks started and thank her in person for all she does with this thread.

Overall I thought the party was definitely worth it and would do it again! The food was all pretty good with the cupcakes and the frozen nuttella being some of the highlights. Of the savory items I liked the black bean dip - the flat bread pieces were good but some were a bit salty. They were also good about bringing out more as trays were getting low so never any waits for anything.

The drinks overall were pretty good - I even like the swamp milk one (had 2 of those) - though they were all a bit similar and on the fruity side. I did also notice that there was a bin of Mickey ice cream bars and fruit bars that you could just take as well. If they added back the coffee one they used to have or something just a little different I think that would be good - but really no complaints and they didn't skimp on the alcohol or anything.

The viewing area was great and really nice to not have to stake out a spot. I left a few minutes before the march out (about 9:05) and got the stroller and went to the roped area and got a spot right at the rope of main area (there were a few people there before me but not many) and then my kids were able to be right in front of us so it worked out great. Getting the Chewie Steins was a nice bonus, though would be nice if they had a couple of choices as we don't really need 5 of them.

I also interviewed by daughter after the event to get the thoughts of a 7-year old

Q: Are you a fan of Star Wars? Who are your favorite characters?
A: Sort of - mostly like the newest movie [The Force Awakens]. Rey and Leia are my favorite characters.

Q: What were your thoughts about the location for the dessert party, being inside the Launch Bay? And where we had our food [note: the food/drinks were down by the exhibit with Rey and her speeder are, but we ate up in the Cantina area where the Jawas came by]
A: I liked that it was in the Launch Bay - I liked that I got to take pictures of Chewbacca [note: we did the meet with Chewbacca right before the official party start time - my daughter didn't want to meet him though so was the "photographer"]. I liked where we ate as it was near the Disney Infinity set-up so I could play while you and Mommy were eating

Q: Did you like the food and drink offerings?

A: I did like the food - but it was mostly dessert. I wasn't crazy about the blue stuff but I liked the rocks on the BB-8 cupcake and also liked the rice krispy treat.

Q: What did you think of the location for watching the fireworks show and how you got to march out to it, being led by storm troopers?
A: I thought it was a good spot and liked how we got led out. I liked that me and my brother had our own area to stand [the front roped off section for kids/wheelchairs]

Q: What did you think of the firework show?
A: I think it was good. I liked how they had the projectors shown on the great movie ride outside. I liked when they showed Rey

Q: Any final thoughts? Would you recommend this for other kids?
A: Yeah, especially [she then lists out all her friends that she knows are really into Star Wars]. I think you do need to like Star Wars at least a little bit but you don't have to be a super fan.

Here are a few pictures of our time there and then from the viewing area so you can see the view you get:
Family with Chewie.jpg Peter trading with Jawa.jpg Dessert plate.jpg Kids at waiting spot.jpg Selfie.jpg

Hope this helps - happy to answer any questions as well!

Hi all, we did the Dessert Party on Saturday, July 23rd and had an absolute blast. One of the best parts was getting to see @yulilin3 right before the fireworks started and thank her in person for all she does with this thread.

Overall I thought the party was definitely worth it and would do it again! The food was all pretty good with the cupcakes and the frozen nuttella being some of the highlights. Of the savory items I liked the black bean dip - the flat bread pieces were good but some were a bit salty. They were also good about bringing out more as trays were getting low so never any waits for anything.

The drinks overall were pretty good - I even like the swamp milk one (had 2 of those) - though they were all a bit similar and on the fruity side. I did also notice that there was a bin of Mickey ice cream bars and fruit bars that you could just take as well. If they added back the coffee one they used to have or something just a little different I think that would be good - but really no complaints and they didn't skimp on the alcohol or anything.

The viewing area was great and really nice to not have to stake out a spot. I left a few minutes before the march out (about 9:05) and got the stroller and went to the roped area and got a spot right at the rope of main area (there were a few people there before me but not many) and then my kids were able to be right in front of us so it worked out great. Getting the Chewie Steins was a nice bonus, though would be nice if they had a couple of choices as we don't really need 5 of them.

I also interviewed by daughter after the event to get the thoughts of a 7-year old

A: Sort of - mostly like the newest movie [The Force Awakens]. Rey and Leia are my favorite characters.

Q: What were your thoughts about the location for the dessert party, being inside the Launch Bay? And where we had our food [note: the food/drinks were down by the exhibit with Rey and her speeder are, but we ate up in the Cantina area where the Jawas came by]
A: I liked that it was in the Launch Bay - I liked that I got to take pictures of Chewbacca [note: we did the meet with Chewbacca right before the official party start time - my daughter didn't want to meet him though so was the "photographer"]. I liked where we ate as it was near the Disney Infinity set-up so I could play while you and Mommy were eating

A: I did like the food - but it was mostly dessert. I wasn't crazy about the blue stuff but I liked the rocks on the BB-8 cupcake and also liked the rice krispy treat.

Q: What did you think of the location for watching the fireworks show and how you got to march out to it, being led by storm troopers?
A: I thought it was a good spot and liked how we got led out. I liked that me and my brother had our own area to stand [the front roped off section for kids/wheelchairs]

A: I think it was good. I liked how they had the projectors shown on the great movie ride outside. I liked when they showed Rey

A: Yeah, especially [she then lists out all her friends that she knows are really into Star Wars]. I think you do need to like Star Wars at least a little bit but you don't have to be a super fan.

Here are a few pictures of our time there and then from the viewing area so you can see the view you get:
View attachment 186440 View attachment 186438 View attachment 186441 View attachment 186439 View attachment 186437

It was great meeting you and the family, thanks for the review and a special thanks to your daughter cause now we have a review from a kids point of view :)
Is it ok if I link this post to the first page?

It was great meeting you and the family, thanks for the review and a special thanks to your daughter cause now we have a review from a kids point of view :)
Is it ok if I link this post to the first page?

absolutely! And if there are other aspects of the event or even other Star Wars things in DHS you'd like her thoughts on, let me know (those were just the questions that came to my mind).

Star Tours turned out to be one of her (and her brother's) favorite rides

We went to the dessert party on Sunday July 24. We have never done any dessert party at WDW. I'm on the fence about whether or not to recommend this one. It was pricey as I had to buy 6 tickets.
Prior to the party, we were able to get pictures with Kylo and Chewy (15 minute lines maybe), which was great, but anyone could do that, not just people who paid for the desserts.

If you are going for the desserts, well, I kept thinking how much dessert can one person eat? Enough to justify the cost? I love sweets, but I really wish there was a little something special for "party" goers. (A special meet and greet or something, I don't know) Having said that, the desserts were very nice. But again I'm not sure what makes it a "party" - there weren't even seats. We really didn't know what to do after we had our little plate of sweets so we headed outside of the launch bay and sat on the benches for a pretty long time.

We went back in prior to the lead in to our reserved fireworks area. Somehow (I'm not sure how) we ended up the furthest back in the reserved crowd - closest to the chewy stein giveaway tables. The view was decent, and I am 5'3 and I have kids that are just a bit shorter than me. But it wasn't terrible. I was just glad to be there and have a view at all.

As a side note, the fact that the CMs handed each one of us a small bottled water as we were paraded in to the reserved viewing area was a nice touch and very much appreciated.

I feel like I sounded negative in my review but in reality...We had a good time that night. And...Am I glad we did the dessert party? Yes, I would say so, but mainly for the fact that we didn't have to stand up in the middle of a crowd an hour or more early to get a decent view -
The fireworks show was fantastic!!!

We went to the dessert party on Sunday July 24. We have never done any dessert party at WDW. I'm on the fence about whether or not to recommend this one. It was pricey as I had to buy 6 tickets.
Prior to the party, we were able to get pictures with Kylo and Chewy (15 minute lines maybe), which was great, but anyone could do that, not just people who paid for the desserts.

If you are going for the desserts, well, I kept thinking how much dessert can one person eat? Enough to justify the cost? I love sweets, but I really wish there was a little something special for "party" goers. (A special meet and greet or something, I don't know) Having said that, the desserts were very nice. But again I'm not sure what makes it a "party" - there weren't even seats. We really didn't know what to do after we had our little plate of sweets so we headed outside of the launch bay and sat on the benches for a pretty long time.

We went back in prior to the lead in to our reserved fireworks area. Somehow (I'm not sure how) we ended up the furthest back in the reserved crowd - closest to the chewy stein giveaway tables. The view was decent, and I am 5'3 and I have kids that are just a bit shorter than me. But it wasn't terrible. I was just glad to be there and have a view at all.

As a side note, the fact that the CMs handed each one of us a small bottled water as we were paraded in to the reserved viewing area was a nice touch and very much appreciated.

I feel like I sounded negative in my review but in reality...We had a good time that night. And...Am I glad we did the dessert party? Yes, I would say so, but mainly for the fact that we didn't have to stand up in the middle of a crowd an hour or more early to get a decent view -
The fireworks show was fantastic!!!
Thanks for the review, do you mind if I link it to the first page?

View attachment 186440 View attachment 186438 View attachment 186441 View attachment 186439 View attachment 186437

I love the interview! My 3 year old great-niece is a huge Rey fan, too...when we were making dirt n worms pudding as a snacktivity, she made one for her Rey action figure...lol. Looks like you had fun! I actually want to try the Swamp Milk!

Now I sound very negative, but the show itself was good, my kids enjoyed it. Wouldn't recommend the dessert party without some changes to it - such as more tables, a bigger space, and some seating.

We attended the Aug 2nd party and were not very impressed. We had done the Wishes Dessert Party and loved the food, along with the seating area. It was relaxed and quite enjoyable. This party was crowded and we only had a table to use because a very nice young family invited us to join them. The food area has several stations that were often blocked by other guests.

Honestly, it was more of a "finger food" party. The Nutella was truly outstanding but the rest was just so-so. Small plates, too. At the MK party, they also had small plates but it was easy to go back for seconds. This was too congested to enjoy it. The spears with watermelon, tomatoes & mozzerella, and olives & cheese cubes were amateurish, IMHO. For that price, the MK party was better.

We won't go back.

Last edited:
We attended the Aug 2nd party and were not very impressed. We had done the Wishes Dessert Party and loved the food, along with the seating area. It was relaxed and quite enjoyable. This party was crowded and we only had a table to use because a very nice young family invited us to join them. The food area has several stations that were often blocked by other guests.

Honestly, it was more of a "finger food" party. The Nutella was truly outstanding but the rest was just so-so. Small plates, too. At the MK party, they also had small plates but it was easy to go back for seconds. This was too congested to enjoy it. The spears with watermelon, tomatoes & mozzerella, and olives * cheese cubes were amateurish, IMHO. For that price, the MK party was better.

We won't go back.
Is it ok if I link your review to the first page?

I was there last night too and feel similar. We got there at 8:15 and had nowhere to put our stuff as every table was taken. It is hard juggling kids, food and drink with nowhere to put your stuff and little kids who just want to sit to eat. I also felt a little crammed in trying o navigate getting the food. It cleared out after awhile. The food was ok, desserts were just so so for me, but I did appreciate the dips and cheese skewers. The drinks were strong! I had one and then then second was undrinkable it was so strong and I threw it away. We were not near the front of the walk out, so that was just like being in a crowd of walking people, not exactly special feeling. I had to hold my son who is 8 and 70lbs the entire show for him to see the projections. There was a guy holding an iPhone up recording the entire show that blocked some of our view. I didn't see any kids offered to go up front. Now I sound very negative, but the show itself was good, my kids enjoyed it. Wouldn't recommend the dessert party without some changes to it - such as more tables, a bigger space, and some seating.

I wanted to reply to this earlier, but haven't had a chance until now. I couldn't agree more with the statements that I bolded. As I mentioned earlier, we made it work, but I have to say we much preferred the assigned tables when we did the Wishes Dessert Party (a long time ago).

I had the "luck" of being right behind the guy who was holding the iPhone with arms outstretched straight above his head. :( My brother-in-law was to this man's right, and was also videoing with an iPhone, but he kept his at eye-level so I don't think (and truly hope) he didn't block anyone's view.

@yulilin3 ... we did notice that there were some free tables (e.g. out in the courtyard and near the Jawa trading area) ... but it seemed like a "food transport disaster" waiting to happen all things considered (stairs, kids, long enough distance, lots of people). Your idea about asking if kids could go up front instead of waiting for an invitation is probably the best option for those attending with younger kids, but honestly for the price each individual pays for the party, it shouldn't have to come down to people having to strategically plan (e.g. going out early, asking to sit in wheelchair area) how to get a good view.

I wanted to reply to this earlier, but haven't had a chance until now. I couldn't agree more with the statements that I bolded. As I mentioned earlier, we made it work, but I have to say we much preferred the assigned tables when we did the Wishes Dessert Party (a long time ago).

I had the "luck" of being right behind the guy who was holding the iPhone with arms outstretched straight above his head. :( My brother-in-law was to this man's right, and was also videoing with an iPhone, but he kept his at eye-level so I don't think (and truly hope) he didn't block anyone's view.

@yulilin3 ... we did notice that there were some free tables (e.g. out in the courtyard and near the Jawa trading area) ... but it seemed like a "food transport disaster" waiting to happen all things considered (stairs, kids, long enough distance, lots of people). Your idea about asking if kids could go up front instead of waiting for an invitation is probably the best option for those attending with younger kids, but honestly for the price each individual pays for the party, it shouldn't have to come down to people having to strategically plan (e.g. going out early, asking to sit in wheelchair area) how to get a good view.
I feel if the Chinese theater was elevated, like the castle, it would solve a lot if viewing problems.

Glad you and @Claudia1 has posted these reviews. Honestly, this show is a little frustrating for me... Going for DS2's first trip and I doubt he can wait an hour to an hour and a half to watch this show. So it's either the dessert party or missing the show. Judging from the reviews, I sort of wish the dessert party were still outside, seems easier and looks like they had much more space then.

Glad you and @Claudia1 has posted these reviews. Honestly, this show is a little frustrating for me... Going for DS2's first trip and I doubt he can wait an hour to an hour and a half to watch this show. So it's either the dessert party or missing the show. Judging from the reviews, I sort of wish the dessert party were still outside, seems easier and looks like they had much more space then.
When the dessert party was outside it was good because the tables would give you a buffer and not having someone directly in front of you was great, but it did take a lot more space.
I think Disney decided to move the party indoors to allow more space for general viewing and also an easier set up for them, with a controlled environment .
I can see pros and cons for it being indoors, but like I said, this show, although impressive and immersive, it's not well suited for DHS, nothing they can do though, since there's no other place where they could do it

I'm waiting on November party dates, but was wondering if there was a pattern to the nights on the available calendar?
For example, every Sunday and Thursday or something like that?
We are going the week leading up to Thanksgiving, so I hope multiple nights are offered, but I was thinking if there was a typical night, or nights, when it typically is scheduled.
thanking in advance!

I'm waiting on November party dates, but was wondering if there was a pattern to the nights on the available calendar?
For example, every Sunday and Thursday or something like that?
We are going the week leading up to Thanksgiving, so I hope multiple nights are offered, but I was thinking if there was a typical night, or nights, when it typically is scheduled.
thanking in advance!
The new show along with the dessert party has been offered nightly since it debuted in June

When the dessert party was outside it was good because the tables would give you a buffer and not having someone directly in front of you was great, but it did take a lot more space.
I think Disney decided to move the party indoors to allow more space for general viewing and also an easier set up for them, with a controlled environment .
I can see pros and cons for it being indoors, but like I said, this show, although impressive and immersive, it's not well suited for DHS, nothing they can do though, since there's no other place where they could do it

Very true, hard to please everyone :) I'm still waiting for the dessert party as I do want to see the show. We just have to make sure we leave early enough to get a spot by the ropes :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter