Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

That would be a disaster for us as my husband works in retail and thus would lose his ability to maintain his legacy status. The weekend of Wine & Dine is generally the last weekend he's allowed to take off until Marathon Weekend. We'll see what happens and adjust accordingly.

I grew up in Florida so I'm used to our heat. My husband also easily adjusted despite being from New England. I just would never recommend running if you aren't adjusted for it as heat stroke is real.
So agree! I forgot to mention I have your avitar on a t-shirt from Karen that I got from tee fury a few years ago.

That would be a disaster for us as my husband works in retail and thus would lose his ability to maintain his legacy status. The weekend of Wine & Dine is generally the last weekend he's allowed to take off until Marathon Weekend. We'll see what happens and adjust accordingly.

I grew up in Florida so I'm used to our heat. My husband also easily adjusted despite being from New England. I just would never recommend running if you aren't adjusted for it as heat stroke is real.

I"m in georgia so mostly used to the heat becuse we also have brutal summers however when I got to WDW in January and hit lots of humidity it can still be a bit rough since I'm not used to humidity at that time of the year. Oct for ToT wasn't a big deal since I was still used to himidity at that point (well until I finished the race and then went right to an air conditioned ride. Got a little quesy but luckily that was it - needed to let my body cool down a bit more before walking into a ride)

The ticking clock on the DVC reservation was making me too nervous. I was able to call up today and cancel, getting my points put back into the use year borrowed from.

Hope lives eternal, however, so I booked a cash room for the dates. If the race does go as scheduled, I'll rebook a DVC reservation.

Here is my current speculation. Disney is closing things in stages probbaly not to overwhel call centers and the like. They waited will the parks closed to announce resorts and disney spring closing. next up will be the extension of the park closing (they put NO end date on resorts being closed) and I'm expexcting that after they close the hotels,

So right now I'm thinking friday nigh/saturday morning we get word that parks are staying closed longer and with that the race cancellation. Even if they just do a 2 week extension till April 14th, I don't think they would want to deal with a race on "reopening weekend" since they probably wouldn't have the manpower to deal with reopening and a race.

Here is my current speculation. Disney is closing things in stages probbaly not to overwhel call centers and the like. They waited will the parks closed to announce resorts and disney spring closing. next up will be the extension of the park closing (they put NO end date on resorts being closed) and I'm expexcting that after they close the hotels,

So right now I'm thinking friday nigh/saturday morning we get word that parks are staying closed longer and with that the race cancellation. Even if they just do a 2 week extension till April 14th, I don't think they would want to deal with a race on "reopening weekend" since they probably wouldn't have the manpower to deal with reopening and a race.
I totally agree with you about the stages not to overwhelm, but with the CDC saying 8 weeks for 50 people gatherings, I think it will be closed until at least May 10th. If i listen to my sister who is a doctor and following all the doctor FB groups, it's going to be longer than that.

Add me to the group who hopes they don't try to push the race. I was part of the Light side debacle where they held our money for over a year (or something like that) until FINALLY reimbursing. I hope they pull off the bandaid and just reimburse right away.

I totally agree with you about the stages not to overwhelm, but with the CDC saying 8 weeks for 50 people gatherings, I think it will be closed until at least May 10th. If i listen to my sister who is a doctor and following all the doctor FB groups, it's going to be longer than that.

Add me to the group who hopes they don't try to push the race. I was part of the Light side debacle where they held our money for over a year (or something like that) until FINALLY reimbursing. I hope they pull off the bandaid and just reimburse right away.

I agree that mid-may is the most likely re-opening date. My only point was even if the announcement is just 2 more weeks which would have parks open during the race that they still would cancel the races at that point because logisstially re-opening parks and having a race at the same time is too much. I do think the next annoucncemet will just be for "2 more weeks" again to keep call volume low. We'll see. Compeltely uncharted territory.

Today was my 32-day mark for my DVC ressie, and I decided to cancel given the new CDC guidance about avoiding groups of over 50 for 8 weeks. I was able to cancel online, and the points went back into my 2020 use year which just started. I'm holding off cancelling my air since I know the airlines are overwhelmed right now and there is still time. Plus, that way if the race somehow happens, I'll just need to scramble to book another DVC ressie or find some alternative. Since I'm 99.99% expecting the race to be cancelled (or at least postponed), it doesn't seem worth the effort to make a cash ressie as a back-up. (Or maybe I am just too weary from dealing with all of other travel changes I am making.)

American just emailed me to notify me that my flights have been changed: I'm assuming they're canceling some flights and consolidating passengers onto the remaining ones. I haven't moved the plane tickets yet (though I do have an end-of-May trip I haven't booked yet so that's where I'll move them) so I got that email. Interesting. I'm just waiting for the official word now because there's just no way this thing happens. :(

You know, I really like how a local half that I'm signed up for the weekend after Star wars has handled these uncertain times.

They sent out an e-mail today saying they'd announce the Go/No Go decision April 1st, outlined their plan if the race was a No Go (send medal and shirts out to everyone), and outlined the reimbursement options that would be offered to runners in the event of cancellation (either virtual or deferment to next year).

A part of me feels like forwarding it to rundisney to show them what 'A' student work looks like.

like Ive said before a local 5K run the SAME weekend as SW has been moved to May.... Im sure that/the local Im doing the same weekend in May will end up being canceled/delayed too

I have so many Disney plans up in the air, I wish they would just call this one so we can move on and replan our next trip. I just can't see how they can move forward with this given the current climate and directives. It would be irresponsible and bad PR. I hope they do the right thing sooner rather than later so everyone can adjust their plans accordingly.

I have so many Disney plans up in the air, I wish they would just call this one so we can move on and replan our next trip. I just can't see how they can move forward with this given the current climate and directives. It would be irresponsible and bad PR. I hope they do the right thing sooner rather than later so everyone can adjust their plans accordingly.

I don’t know in what universe they hold this race, so I would plan as if it was already cancelled. I wouldn’t try to plan anything in the near future either as things are still too uncertain. I am still kind of shocked at how many here still think there is a hope even though they haven’t announced it is officially cancelled.

We cancelled our DVC and will sort out points when member services isn’t bombarded. Will of course cancel the airline, but they are getting hammered so will wait to try that call. The only thing is the race itself and I am sure they will come up with a plan that gives us options but it won’t be to run this race at Disney this year.

We're down to gatherings of 10 people and while I don't expect that to last for a long time, I think it may step back up a bit at a time. I certainly don't think gatherings of thousands will be happening for a while. It is time for them to let us know what they are doing.

I have already canceled our room and all of the purchases (dinner, drink package, etc.) I made for the cruise that we were planning before the SW weekend. Now we wait for Royal Caribbean and Disney to announce their decisions.

I don’t know in what universe they hold this race, so I would plan as if it was already cancelled. I wouldn’t try to plan anything in the near future either as things are still too uncertain. I am still kind of shocked at how many here still think there is a hope even though they haven’t announced it is officially cancelled.

We cancelled our DVC and will sort out points when member services isn’t bombarded. Will of course cancel the airline, but they are getting hammered so will wait to try that call. The only thing is the race itself and I am sure they will come up with a plan that gives us options but it won’t be to run this race at Disney this year.

In a galaxy far far away.

I hit my 31 day dvc mark yesterday but decided to keep my reservation. While I don't think this trip will be happening I didn't want to be stuck with not having something and losing fp in the very very very unlikely chance they open again. My use year ends Feb 1 so I would have plenty of time to use the points again, hopefully for a reschedule. The only downside is that I borrowed points for a June trip too (since I felt bad about an adult only trip for the race) so now I don't have a lot for next year. If I had cancelled before 31 days I could have banked them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter