Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, dont get to post too often, but love to read as much as I can. I will be ordering my daughters cake for her 17th Birthday next month. We will be having her birthday dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe so obviously I will be ordering from GF Bakery. My question is this , I would like to order her a "monstersInc" themed cake. On top I want the door, and the three characters, What is the technical name if any for the edible stand ups. I dont need to have figures sculpted or anything like that. I just want to make sure that I am asking for the right thing. Thanks

I do believe it is a piece of white chocolate with the image screenprinted on it, not sure if there is a technical name. I just talked to Pat at the GF last week and she suggested using this technique for our cake. She will definately know what you are talking about. It may take a couple days for her to return your call so make sure you give yourself and her plenty of time before your event. Good Luck and Happy Planning!!! :)

Hello everyone, dont get to post too often, but love to read as much as I can. I will be ordering my daughters cake for her 17th Birthday next month. We will be having her birthday dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe so obviously I will be ordering from GF Bakery. My question is this , I would like to order her a "monstersInc" themed cake. On top I want the door, and the three characters, What is the technical name if any for the edible stand ups. I dont need to have figures sculpted or anything like that. I just want to make sure that I am asking for the right thing. Thanks

Assuming they use the same lingo as the cake people I work with- we usually refer to it as an edible image. While not the industry norm, the various WDW bakeries seem to prefer using white chocolate as the backing material. If I were calling, I'd say something like "I want an edible image white chocolate topper with a picture from Monsters Inc." - and then go on to detail what should be in the image.

I do believe it is a piece of white chocolate with the image screenprinted on it, not sure if there is a technical name. I just talked to Pat at the GF last week and she suggested using this technique for our cake. She will definately know what you are talking about. It may take a couple days for her to return your call so make sure you give yourself and her plenty of time before your event. Good Luck and Happy Planning!!! :)

Thanks for the info. I had heard "mixed" reviews about Pat and I want to try to be as clear with her as possible. Question, we will be there on May 29, should I just go ahead the first week of May and place my call to order or should I wait until the 2 weeks out?

Assuming they use the same lingo as the cake people I work with- we usually refer to it as an edible image. While not the industry norm, the various WDW bakeries seem to prefer using white chocolate as the backing material. If I were calling, I'd say something like "I want an edible image white chocolate topper with a picture from Monsters Inc." - and then go on to detail what should be in the image.

Thanks, I thought that it was some sort of chocolate, but wasnt exactly sure. This will be my first try at this so of course I want to get it right:goodvibes

Thanks for the info. I had heard "mixed" reviews about Pat and I want to try to be as clear with her as possible. Question, we will be there on May 29, should I just go ahead the first week of May and place my call to order or should I wait until the 2 weeks out?

The info on this thread says to order about 2 weeks before the cake is needed, but when I spoke with Pat she told me to call 4-6 weeks ahead of time. BUT to be on the safe side I would make a follow-up call closer to the 2 week mark to make sure everything was on schedule and your order was not overlooked. :thumbsup2

We got what they referred to as an "edible image" at the CR and it was laid flat on the cake, covering the top, like you'd get at a grocery store bakery. That wasn't what I'd requested. I asked for a white chocolate Snow White cake topper, or something like that (I don't recall the exact wording). I specifically stated that I did NOT want an edible image, but that's what we got anyway.

I suggest if someone wants a character standing up on the cake that they be very specific with the request -- make sure it is noted that you want it to be standing. We got a standing Mickey and Minnie at GF a while back and we loved it. :thumbsup2

We got what they referred to as an "edible image" at the CR and it was laid flat on the cake, covering the top, like you'd get at a grocery store bakery. That wasn't what I'd requested. I asked for a white chocolate Snow White cake topper, or something like that (I don't recall the exact wording). I specifically stated that I did NOT want an edible image, but that's what we got anyway.

I suggest if someone wants a character standing up on the cake that they be very specific with the request -- make sure it is noted that you want it to be standing. We got a standing Mickey and Minnie at GF a while back and we loved it. :thumbsup2

that's pretty disapointing when you specifically say I DO NOT want this and you get it. That worries me a bit about ordering as I know i will be hugely disapointed. in addition to receiving the wrong cake flavors which seems to happen quite a bit!

that's pretty disapointing when you specifically say I DO NOT want this and you get it. That worries me a bit about ordering as I know i will be hugely disapointed. in addition to receiving the wrong cake flavors which seems to happen quite a bit!

It was disappointing. However, the cake we got at the GF on the previous trip was exactly what we wanted, and it was delicious too! :thumbsup2

I read some pages ;) but had a quick question I did not find the answer to - I just want to order a Cinderella slipper for a birthday at CRT for next week. What is the best way to go about ordering it? I called the cake hotline number but just got a recorded message to email them and then they would email me and then I would email them (see where I am going with this :surfweb: )

In my experiences, they're all edible images...it's how they use that image to create the decorations. For example- if I use edible printer paper w/a food coloring printer- I can transfer that image to white chocolate or fondant and create something 3D to stand up as a true topper on a cake OR I can lay it flat on the actual cake like what they mistakenly did for you. Still baffling to me how someone could say edible image topper and get a lay-on image on the top of the cake.

My suggestion would be to send sketches. It's the best way to ensure you're on the same page w/the bakery.

I am thinking to get slipper for dd9 at CRT but figure the boy ds 7 is going to be unhappy if he gets nothing. Does anyone know if I could order the Jedi Mickey alone and have that served up for him. I definitely don't want his little feelings to be hurt:sad1:

I think the Jedi Mickey is only available at Yacht & Beach Club Bakery. If you want something to be delivered to CRT then I'm sure Brian at the Contemporary could help you surprise him with something GREAT!! They have other white chocolate topper options like Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Stitch, etc.

thinking of getting a 1st bday cake for my little one at cr
there will be 5 adults and 3 kids for sure
not sure what to do or just wait and order spur of the moment a few days before hand

Which would you do.....cake delivered to a meal (1900 Park Fare) or to your resort? I've had cakes delivered to resort before so that it's waiting when we get back from the parks. It's always a nice way to start a vacation! :goodvibes How do you manage taking the cake back to your resort?? I can just see holding it on a bus!! :scared1: We're staying at OKW so I would contact the Boardwalk Bakery. If 1900 Park Fare, I'm assuming I contact GF.

ToT cake.....I've only seen one on here which was the bell hops cap. Do you think anything else could be done??? :confused3

I was thinking about ordering a cake and having it delivered to Cinderella's Royal Table, since gratuity is already included in price do they charge an additional fee for delivery of the cake?

I just got off the phone from placing my order for a cake to be delivered to CRT on Friday. I sent the email yesterday and this morning Chef Brian returned my email with the quote and letting me know that he can do a cake similar to the pic I sent. I called the Contemporary Resort to place the order, she took the cake info (size, flavor, filling, fondant color, greeting), my reservation info and CC number (it is not being charged now, they need the number for the order) . I asked about gratuity and she told me the cake will be a added on charge to the bill which already includes gratuity. I guess we'll see Friday how that all works out :rotfl:

Does any one know if the 6 inch mickey delight cake can be made in colored fondant? Or is white the standard?

Which would you do.....cake delivered to a meal (1900 Park Fare) or to your resort? I've had cakes delivered to resort before so that it's waiting when we get back from the parks. It's always a nice way to start a vacation! :goodvibes How do you manage taking the cake back to your resort?? I can just see holding it on a bus!! :scared1: We're staying at OKW so I would contact the Boardwalk Bakery. If 1900 Park Fare, I'm assuming I contact GF.

ToT cake.....I've only seen one on here which was the bell hops cap. Do you think anything else could be done??? :confused3

The GF bakery can do pretty much anything you can dream up. :thumbsup2 I'd have the cake delivered to the room, though, just to skip the hassle of carrying it on the bus.

I was thinking about ordering a cake and having it delivered to Cinderella's Royal Table, since gratuity is already included in price do they charge an additional fee for delivery of the cake?

There is no delivery fee.

Does any one know if the 6 inch mickey delight cake can be made in colored fondant? Or is white the standard?

White is standard, but I've seen Mickey's Delight done with lavender colored fondant before. I'm sure it's not a big deal to change the color, but the stamps might not show up as well, depending on the intensity.

My daughter is turning 2 during our trip and I want to order a cake for her to be delivered to our dinner at the California Grill. There are 3 adults and 3 children in our party. I'm going to assume that my 2 older kids will want to eat the rice krispie sushi dessert, so I don't know how much cake they will eat (or rather, be permitted to eat, since I'm sure they would be perfectly happy to scarf both deserts down).

I am not sure what to order. I was originally thinking of doing a mini wedding cake with pink frosting, white mouse heads, and the white chocolate mouse ears on the top since it is so small and we won't have any leftovers. However, my DD LOVES "Mimmi," and Mickey, and I don't know if the little mouse head outlines on the cake with the chocolate ears would be enough to get her to squeal "Mickey."

My other choices are a Minnie Mouse head cake, but I really don't want the ganache (I love it, but for a 2 year-old, chocolate ganache is not a good choice for the clean-up) or a 6" cake. Can they do a 6" buttercream cake with a Minnie Mouse theme? I didn't really see any in the picture links, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

I also don't want to spend more than $50 since I bake fancy fondant covered cakes for my kids and paying that much for something I can do myself doesn't sit well with me (well, really, with DH).

Basically, what I want is something on the small side (not a podium cake, though) that will get my little one to squeal "Mickey"! or "Mimmi"! when she sees it.

I called and left a message at the CR private dining line about an hour ago and I'm waiting for a call back. The cake is for May 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter