Nick Hotel Review or the Mold among us...

Ali

Resorts are my favorite part of the vacation
Just back so I will be brief. Bring X-14 mold killer if you go to the hotel. BLACK MOLD, RED mold, Green mold all in the bathroom and in the kitchenette area. Floors always damp, AC set to 50 to keep it from growing I guess.

We were in room 555 the first night, didn't get there until 3 pm, waited in line to check in for an hour, and I started sneezing within 5 minutes of arrival but we were busy and didn't notice how bad the mold was in the bathroom. When we got back at 12:30 and saw how bad it was I called guest services but no one answered and we were exhausted so I gave up.

The next morning I asked for an air cleaner to help with my allergies but was told tht they didn't have anything to do that but I could change rooms when one was cleaned.

So we changed to room 1449 for the second night. Again, we were rushed and were on our way out the door for the sliming (cool) the show (good) and then Epcot for Dinner. Got back at 12:00 and saw the mold again. And the toilet was leaking all over the floor leaving and the handle was broken. BAD BLACK MOLD behind the toilet. Worse that the first room, and by now I can't stop sneezing and sniffling. But my son was in need of sleep so I just made do since it was late and no one again answered the call to guest services.

Next morning my son's nose was bleeding. He takes 5 different meds for allergies and asthma and that was the last straw for me. I walked to the front desk at 10 am and asked for a manager. The manager was quick to empathize and find me a room and he asked me if I wanted to go look at it first to make sure it was ok. We went to room 1320 for the last night and this room was clean, mold free except in the tile grout in the shower.

Discovered that pressing 0 will get to the front desk at night because we needed the toilet fixed the last night.

All in all, check the bathroom and see if there is mold. Odd rooms face the parking lots and 1-4, even numbered rooms generally face the pools. Food court is massively busy at 6 pm - wait for food was excessively long. And worst of all, the pool was cool looking but so COLD my husband wouldn't go in at all, and I walked in to my thighs. Ms son was hapy in the slides but was frigid when we got him out. No more heat for the water since it is summer and it was cloudy all weekend so the water didn't get heated. Oh and don't expect to have anywhere to put your things while swimming, all the chairs are taken up with personal effects by 8 am, and the lifeguards do go around and move wet towels of chais so new guests can have a place to be, but we just found 1 chair and walked it around with us.

Sponge Bob, Patrick, and Squidward are in the Mall area daily for pictures if you don't wat to buy the character breakfast. Oh, and if you decide to let the kids go to the Dora, Blue's clues, or Spongebob $35 party a break for yourself for an hour, think again. They all require adult supervision and a fee of $15 per adult attending.

This was an experience my son was looking forward too, and we made sure he had a god time. He didn't ever suspect how upset I was with the rooms and we made it into an adventure for him bymaking a game out of which characters would be on the walls... He had a wonderful time and already wants to go back. I won't stay there again, however.

Wow, sorry you had such a bad experience. I have stayed there 2x for a week each and never had a problem with that. It would have bothered me and my allergies as well as one of my DS too. That is a bummer. The manager should have done more for you. It stinks to keep moving rooms with kids in tow. They should send you an online survey soon. Be sure to fill it out, they usually will respond.

wow Im so sorry about the mold. yikes! I do agree on the water temps. we went last July and it was too cold for dh and I. the kids enjoyed it except for the water that fell from the bucket every so often.. I had hoped to have warmer water when we go in a few weeks..

We went when it first opened and didn't have any of these problems.
The kids loved it and still talk about going back one day.
One of the things I have noticed about people reviewing this hotel is that even when the parents give it a bad review usually the kids still love it.

Sorry about the mold. We stayed there for one night last year. My DS was asking everytime he saw the commercial if we could go.

What a nightmare - The pool must have closed down 3 times for 45 minutes or more, because someones child had an "accident" in the pool. My DS was so upset. Granted it should be the parents watching their kids.

We stayed there one year when it was the HIFS - the rooms did seem cleaner then.

:confused:

We were there last week and no heat in the pool. It was too cold to swim in the pool for DH and myself. The kids enjoyed it but were cold when they got out. If you complain they do not care. No mold in our room but we did find a roach. Housekeeping was bad, no wash clothes and we had to ask for coffee.

DS age 8 got slimed so I guess the trip was priceless. It is all for the kids correct????

I am starting to get worried about staying here. I have reservations for us June 12-14. We stayed here last year and the year before without any problems, but I am getting nervous. I am paying a lot for the room, and I know the kids LOVE it, but I just hope that everything else goes okay. I know that last year kids 10 and under ate free and now this year they have to pay, but I still wanted to take my kids. I wonder if I should cancel?

I can't say how it is now but like I said we went when it first opened
and the kids had a ball. We didn't have any of these problems although we went in the middle of the summer so the water temp wouldn't be an issue.
Like I said it seems kids really love this hotel even when the parents aren't always so thrilled. It was definetly a good alternative for us becasuse for a family of five the choices for onsite hotels at disney are more limited.

As the OP, I've really appreciated the responses. If I could have found a room where I wasn't sneezing and if the pool were heated enough to go in it I would have to say that this place is ideal for families who want to not sleep all together. This is the first time ever my DH and I had a bed to ourselves, not to mention a whole bedroom. We each had a TV to watch so I could watch the food network while Dh had on ESPN and DS had on Noggin or Nick GAS (his favorite channel in the world). I could cook my egg whites and pita bread breakfasts in the mocrowave in the room and we could have pizza and cheese fries every day for dinner if we wanted without going anywhere. It is a great concept. It just needs to be cleaned, heated, and cared for.

I wouldn't cancel a vacation because the kids will love it no matter what. Adults will live with it if their kids are happy. I really wanted to love it. Getting slimed was great! I have wanted to do that since I first watched Nickelodeon as a kid and watched the show "You can't do that on Television" which was the original slime show!

We will be there June 20-23. We were going for four nights then after reading the reviews I dropped to 2 nights. Believe me- I wanted to cancel altogther but DS10 is so looking forward to it I didn't have the heart. I will check out the room before settling and make the best of it. Does anyone know the price of the character breakfast? TIA

I'd take my kids for 2 nites. The 1st two. and go a Mon/Tues or Weds/Th
The novelty wears off.

It stunk. The poop in pool all day, the crowds, the cheesiness and dingy rooms were terrible but kids liked the sliming, shows and character meets.

I'd do two days then stay at nice hotel

I will say also when we were there and the pool was closed 3 times for "poop in the pool" that was probably within a 3 hour time frame.

We just got there and my DS got in the pool for maybe 10 min. the pool closed for 45 min. it reopened to be closed about 15 min later.

It was just so frustrating - I agree do 2 nights that will be plenty!

we can handle one night or so we say :lmao: we swore we wouldnt go back again but here we are going for another short trip for a 2day/1 night visit for the kids. They so want to get slimed this year.

Well, I canceled Nick Hotel. I was just so grossed out by the reviews here and on trip advisor. I was really doing some heavy reading on the place! I explained this to DS10 and he was ok with it. I was able to get a few nights in a studio at Saratoga Springs on my points so now we will split SSR with BWV for the week on our points. I hope things improve at Nick Hotel and maybe a future visit will be planned for us.

We are going to Nick Hotel tomorrow. This is our third time going. We have never had a bad experience yet. But... I will let everyone know how it is when we get back.

We have reservations for the 20th and 21th. Do children under the age of 3 need to be counted in the number of people per room?

Wow!! I'm amazed that almost 2 years later they still don't have their stuff together at this place!!

We stayed at Nick Hotel after Thanksgiving 2005. It was myself, DW, DS11, DD10 and DD2. The amenities were nice enough but the people and the rooms were terrible. None of our TV's worked when we checked in and the AC was set so low that the room was an ice box. We called the front desk and informed them of it and went to the pool assuming things would be fixed when we returned. We came back to the room before heading to MVMCP and still nothing had been done. I also noticed that the room was just as cold even though I turned the AC off. Another call to the front desk before leaving and received a rude response that someone will get there when they have the time. We came back late that evening and only 1 of the 3 TV's had been fixed and nothing had been done with the AC. The room was still freezing and the AC was still blowing even though the thermostat was set higher. Called the front desk the next morning and was told the other TV's were being looked at that day as well as the AC. A note would have been nice but I figured as long as they were going to fix it today it would be all good. Well later that day the AC was turned off, now the room was getting hot and no way to reduce the heat and only 1 of the other TV's were working.

We were getting close to our appointment time for our pictures so we rushed off after quick showers only to spend an hour waiting without the photographer showing up. We asked someone to help us and they "paged" her but she never showed up. We went to dinner and back to the room. Call again because AC not fixed and no TV in the kids room. I was basically told that nothing would be done but we could switch rooms. That night was our last night so I just told them to never mind.

That night I hear gurgling coming from the bathroom that woke me up in the middle of the night. I didn't pay any attention to it until the morning. We were leaving for our flight home early and when I went to take a shower the tub was filled with what looked like raw sewage! :eek: Needless to say it didn't smell very good either. I called the front desk again and informed them of it and never even received an apology!

Thanking God that our stay at Nick's Hotel of Horror was over we packed up and left. I called and wrote a letter after we returned home only to receive a letter saying that they were sorry for the "inconvienience" and that they were offering us 10% off our next stay at Nick's Hotel of Horror within the next 10 months!! Yeah, like we travel to FLA every 6 months or so and would be staying there again even if we did.

Also, after I returned a contractor we had working for us told me his family stayed there just months before and his kids woke up itcing terribly the first night they stayed there. After getting home and taking the kids to the dr's for what they thought was a rash they found out the kids got some sort of parasite from the bed linens at the Nick Hotel. He contacted the FLA department of health and was told they already had recieved numerous complaints and had been looking into the problem.

Some of the things were fun there but not worth the problems!! I will never return to the Nick Hotel of Horror and would strongly suggest everyone else steer clear!

well we are going on Monday for our annual trip with the kids. Its a short one but they love it. I just hope and pray for a clean room and no rain... ;) I'll let you know on our return..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter