News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't actually have a working robot for the shooting of the movie. I think they had some guy pushing a ball around, seriously:confused3 However, they had the real, life-size one that debuted at Celebration in May. So, I am pretty sure the robot came first, and then the toy company. Or maybe it was the chicken and then egg:rotfl2:

The version in the movie is essentially a remote controlled puppet with some CGI enhancements.

The company releasing the $150 toy are called Sphero and they did receive investment from Disney's Accelerator program and mentorship from Iger ( http://www.cnbc.com/2014/10/15/disney-ceo-bob-igers-big-bet-on-start-ups.html ). This could theoretically create a conflict of interest but there are ways in large companies to handle such situations in an above board manner.

Both mentorships and accelerator programs are quite common in the tech industry. I would expect the documentation for any negotiations resulting in issuing the license to a company they invested in to be very thorough because Disney will not wish to be sued or investigated. They were very public in their relationship.

Spher-o sold its entire product line online within minutes and in stores within hours...

So the reality is they made the maximum amount of money according to plan.

I'm not sure anything really matters at this point beyond that?

To each their own...

The release of a new Star Wars...including merchandise...is the biggest news for TWDC this year... And it's not debatable.

What else is going on? Food and wine festival? Same as always.
Halloween and Christmas parties? Same
Dessert parties? Same.

Nothing qualifying as news. Just have a major credit card ready.

Disney springs will yield more actual news as the the year turns...as will animal kingdom. Sit tight. Perhaps the "urgency" to do something at MGM will get a well placed kick in the rear?

We'll see

The version in the movie is essentially a remote controlled puppet with some CGI enhancements.

The company releasing the $150 toy are called Sphero and they did receive investment from Disney's Accelerator program and mentorship from Iger ( http://www.cnbc.com/2014/10/15/disney-ceo-bob-igers-big-bet-on-start-ups.html ). This could theoretically create a conflict of interest but there are ways in large companies to handle such situations in an above board manner.

Both mentorships and accelerator programs are quite common in the tech industry. I would expect the documentation for any negotiations resulting in issuing the license to a company they invested in to be very thorough because Disney will not wish to be sued or investigated. They were very public in their relationship.

I was joking. I understand how the tech industry works. I have been in it for over 20 years. I am an electrical engineer. I have also known about Sphero since March or April.

I was joking. I understand how the tech industry works. I have been in it for over 20 years. I am an electrical engineer. I have also known about Sphero since March or April.

Okay... but you were not the only one in the discussion and people seemed confused on some of the specifics.

Forgot to mention earlier. With the stage at DHS coming down that only means the crane at MK will go up.

(It is I've seen pictures of it already sitting behind the castle waiting to get started)

Forgot to mention earlier. With the stage at DHS coming down that only means the crane at MK will go up.

(It is I've seen pictures of it already sitting behind the castle waiting to get started)

Where do these pictures show it at? It's possible I'm just highly unobservant, but there wasn't a crane anywhere near the castle yesterday (at least not withing photo range)

Where do these pictures show it at? It's possible I'm just highly unobservant, but there wasn't a crane anywhere near the castle yesterday (at least not withing photo range)

I saw it behind the castle today. (It is on the right side when looking from the front, where the wishing well is.)

IMG_20150907_101149.jpg IMG_20150907_101203.jpg IMG_20150907_101206.jpg

Looks like the second pool at the Polynesian is taking shape. Literally. They seem to have the form in the ground for the pool and hot tub. This resort needs it. Love our stay here, but the main pool is too small and way too crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter