• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Ok I'm officially excited! Doing my first rundisney race with the 5k. Really wanted to try a 10k but it was already filled. Going solo for 2 days before my husband is bringing the kids. Does anyone do any meet ups at the expo or anything? I'm so nervous about doing this on my own. Running my first 5k next Sunday to get a good starting pace and work on getting my time better
Fyi, check with Acclaim because a couple of days ago they had 10k bibs available

I walked the Tinkerbell Half this past May. DH was recovering from an injury. We also started in the last corral since we signed up a month before the race through a charity. We tried to line up in the first third of the corral. We didn't stop for pictures and was able to finish the half without ever seeing the balloon ladies. So it's possible to walk the race without being swept. I would suggest having a few practice walks to figure out the best pace/stride for you. I didn't realize my legs would be so sore after walking (especially my shins). I think it's because you use different muscles when you walk versus when you run. Since I didn't train to walk long distances, the muscles used to walk were quite sore.

Awesome, this eases my stress a little. Thanks!!!

Ok I'm officially excited! Doing my first rundisney race with the 5k. Really wanted to try a 10k but it was already filled. Going solo for 2 days before my husband is bringing the kids. Does anyone do any meet ups at the expo or anything? I'm so nervous about doing this on my own. Running my first 5k next Sunday to get a good starting pace and work on getting my time better
I'm going solo too! I am almost done with Couch to 5k and I'm running my first 5k race at the beginning of November.
*long distance high-five!*

I just checked today, and I'm kind of amazed to see that there are still Half Marathon and 5k spots available. I really was hoping this would sell out so it becomes an every year "thing". Hopefully it sticks around.

I just checked today, and I'm kind of amazed to see that there are still Half Marathon and 5k spots available. I really was hoping this would sell out so it becomes an every year "thing". Hopefully it sticks around.

It does seem odd to me that the Challenge fills up in minutes, but the half marathon is still open three weeks later. I would think that folks that didn't get into the Challenge would just register for the half, but I guess I'm wrong.

That being said, for the WDW marathon, there are still spots open. Not many now, but even a few months ago, there were quite a few. I imagine that the Star Wars half may be similar, and it may be full (or close to it) once we get closer.

I'm going solo too! I am almost done with Couch to 5k and I'm running my first 5k race at the beginning of November.
*long distance high-five!*

Awesome! I just did the first day of the c25k today and realized that's what I have been doing on my own . Good luck! Let me know how you do. This race is just over 5k at 3.5 miles so I figure if I train for that the Star Wars 5k should be easy

It does seem odd to me that the Challenge fills up in minutes, but the half marathon is still open three weeks later. I would think that folks that didn't get into the Challenge would just register for the half, but I guess I'm wrong.

That being said, for the WDW marathon, there are still spots open. Not many now, but even a few months ago, there were quite a few. I imagine that the Star Wars half may be similar, and it may be full (or close to it) once we get closer.
You don't know us Bling runners, do you? Why would you sign up for 1 race and get one medal when you can sign up for 2 races and get 3 medals!!!! Come on people, get with the program. ;)

Question for the group: For the kids 1 mile run, is it possible to pick up his bib Saturday morning before the race, or does it need to be the day before? Trying to find this information so we can decide when to fly in, early Friday or late Friday. Thanks.

Group Italian Dinner for Folks going Solo?

Since ADRs just opened for the Star Wars Dark Side weekend...

For the other runners traveling by themselves, is there any interest in getting a group reservation together for an Italian dinner on Saturday? We could stay out of the parks by going to either Portobello Country Italian Trattoria (Disney Springs) or Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk) and keep it somewhat early. I was thinking about 5:00pm but am flexible. If there is enough interest, I would be happy to call the restaurants to check if we can get a big table reservation.

This will be my first runDisney event and my first trip to WDW without the family, and I thought a group dinner may be more enjoyable than eating by myself. Just a thought.

Oh thanks for the reminder that I need to figure out my meals for this trip! I haven't even given it a thought but at least we are staying at VGF so we'll have some good options around the hotel to pick from.

I'd be interested but maybe an hour or two earlier - I plan on going to sleep around 7pm that night.

Hi everyone - joining the conversation. I'm signed up for the Dark Side Challenge - I did the Rebel Challenge at Disneyland earlier this year, and iy was by far my favorite race EVER! I really wish I had known about the new race earlier this year, as I would have signed up it again to get the extra medal.

Anyway, I actually need to start doing a lot less running, so I am trying to PR the half so I can make this my last run. Any runners in the St. Petersburg area looking for a training buddy?

For the other runners traveling by themselves, is there any interest in getting a group reservation together for an Italian dinner on Saturday? We could stay out of the parks by going to either Portobello Country Italian Trattoria (Disney Springs) or Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk) and keep it somewhat early. I was thinking about 5:00pm but am flexible. If there is enough interest, I would be happy to call the restaurants to check if we can get a big table reservation.

This will be my first runDisney event and my first trip to WDW without the family, and I thought a group dinner may be more enjoyable than eating by myself. Just a thought.

I would be interested too. I'm going to be on my own.

Okay, I will just continue to edit this post such that I don't have a new post every time. Then, in a couple of days, I will call to make the reservation once we see how many runners we have:

Here is the list so far:
@opusone
@Z-Knight
@HockeyMomNH
@CynthiaC925

Last edited:
We have to wait until Saturday because of DD. DH and I may have to go to the marathon on Thursday since we saw the original in 1977.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter