Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

how long is the distance from the ship to the start of the race, and how fast do people walk to get there?
It's a long walk - probably over a 1/2 mile from the dock to the start point. We were kind of 'rope drop' walked to the start with a CM setting the pace so it was a controlled speed.

It's run every day you dock at Castaway, so if you double dip you get the opportunity to run it twice.

Not necessarily. We did the double dip last October and there was only ONE run on the very first day. I asked the CMs about it and they said a second run would only be done under certain circumstances. What ever that means. Lol :tongue:

Off topic - but PRINCESS VIJA - how do you get to be Magical Family so many times?!?!? or even once? :yay:
The first time we walked up to the far left turnstiles and were the first family there, with lots of natural animated excitement. After that I am convinced that a lot had to do with what we were wearing. 75% of the time that we were chosen for "things" is when we were ALL wearing matching red tshirts. We actually got chosen twice at Disneyland on the same trip. I think it is easier out there if you are wearing matching shirts because there you really stand out. few if any wear matching outfits when we were there. And we were also at the turnstiles first or close to the first. It is amazing and so glad we were picked! Hope you get picked one day too!

Merchandise,

a few more questions!
1. where is the 5k merchandise sold
2. what else is there other than tshirts
3. any idea on cost for items
4. what time should I tell DH to be there to buy the stuff, does it come out only after the first racers are back?
5. does the stuff usually sell out?

I've only seen shirts. No, ds has a hat so there was a hat at some point. They are at the store right at the Pelican tram stop just next to the Start/Finish line. I think they used to sell out more often than they do now. Not sure when the store opens. And since we don't know what time your run's meeti will be or how long it takes all the stragglers to come in, get their bibs, sit down and have the course briefing (you would not believe how many people to the wrong way around the loop), we can't know when DH should come out.

Merchandise,

a few more questions!
1. where is the 5k merchandise sold
2. what else is there other than tshirts
3. any idea on cost for items
4. what time should I tell DH to be there to buy the stuff, does it come out only after the first racers are back?
5. does the stuff usually sell out?
1. Shop right by the start/finish area. Also check onboard the ship, I know they were carrying stuff in the stores when they have the CC5K Challenge.
2. I got a CC5K pin in the shop I mentioned in (1) on the island when I ran the race in July 2014.
3. Best guess...$25-$30 for t-shirt, $15 for pin?
4. We just bought out stuff right after we finished the race in the Castaway Cay 5K gift shop near the start/finish line, I doubt you'll have a problem getting what you want.
5. I don't think so! :)

Question for anyone here, I will be departing on the dream september 18th and will be participating in the 5k on castaway cay. My question is does anyone do the theme costumes for this race like they do at the WDW or DL races? I was just curious, and didn't want to look ridiculous if I did. :genie:

I'm sure I've seen a tutu or two, but costumes? I don't recall any. It's just so casual. And it's before a day on the beach, so you don't want to be burdened with carrying the costumes the rest of the day.

Update:

completed the CC 5K with a broken arm!!!!
:cheer2::banana:party:

so, before the day asked MANY CM's about the 5k and how long a CM would be there. Of course I got many different answers, but pretty much all agreed that they would be there as long as it took for everyone to complete the 5k. some said up to 1 1/2 hours, and another said that towards the end they will have a CM ride a bike through the course to make sure everyone is through. I did see a CM come through on a bike.

I finished in just under an hour... so very happy considering the broken arm!

I had a lot of people cheer me on and support me throughout the race... so if you were one of those people on July 3rd that cheered me on, I give a heartfelt thanks to you. DH was at the end waiting for me, and he said a bunch of people came back to cheer me as I finished. You have no idea how much that meant to me!

so for anyone considering doing this go for it! It was awesome!!!

some helpful info to share:

As far as souvenirs go... the tshirts were there, and replenished later in the day as we went back souvenir shopping. they also had a auto decal (that is now proudly displayed on my car!), a hat and also there was a plastic mug/water bottle with the logo on it too.

Oh, and 1 more hint for those that walk slower, or need more time... when you go to the meeting place (on the Fantasy it was the Tube) position yourself toward the exit as you wait for everyone to register. that way as you head off of the ship you are toward the front of the pack and can make it to the starting line with a little extra time available to get there.

and we were the first of the ship, kind of fun to do that. I saw many people in the front go and drop off their bags on the beach on the way to the 5k.

to everyone... thanks for all of the help and support! I am so proud to say this was my first official 5k!!!!

Update:

completed the CC 5K with a broken arm!!!!
:cheer2::banana:party:

I finished in just under an hour... so very happy considering the broken arm!

I had a lot of people cheer me on and support me throughout the race... so if you were one of those people on July 3rd that cheered me on, I give a heartfelt thanks to you. DH was at the end waiting for me, and he said a bunch of people came back to cheer me as I finished. You have no idea how much that meant to me!

so for anyone considering doing this go for it! It was awesome!!!

I am so proud to say this was my first official 5k!!!!
Congratulations, Vija!

I am not sure if this was asked before in this thread, sorry it's just really long. Last cruise we had family with us to take our children but this time we don't. Is the island club open for the kids to go in while we run? I have a 4 and 5 year old? If not, do they still have the wagons?

Rather than weed through all the pages, can anyone confirm the age limit for the 5k and is there any cost? Thanks!

Rather than weed through all the pages, can anyone confirm the age limit for the 5k and is there any cost? Thanks!

The last year or so it's been 10+, I believe, to participate and get a bib and medal.

There is no cost in the normal island 5K. (the non-normal 5Ks are something you wouldn't accidentally come across so you don't have to worry about it, and if you're on the Dream cruise in January when they'll have one again, they'll ALSO have the free one, no worries!)

I'm curious, too!

Princess wrote "they did make an announcement...that the kids clubs are open to have kids dropped off on the way to the 5K start." :)

Thought I would come in here and see what is up :) In Oct I will be on the Fantasy...it will be our 10th cruise on DCL and have never ran the 5K, although I have wanted to....this time Im going to run it....no staying up late the night before :) Time to start getting my running shoes on and getting ready :)

I am not sure if this was asked before in this thread, sorry it's just really long. Last cruise we had family with us to take our children but this time we don't. Is the island club open for the kids to go in while we run? I have a 4 and 5 year old? If not, do they still have the wagons?

We did the CC5K on our Dream cruise la couple of weeks ago and we signed up our kids (8, 6) for the kids club on the island at the check-in meeting spot (for us it was in the D Lounge). Our check in time was 0830, and we started to debark at 0900. When the group got off the ship, we all walked to the starting line and the 5 families that had kids to drop off did that before the race started.

For those doing the race, it was HOT! Don't forget to apply a generous amount of sunscreen and keep hydrated. Even though it was hot and humid, it was so much fun. We would definitely do it again on our next cruise.

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this question has already been asked but my friend and I are planning on doing the CC5K while we are on our 7 night Western Carribean Cruise on the Fantasy in September. It is just the two of us taking the trip and we both want to do the run so was wondering about what we should do with our beach stuff with we run? Are their lockers that you can leave stuff in or will we need to go back to the boat to collect these after?

Also I did a 3 night cruise about 10 years ago and remember that there were characters available on your way from the boat to the beach, if we do the run does that mean we will be miss out on the characters in their beach wear?

Any advice you can offer would be great.

Thanks,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter