Northerners, how do you pack for a Disney vacation in the winter?

MaC410

DIS Veteran
Just wondering how people who are used to actual cold temperatures pack for a winter vacation at Disney World. How do you dress/plan for a long day at a park where the temperature may be in the 70/80s during the day but go down to the 50/60s at night?

Last edited:
When I went this last December, I took a couple pairs of shorts, a couple pairs of leggings, and wore my jeans on the plane. I wore my hoodie on the plane and left the heavy winter coat in my truck. I took a long sleeved t-shirt and ended up buying a couple long sleeved holiday t-shirts as well. During the day, I wore shorts and a t-shirt and put the hoodie and a pair of leggings in my backpack which I always carry anyway. It worked out great for me.

70s/80s=shorts. 50s/60s at night=light pants, shirt (long or short sleeves) & a jacket. I would also pack one "Northerner" outfit for the plane ride home - long sleeve shirt, pants, jacket. Winter coats will be waiting in the car at the airport.

I usually layer, although I've never worn shorts at Disney in January (warmest it's gotten for me is 72). I wear a short sleeve shirt and sweatshirt or jacket to the parks and then take the outer layer off if I'm too warm. I wear the jacket over the sweatshirt into and out of the airport...both layers together is sufficient for me to get to/from the car.

It really depends on each trip, but I am under 2 weeks now so the weather is evening out and it looks like it will work great with the way I plan to pack this time. I am taking mostly leggings since they are light enough not to be too hot, but cover skin for any breeze. I will pack 1-2 pair of shorts or skirts in case of any unusually hot weather. I am also packing 2 pair of pants that are slightly heavier than the leggings. I will mostly take short sleeve tops with 1-2 longer sleeve that are light weight. I will pack 1-2 zip up hoodies and 2-3 sweaters.

I always check the FL weather before finalizing packing. I was there at this time last January and we ended up wearing fleeces, jeans and scarves. It was chilly, even for us. But other January trips have been shorts and tshirts, with maybe a sweatshirt in the morning and evening.

I acclimate quickly to the Florida climate and find I get chilly there at higher temps than I would in northern Michigan. I was there for the "Florida Winter" a week or so ago, and ended up buying a winter hat at HS. It had been rainy all day and was a very damp cold - the worst!

So what did I pack? 1 pair of jeans, a pair of capris, a few short sleeved t-shirts, a long sleeved t, a hoodie, a cardigan, a couple sun dresses I never had the opportunity to wear, a bathing suit I also didn't use, sneakers, sandals, and the coat and gloves I came down with. I pack light, but I do laundry while I'm down there.

I bring an ultralight down jacket from Uniqlo into the parks because it compresses really small and fits into my crossbody bag. I don't usually go back to the hotel mid-day, so this lets me bring a warm layer for nighttime. Even if I'm wearing shorts/dress/SS t-shirt underneath, it keeps me warm while waiting for nighttime shows to start :-)

Following...we leave in 11 days and I have no clue what to pack! Right now the first few days of our trip are showing up on the long range forecast and it says low 60s. I would be fine with jeans & tshirts weather but my poor kiddo wants to swim!

Layers for sure and don't forget a bathing suit. I know it sounds crazy but swimming in a luscious, warm pool is fabulous on a cool evening.

One of my favorite strategies when travelling is to bring old clothes and throw them out when I get there. I wear pants and an old sweatshirt or sweater on the plane. I put a pair of shorts in my carry on. As soon is I get off the plane I change into the shorts and throw the pants and sweater in the garbage.

One of my favorite strategies when travelling is to bring old clothes and throw them out when I get there. I wear pants and an old sweatshirt or sweater on the plane. I put a pair of shorts in my carry on. As soon is I get off the plane I change into the shorts and throw the pants and sweater in the garbage.

This is an excellent way to make sure your luggage is empty enough for all the stuff you buy in the gift shops! :)

Keep in mind that 50/60 degrees feels different in Florida than it does in other parts of the country. Due to the humidity it feels "colder" at those temperatures there, so while I may walk around outside in a t-shirt and shorts at 60 degrees, in Disney I would probably wear a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt or jacket over my t-shirt!

If you've tossed your cold weather traveling clothes, what do you wear on the trip home?

I'm from MN and I wore shorts basically every day in Disney in December. One day I changed into jeans before we went back to the park in the evening, knowing we'd be there until really late and it was a slightly chilly day. Another day I wore a light zip up shirt in the morning but by early afternoon I was down to tank top and shorts. We got there at 7 am that day and it was still dark, so that's probably why it was chilly still in the morning.

I did have an older woman on the bus tease me (light heartedly) saying she could tell I wasn't from Florida because I "wasn't dressed appropriately". She was from Fort Lauderdale, lol. I felt great though! ;)

Reactions: TAK
I'm heading there next week from Maine, I'm packing a little of everything - capris, tshirts, sweaters, jeans and a fleece jacket. I figure I'll be prepared.

We haven't done Jan., but have done Feb. We pretty much did shorts and tees with sweatshirts in the morning (which we could take off when it warmed up) and then capris (for the girls) with same at night. My son still went swimming when it was 62 degrees out! He likes to point out that the pools are always heated, so only his head was cold, haha!

Just wondering how people who are used to actual cold temperatures pack for a winter vacation at Disney World. How do you dress/plan for a long day at a park where the temperature may be in the 70/80s during the day but go down to the 50/60s at night?
If they are true northerners, as I was for many, many years, 50/60s are still warm enough to not require anything special. We do bring a small amount of cold weather stuff with us, because we leave home in cold weather. Once we get to Florida, most of that goes out the window and summer gear is our friend. We might bring a light weight jacket just in case the temps. drop into the 40's or even a morning frost, but, it is just temporary.

I have gone up to the Monorail station in the morning wearing a T-shirt and shorts only to be greeted by CM in Parka's, Knit hats and mittens. I didn't feel cold at all, but, they were freezing even with the parka's on. Now that I live in the south, I am more sensitive to the weather and although mid 50's and above would not be an issue, anything lower would probably constitute a windbreaker at the very least. Just today I was out playing golf with shorts and a polo. Took my jacket just in case, but, never needed it. Once the clouds cleared up, it felt quite warm. Before it was just comfortable at 62 degrees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!