New Tent?

Lildancer

Earning My Ears
ok...need recommendations for a new tent for car camping. Want it to be easy to put up, reasonably priced, and a 6-8 person tent. Possibly entertaining a cabin tent, but doesn't have to be. Go!

I have this one. It is a Nortwest territory that I got from Kmart a few years ago, (went on there site and didn't see it). Maybe a little big, It is a Bear Mnt. cabin tent, sleeps 10 and is 18x17. We put 2 queen size air mattresses in it an still had plenty of room to walk around. Vacation 2015 004copy1.jpg

It takes me about 15 minutes to set up by myself.

Do you really need a tent for 6-8 people? If so, you should be looking for a tent that sleeps at least 12 people. The recommendations on tents are about half what it is actually comfortable to sleep. You can only fit 6 people in a 6-person tent if you put them on the ground, no air mattresses, and arranged like a game of Tetris.

We have a 12 person tent that is fantastic. It's super roomy, has 3 rooms, each of which will hold a queen size bed with room to walk around it, add a box for a nightstand, suitcase, or in my case, a porti-potty at the foot of my bed.

It's an "instant tent" meaning the poles stay attached to it and it literally goes up and down in a couple of minutes. It's honestly quite amazing. I didn't believe it until we did it ourselves. I know Coleman and Ozark Trail make these instant tents now as well. Our Bushnell is 18' x 11' and has a great "foyer" area outside the door that is covered and has a floor to put a mat. There are shoe holder pockets on both sides of foyer. Or you can use them for Off spray/ flashlights, whatever.

We add waterproofing spray as soon as we got it, as we do with all of our tents, but has held 100% dry during some serious Florida downpours. I didn't have to use any seam sealer because the seams on this tent are doubled over in a way that makes them nearly impossible to leak unless you cut them. Much better even, than taped seams. When we originally purchased, I was skeptical, due to no bathtub floor. However, the style of seaming makes unnecessary.

The rain fly sits about 12" or maybe a bit more, above the top, making for great air flow. Absolutely none of that "muggy" feeling in the mornings that you get with most tents. I always hated that blankets felt damp and needed aired, with our other tents.

This tent is easier set up than our camper, so we take it on weekend trips or when we are going to more rugged places. I've been very happy with it. Bushnell, as well as the other brands mentioned, make smaller versions of instant tents if this is larger than you wanted to have. We paid $300 for it, but now is a bit cheaper but comes as a bundle with 2 queen air mattresses and 4 chairs - a very good deal. Click here.

This first photo is when we timed our first set-up out of the box. I think it was just around 2 minutes ... but that was without the rain fly. DH put all those guy lines out, but they are completely unnecessary, and I was annoyed that he didn't leave them in their perfect little bundles. We have never put them out since.

TaDqAow.jpg

Without rain fly:

kfqP5Bi.jpg

Camping:

jyfq9LK.jpg

Inside - this is one room, has porta potty at foot of bed and space for nightstand with queen sized air mattress.

X0e0pQO.jpg

Whatever you decide to go with - for ease of set-up and break down - I highly recommend an instant tent. Good luck!

Do you really need a tent for 6-8 people? If so, you should be looking for a tent that sleeps at least 12 people. The recommendations on tents are about half what it is actually comfortable to sleep. You can only fit 6 people in a 6-person tent if you put them on the ground, no air mattresses, and arranged like a game of Tetris.

We have a 12 person tent that is fantastic. It's super roomy, has 3 rooms, each of which will hold a queen size bed with room to walk around it, add a box for a nightstand, suitcase, or in my case, a porti-potty at the foot of my bed.

It's an "instant tent" meaning the poles stay attached to it and it literally goes up and down in a couple of minutes. It's honestly quite amazing. I didn't believe it until we did it ourselves. I know Coleman and Ozark Trail make these instant tents now as well. Our Bushnell is 18' x 11' and has a great "foyer" area outside the door that is covered and has a floor to put a mat. There are shoe holder pockets on both sides of foyer. Or you can use them for Off spray/ flashlights, whatever.

We add waterproofing spray as soon as we got it, as we do with all of our tents, but has held 100% dry during some serious Florida downpours. I didn't have to use any seam sealer because the seams on this tent are doubled over in a way that makes them nearly impossible to leak unless you cut them. Much better even, than taped seams. When we originally purchased, I was skeptical, due to no bathtub floor. However, the style of seaming makes unnecessary.

The rain fly sits about 12" or maybe a bit more, above the top, making for great air flow. Absolutely none of that "muggy" feeling in the mornings that you get with most tents. I always hated that blankets felt damp and needed aired, with our other tents.

This tent is easier set up than our camper, so we take it on weekend trips or when we are going to more rugged places. I've been very happy with it. Bushnell, as well as the other brands mentioned, make smaller versions of instant tents if this is larger than you wanted to have. We paid $300 for it, but now is a bit cheaper but comes as a bundle with 2 queen air mattresses and 4 chairs - a very good deal. Click here.

This first photo is when we timed our first set-up out of the box. I think it was just around 2 minutes ... but that was without the rain fly. DH put all those guy lines out, but they are completely unnecessary, and I was annoyed that he didn't leave them in their perfect little bundles. We have never put them out since.

TaDqAow.jpg

Without rain fly:

kfqP5Bi.jpg

Camping:

jyfq9LK.jpg

Inside - this is one room, has porta potty at foot of bed and space for nightstand with queen sized air mattress.

X0e0pQO.jpg

Whatever you decide to go with - for ease of set-up and break down - I highly recommend an instant tent. Good luck!
Thanks! We have a four person instant tent and love the ease of set up! It is only two adults and a 4 year old, so we are just looking for something bigger than our four person tent for longer camping trips. The four person is great for quick weekend trips, but we want something more comfortable for longer trips!

Thanks! We have a four person instant tent and love the ease of set up! It is only two adults and a 4 year old, so we are just looking for something bigger than our four person tent for longer camping trips. The four person is great for quick weekend trips, but we want something more comfortable for longer trips!

Glad you are already familiar with instant tents. They are seriously the best thing that ever happened to tent camping. Back in the day, when our kids were little, we spent so much time setting up a tent to accommodate all 6 of us! It took hours!

Currently, we use this tent even when it's just DH and I. Sometimes one of our sons will go. I personally don't think it's too big for 3 people. We use the center room as a "living room" area in case of bad weather, or just to store stuff, and the two ends as bedrooms.

Here is a smaller one of the same.

What state do you live in? The only problem this tent runs cool, so may not be the greatest for colder states. We have used it in the FL summer and never needed to use the air conditioning.

Last edited:
Glad you are already familiar with instant tents. They are seriously the best thing that ever happened to tent camping. Back in the day, when our kids were little, we spent so much time setting up a tent to accommodate all 6 of us! It took hours!

Currently, we use this tent even when it's just DH and I. Sometimes one of our sons will go. I personally don't think it's too big for 3 people. We use the center room as a "living room" area in case of bad weather, or just to store stuff, and the two ends as bedrooms.

Here is a smaller one of the same.

What state do you live in? The only problem this tent runs cool, so may not be the greatest for colder states. We have used it in the FL summer and never needed to use the air conditioning.
I'm going to check this out! We live in SC, so not worried about cold weather! My pre schooler likes to play in the tent, hence the need for something bigger. Plus, it would be nice to give him his own sleeping space instead of his air mattress butted right up to ours, lol!

I want to book a trip at the Fort someday but it will either be in a cabin or RV (don't have one at the moment). I can't imagine staying in a tent. Well, i can imagine it.. it would be fun but i don't sleep well on those air mattress'.. especially over the course of a week.. maybe a night or two!

REALLY? No AC in the Florida Summer in a TENT? Wow.

Is there an opening in the tent for an AC?

Yep, we always bring a window unit that we place on a metal stand. In the past, we have always needed to sleep. With this tent, it never came out of the van all summer. The tent may have been warm during the day, but always very comfortable at night. We only used a fan on summer nights.

There is no official a/c port in this tent. However, there are two screened vents - one on each end. On one, I cut the seam on each side and put Velcro on it. There is a screen there, but tried out the a/c at home and worked fine through the screen. Had we ended up using the a/c with the tent, I would have removed the screen and sewed in a boot that closed with draw string or elastic. Just never had to do it.

Ironically, when we camp in our camper in the summer, we run the a/c all night. It gets hotter in there.

We have a Sierra designs yahi annex 6+2 for 4 kids and 2 adults. We love our tent. Full fly that keeps you perfectly dry when it is pouring outside but still allows for great ventilation. In the beginning we all slept on one side of the divider and used the other side to play games etc but now as the kids are older, we have us on one side and kids on the other. It can be used as one huge room. It is a little more expensive than normal tents but having used it in all weather and even just me and the kids, it is perfect. I love how the full fly allows for show removal outside the tent and they do not get wet. It is also not too heavy for a car tent so we can even fly with it. Good luck in the jungle!

Ask around for ones that are the most waterproof, You can always waterproof but that didn't always work in our tent camping days. We had a small Coleman that we put my nephew and gf in as we had a small B+ RV with minimal room, and had a monsoon type situation in Hershey PA where it rained so badly that night that he woke up with small rivers running everywhere, things floating all over, and he barely noticed, not one drop of rain inside and that was without any waterproofing.

We have loved our small 4 person Coleman as well! Never had rain issues! Looking at an 8 person cabin type tent that Coleman makes.

years ago someone recommended the Eureka copper canyon 12 person tent and I'm glad they did. It's very large when set up (15 minutes by myelf), small and lightweight enough to put in a large duffle and fly it down, and last Easter it was worth more than its weight in GOLD during the torrential downpours- not one drop of rain got in and though it was covered on top with spanish moss and sticks, there was absolutely no damage. I bought a second one for future use when friends come along.

years ago someone recommended the Eureka copper canyon 12 person tent and I'm glad they did. It's very large when set up (15 minutes by myelf), small and lightweight enough to put in a large duffle and fly it down, and last Easter it was worth more than its weight in GOLD during the torrential downpours- not one drop of rain got in and though it was covered on top with spanish moss and sticks, there was absolutely no damage. I bought a second one for future use when friends come along.

I have this one as well and love it! It stayed up in 35 MPH winds at the beach campground. Not a drop inside but several times I got up to check the ez up thingy we had and it stayed up also, but we had both anchored well as we knew we were going to get wind. I've never put it up but my daughter did it by herself and I didn't even have to help.

Ill second the instant tents. Our is a 6 person tent that we use for 2 people. Always go bigger!

The only downsides of these tents is they pack more bulky and the sides are sort of floppy and loose. But they go up in about 1 minute flat. Im a single momma and can mine up all by myself without breaking a swear. Mine is a Core one. Ozark and Coleman make them too.

Mine's not as big as fort fever's above but same principle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter