News Round Up 2016

There must be a magic number of visits, where the magic fades.

Actually, I wonder if its less about the number of visits and more about how the parks have been feeling (performing?) lately. Crowds are high and quality seems low. My last few trips weren't nearly as magical as the ones I took in the 90's. I couldn't get enough in the 90's. We went as often as we could afford.

However, I'm sure there's some personal tolerance built into the equation too... I've been getting the itch lately.
Its been almost 2 years since my last visit so hopefully somethings have gotten better.

News

Well @lockedoutlogic here you go China and Paris are finally hitting the US parks but not incredibly hard yet.

As we have already seen a good amount of reductions or cuts have been happening at the parks over the past week or so. Evidently this is due to cost overruns in China and costs in Paris.

Continuing with cuts we will see reduction in operating hours at all levels including park hours to attractions, restaurants and shops.

CMs are being reduced wherever is possible and when they leave they aren't being replaced.

Overtime is being stopped wherever possible.

Things are just getting started and will continue until at least summer if not longer.

Go Disney!

As hopes of my 7AM EMH at MK in March are fading:(, I have been thinking about this. I don't doubt that they are trying to cut, or at least maintain, costs. However, I wonder if part of the Epcot shorter hours is due to increased hours at AK soon for ROL. Most of the shorter hours at Epcot are for less popular rides. With Soarin' down, Epcot crowds may also be down. Maybe as soon as April, AK will be adding about 3 hours onto its day. I am trying to find the silver lining in this:rolleyes2 I, honestly, haven't felt crowds were bad, and we went the 2nd-3rd week in March last year, so Spring Break, 7-9 TP crowd level. However, I don't want it to get to a point that I do think the crowds are bad, because then they will be really bad, like xmas bad:oops:

If that's the definition of insanity...most people would dream to be insane
No one said anything about insanity. They just considered as suspect the content of these writings, which Madison never desired to be made public, because much of the content was in direct opposition to his passionately held life-long beliefs. Have you ever read "Detached Memoranda" or are you just guessing at their content?

New cast announced for Star Wars Episode VIII:

"Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director). "

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming

As hopes of my 7AM EMH at MK in March are fading:(, I have been thinking about this. I don't doubt that they are trying to cut, or at least maintain, costs. However, I wonder if part of the Epcot shorter hours is due to increased hours at AK soon for ROL. Most of the shorter hours at Epcot are for less popular rides. With Soarin' down, Epcot crowds may also be down. Maybe as soon as April, AK will be adding about 3 hours onto its day. I am trying to find the silver lining in this:rolleyes2 I, honestly, haven't felt crowds were bad, and we went the 2nd-3rd week in March last year, so Spring Break, 7-9 TP crowd level. However, I don't want it to get to a point that I do think the crowds are bad, because then they will be really bad, like xmas bad:oops:
You will have a substantial jump in labor, but not necessarily a substantial jump in revenue, just a change of revenue center. Makes sense to shift the labor to where it is needed.

You will have a substantial jump in labor, but not necessarily a substantial jump in revenue, just a change of revenue center. Makes sense to shift the labor to where it is needed.

I am hoping that's the case, but I fear it might be a reduction overall:(

No doubt, there is an attempt at an overall reduction...that is what you do. Also makes sense to have more part time labor, rather than fewer full time, that will put you in overtime situations. Overtime is the bane of any accountants existence.

News

Well @lockedoutlogic here you go China and Paris are finally hitting the US parks but not incredibly hard yet.

As we have already seen a good amount of reductions or cuts have been happening at the parks over the past week or so. Evidently this is due to cost overruns in China and costs in Paris.

Continuing with cuts we will see reduction in operating hours at all levels including park hours to attractions, restaurants and shops.

CMs are being reduced wherever is possible and when they leave they aren't being replaced.

Overtime is being stopped wherever possible.

Things are just getting started and will continue until at least summer if not longer.

Go Disney!

So you've seen stuff that confirms my recent speculations then? Obviously I'm not surprised, but it's rather sad. And in truth unnecessary. Parks and Resorts has sufficient revenue to absorb a lot of these costs. But we must pacify the shareholders...

So you've seen stuff that confirms my recent speculations then? Obviously I'm not surprised, but it's rather sad. And in truth unnecessary. Parks and Resorts has sufficient revenue to absorb a lot of these costs. But we must pacify the shareholders...
One thing that surprises me from this is they would cut things from shops and things like park hours which overall increase their revenue.

I just shut down planning on a trip and I'm not getting annual passes. They don't deserve the business.

Got your slot covered L. Just planned another one for 2 weeks from now because they do deserve the business-almost entirely because of FP+. :thumbsup2

One thing that surprises me from this is they would cut things from shops and things like park hours which overall increase their revenue.

They would increase revenue, but they may not increase profit margin, which is usually very important to accountants.

It costs just as much to staff and run Blizzard beach at 9am as it does at 11am, but it probably only has a tenth the number of people. It's the same reason they often close rides in the MK during their extended hours.

Park hours don't increase revenue.
Gift shops are there whenever you exit.
Food and Bev is the only place that will lose revenue, and are any of those places full when they start to close the park? Some times the operating cost benefits from an early close.

No one said anything about insanity. They just considered as suspect the content of these writings, which Madison never desired to be made public, because much of the content was in direct opposition to his passionately held life-long beliefs. Have you ever read "Detached Memoranda" or are you just guessing at their content?

I have..
Though I'm more a subscriber to the theory presented in the David Holmes study on it.

Basically...it Presents the argument that the founding fathers we're an enlightened cult similar to societies of the day in London or Paris. Not agnostic...but also skeptical of the motives of men that "translate" for unexplainable phenomena.

Makes a good case...since common sense (not Thomas Paine...though he was an admitted deist) seemed to be enough for the Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, franklins of the day. And Washington who - ever reserved -
Played the part.

It makes sense...as there was no need for illusions in those days.

Ok...so when is soarin opening back
Up?

Park hours don't increase revenue.
Gift shops are there whenever you exit.
Food and Bev is the only place that will lose revenue, and are any of those places full when they start to close the park? Some times the operating cost benefits from an early close.

Completely agree...but effective PR relies on ulterior motive claims and illusions.

Got your slot covered L. Just planned another one for 2 weeks from now because they do deserve the business-almost entirely because of FP+. :thumbsup2

Can I ask...did you ever use the originally fastpass?

It wasn't all that different...it's not like the cure for cancer or anything

If you just are messing with me then I'm getting a kick out of it. If it's the standard blind excuses...I do worry about your safety and the general public.

Can I ask...did you ever use the originally fastpass?

It wasn't all that different...it's not like the cure for cancer or anything

If you just are messing with me then I'm getting a kick out of it. If it's the standard blind excuses...I do worry about your safety and the general public.

HaHa thanks.

It's completely different in obtaining them.

You have heard my FP story correct?

Read this 2004 thread: I suggested picking FP before going to the parks a year before the first FP+ patent filing.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wi...d-at-the-front-gate-or-at-other-parks.595792/

We liked FP, just not having to get everyone into the park to get them. That and not knowing if any were left or what times were available.

Even had gotten the family up at BC, walked them into IG, they turned around and went back to bed, I went and got TT FP for everyone before they were all gone for the day. That way we had at least one FP for when we went back that night. And you guessed it-inside IG CM's had no idea what TT was spitting out if any-walk over and look, how dumb is that?

So in 2004 I posted this on the dis:

It would be nice if you could see the FP return times (constantly changing real time) at the other parks, or at the front gate. I could see the front gate as a bad idea for WDW because a potential customer may not enter. Then again it could at least be just INSIDE so you had to ENTER to check the times but at least you wouldnt have to walk all the way to Space Mt only to find it is out (or earlier that you want). As far as the other parks, that would be nice to know you have plenty of time (or not) to get over to EPCOT for TestTrack from MGM for example. Even better would be posted times on your hotel TV-nice incentive for on site guests. Nicer yet would be obtaining them at your hotel-could somebody stop me?

Now I admit cell phones and internet changed everything, making it much better than getting that ahead of time at your hotel-but you get the picture.

Anyway, now we can get up to 3 headliners and do whatever we want all day with no worries, and no hour plus headliner waits when we do arrive at the parks.

Last edited:
Could we end the political/religious talk here? I'd really like you people and I'd like to keep it that way. , This has at times come dangerously close to mocking people's beliefs. Not pointing any fingers.

1. I agree...nice conversation but it's over/time move on
2. Feel free to "not like" me if you're compelled to
3. Academic study of important figures dead 250 years is fascinating and has no hint of "mocking" at all. Nor is it personal. It has absolutely no bearing on anyone that has gone on the disboards.

That I am sure of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter