Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen beautiful cakes from YC and BC. Also some nice ones from GF. I just don't think the pastry chef at the Poly is into making cakes. I refuse to spend 50 dollars on a cake or more, and get something I hate. If anyone has some nice looking cakes from the poly, please post some pictures.

I tend to agree. We had an absolutely beautiful cake from GF for DD's birthday dinner at GFCafe - yellow cake, that luscious strawberries & custard filling, white frosting with delicate purple sugar flowers and silver stars. The cake we had at DS's birthday dinner at Kona was just as yummy but not nearly as pretty - the same cake & filling, but with chocolate frosting, Mickey head sprinkles, and writing that wasn't any better than I've done on cakes at home (and while I'm capable of decorating a reasonably attractive cake, I'm no pro).

Since I want a spectacular cake for my mom's/my birthday celebration, I made sure to make reservations at a GF restaurant for our birthday dinner.

Oh dear, TravelinGal - what they gave you was no bargain, no matter how good it tasted! I'm so sorry - especially after you went to all the trouble to email the original photo, etc. Whoever sent that out of the kitchen should be ashamed! The only explanation that I can think of is that the pastry chef must have called in sick that day and someone on the line stepped up to do the best he/she could do. I'm not blasting whoever made the effort if that was the case. I do think the restaurant should be blasted tho!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if you can buy the more elaborate cakes by the slice anywhere? I've been dying to try a piece of cake with that strawberry custard filling, but didn't have the opportunity to do so. I really don't want to buy a big cake, because there are really only 2 cake-eaters in my group and it will definitely go to waste.

What a good question. Have you checked the bakery on the boardwalk? I know they have smaller versions of some desserts. That would be such a good idea because sometimes a whole big cake just doesnt make sense but a real fancy slice would be just right.
Hmmm, you may be onto something here.:idea: Disney people take notice :goodvibes

We are celebrating our daughters un-birthday... This is our 1st trip...I didn't even know you could order a cake! We are doing lunch at CRT and thought about ordering a cake from there. She loves Belle and Cinderella. Any photos anyone can help me with? She also loves anything pink, chocolate, strawberries!

Well I had fun today going round and round with Disney. :upsidedow
I called to order a cake for my husband's birthday as well as some of the extra add ons for magical celebrations.

I went to the website and it said to call WDW dine so I did that. I told the woman I already have ADR's but I want to add a Mickey head birthday cake as well as three deluxe goody bags and a table centerpiece. She said "Oh you cant do that here". After going round and round about the website she said she would transfer me to the cake hotline.

I spoke to the cake hotline and got transfered over to someone at Cape May I think, because I never got her name ( I realized this only after I was transfered again lol) I set up the Mickey head cake with her for our Cape May reservation on our first night there. When I asked to do the rest she said "No you cant do that with me, you need to do that with the reservation line." :confused3

The reservation line transfered me back to ( you guessed it) WDW Dine.
She was finally able to place the order for the centerpiece, the goody bags and then the two little treasure chest cakes I ordered for my two little ones at the end of the trip at our Norway dinner.

I was amazed that the CM at the dine part at first had no clue what I was talking about. I mean this magical celebrations thing has been up and running for a bit now.

Another note to remember is that if you do one of these add ons and make any changes to your reservation (like say you get it bumped up earlier) you then need to recall WDW DINE to change your order for the items you want at that dinner.
I mentioned this only because our Norway dinner is so late so I was hoping to change it to be a little earlier. There are no openings as of yet, but the CM told me to call say three days out because this is usually when people will change or cancel their reservation. So she said if I did get an earlier time, I would need to call back and make the changes for the add ons.

They also did not give me any kind of confirmation numbers or anything at all. I really didnt feel to comfortable with this because there is no security at all lol. But hey after being on the phone with Disney for 20 min ( I can imagine the phone bill) I had enough. :headache:

So with that all being said we will see how I actually make out. Its a gamble to see what actually appear and what will not. I will keep everyone posted.

Its a shame that Disney really does not have there stuff together with this. I mean they are advertising so highly they really should know what it is they are offering.

Thank God I didnt go with like the Sweetheart dinner thing, that seems way more advanced :lmao:

I was just curious to know if you can request either a white chocolate or dark chocolate slipper at CRT? Also, can we request the filling? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure if they are a bit random or change annually. I did ask in January if I could specify for my February trip and was told no. We ordered slipper at CRT in November 2007 and it was the white chocolate one. On our trip on 21st Feb it was the darker chocolate one (although my DD doesn't like dark choc and loved this so maybe it was a blended type of chocolate taste - more what we would call milk choc in the UK).

They have always come on a sponge cushion with milk choc mousse inside and strawberries to the side.

If I can work out how to load my pictures I will post them both later.

I want to order something special for DD's birthday to have in our room the night before we leave (her birthday is our departure day). I've tried reading through the past few pages for more recent updates but I do not see anything about POP Century and that is where we are staying. Could a cake be delivered there or left in our room as a surprise? There are only 4 of us so we do not need anything big but I do want something to represent Disney. Any suggestions? TIA

The decorating is very pretty, the writing leaves something to be desired. I am sorry you were disappointed, and I do hope your celebration wasn't dampened by the cake, hope you had a great time in spite of it. Was it tasty?

Here's a pic of our anniversary cake made at Yachtsman Steakhouse by their pastry chef. We LOVED it! Perhaps it's all in the pastry chef??:confused3

ry%3D400

I LOVE THIS CAKE!!!

We are celebrating our 5 year anniversary at Yachtsman, and I am wanting to order a cake. Who did you call to place your order, specifically for the yachtsman?

Thanks!
Dawn

I LOVE THIS CAKE!!!

We are celebrating our 5 year anniversary at Yachtsman, and I am wanting to order a cake. Who did you call to place your order, specifically for the yachtsman?

Thanks!
Dawn

Call the cake hotline for the Yacht Club - or call the Yacht Club directly @ 407-934-7000 and ask for in-room dining. Make sure to tell them you want it delivered to the Yachtsman Steakhouse - have the name on the reservation, your time and reservation number and they will need a credit card hold to order then it is billed at the time of your dinner.

Make sure you dining reservation states it is your anniversary and they will usually print it on your menus for the evening.

Have a great anniversary trip!!

I want to order something special for DD's birthday to have in our room the night before we leave (her birthday is our departure day). I've tried reading through the past few pages for more recent updates but I do not see anything about POP Century and that is where we are staying. Could a cake be delivered there or left in our room as a surprise? There are only 4 of us so we do not need anything big but I do want something to represent Disney. Any suggestions? TIA

To the best of my knowledge, no you cannot have one delivered to Pop. I have read some folks buying something at the Boardwalk bakery and picking it up. Or you could have a basket delivered for her??

They used to have pre-made cakes for sale in the food court at POP. I haven't heard anyone say they got one lately, but they probably still do have them. We got one a couple of years ago and it was good. Here's a photo:

If you get the Anniversary Cake from GF, is it only a 6 in? Do they let you pick the fillings? What other options do I have for only 2 people? We will only be there 1 and 1/2 more days after we get this, so will not have alot of extra time to eat it. Post pictures if you have any. Thanks.

They used to have pre-made cakes for sale in the food court at POP. I haven't heard anyone say they got one lately, but they probably still do have them. We got one a couple of years ago and it was good. Here's a photo:

They had these in the POP food court when we stayed there for marathon weekend in January. DH wanted to buy one just to eat it, not because it was anyones bday!

We would like to order a cake at chef Mickey to celebrate my DD first time at WDW. (she's 2 1/2)
How do we go about doing this and also... I've seen some pictures on here but wondering what cakes we can order from Chef Mickey's

I ordered a cake from Pop last year. Delivery wasn't an option. I picked it up in the food court while DS and DH were at the pool. Then I set it up in the room and joined them at the pool so it would be a surprise.

I ordered a cake from Pop last year. Delivery wasn't an option. I picked it up in the food court while DS and DH were at the pool. Then I set it up in the room and joined them at the pool so it would be a surprise.

What type of cake and do you have any pics? Did you just call POP?

What type of cake and do you have any pics? Did you just call POP?

I called, and called and called (and called again) and NO ONE called back. I used the cake hotline. My TA finally handled it. The only options she was given for a 6" cake was white or chocolate. We chose white with white icing. I will see if I still have the picture in photobucket. I have posted it on the thread a couple of times (not sure if you can search the thread by my user name or not...)

IMG_1646.jpg

We ordered this from Pop in May. I brought the candle with from home. I am not sure of the cost since my TA arranged it for me (I had a HORRIBLE time getting someone from Pop to call me back) It was a white cake with vanilla frosting and it was really good. I had to go to the food court to pick it up.

HTH!

It took some searching but I found your post. Thanks!!

I've skimmed these posts all evening. I had hoped to order something special for our anniversary trip in the fall. Now, after reading, I'm gonna just say no.

1.There seems to be no guarantee that you will get what you are promised.
2.Most phone reps don't know what they are doing
3. If they do know what they are doing, 90% of the time they refuse to go off of their cue cards for something special.

Why, with Celebrations, can't Disney get this right? I work at a bakery. Day after day, with 24 hour notice, the ladies whip out specialized cakes for our customers. It's called talent and effort people! You can't tell me that Disney can't find the talent to keep up with demand.

Sigh...it is frustrating. I hoped for something special but I have to say that I'm just not willing to chance it after reading these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter