New Look for Magicbands is official!

I don't know what the general consensus is going to be, but I am half and half with everything.

On one had, I love the idea of having one puck. Only one ID to link, etc.

On the other hand, I can see the troubles with this idea, not just in losing the puck. If I have a blue puck and want to buy a Haunted Mansion style band, putting a blue puck in a purple band is just going to look weird.

I do like how they will be selling key chain clips. I'm sure they will have more ideas so you can rock your magicband (can we even still call them that?) without having to wear it on your wrist.

I think this is kinda cool, but maybe cause I own 33 of the old style :rolleyes1

However, I think this is going to have to have people shopping in advance of arrival or maybe I don't get it. For example, in the pic is shows 2 Beauty and the Beast bands; one old and one new. The "puck" in the new band is yellow, but I would imagine ANY puck could fit in this band. So, if you chose a yellow puck or band at home as your "freebie" then you can change into the Belle band since it will match. You could also put your red puck in there, but it wouldn't look as seamless. So, would it be fair to say that they will probably sell pucks and bands to coordinate?

I see benefits and drawbacks.

Accessories *should* be a little cheaper (say $14.99 for a new band or a keyring holder instead of $29.99 for the old band) since only the puck has the radio technology now. But Disney is a business so they may not touch price points.

This guarantees that you can use your personalized or limited edition bands if the puck battery dies, just swap in a new puck. I never saw a reason to purchase a magic band with art already on it, as we go once every two years. The advertised lifespan of the internal battery is 3 years, which would last us maybe two trips. So I never saw the point in spending money on something the resort already provided for free. Now I may be more apt to purchase something with character swag on it since I can swap the puck out for a new one if the battery dies.

I don't like that it almost doubles the width on your wrist. I imagine it's heavier too.

Will you still have to hold Mickey Head to Mickey Head or is this new battery more powerful allowing you to just keep your puck in your pocket? (and that was weird typing that sentence)

ooo. I didn't even consider that. Kinda like the way new car keys work?

I like the new option! I hate wearing a MB but would be happy to have a puck in my pocket or on a retractable cord.

Will you still have to hold Mickey Head to Mickey Head or is this new battery more powerful allowing you to just keep your puck in your pocket? (and that was weird typing that sentence)
My guess is yes you will still have to go Mickey to Mickey.

Overall I really like the concept - specifically because it should make having different magic bands (or key chains or whatever) cheaper and thus promote buying more (though get what people are saying about the color mismatch - which may lead me to get a gray "puck" or something more neutral. Would be cool if they came out with a clear option

I think I'd have to actually put one on those to know if the larger size was an issue or not though

It's kinda what I feared..larger (i.e. seems bulkier).

IMHO that's a significant size difference:
upload_2016-11-18_10-21-53.png

I also wonder how quickly those "pucks" will get lost. You have to easily enough get it out if you want to interchange it with the key chain or the band so it doesn't..at least right now..seem as rough and tumble as the other ones. Could you potentially lose the puck on a ride?

View attachment 206780

I also wonder how quickly those "pucks" will get lost. You have to easily enough get it out if you want to interchange it with the key chain or the band so it doesn't..at least right now..seem as rough and tumble as the other ones. Could you potentially lose the puck on a ride?
The puck is held in by watch screws.

I'm thinking they won't increase the range. Keeping it a close range ensures that it is the correct persons band that is getting scanned. If they increase the range they run the risk of a different band getting scanned. Not sure what the problems could really be with that, but I think it's better to play it safe than sorry.

View attachment 206780

It does look a bit wider, which doesn't really bother me, but I know everyone's different. Also, it's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the band will be thinner. So it may be thick where the puck is, but taper off the further it gets. So the elongated width won't add any vertical bulk, but again, this is just basing it on the couple pictures. I could be totally off base.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I wear a Jawbone Up Move with the wrist band accessory.

9268959248414.jpg

I have worn this thing for years, through many physical activities and it has never once popped out. The rubber band around the puck will keep the puck from popping out forwards, and your wrist (and the rubber band around the back of the puck) will keep the puck from popping out backwards.

EDIT: @rteetz really? I feel like it's kind of unnecessary to screw it in. It should just stay in place with the rubber of the band keeping it still.

The puck is held in by watch screws.
Really? Then that wouldn't make it really easy to swap it out. So, if for example on vacation you want to swap out bands, you'd have to have a screwdriver with you or ask a cast member to do it. Is that correct to say?

View attachment 206780

Do you think it appears larger than a wristwatch, for example? I guess if it's lightweight like the new design of the MB's then it wouldn't impact life too much. I thought I saw pucks, or read about it anyway, where they were going to have the time on them, so it would be like wearing a watch. I don't wear watches often, but maybe this was designed to fit more like a watch.

Imo, the risk is probably the same or less as the current design.

Really? Then that wouldn't make it really easy to swap it out. So, if for example on vacation you want to swap out bands, you'd have to have a screwdriver with you or ask a cast member to do it. Is that correct to say?
Yes correct

It does look a bit wider, which doesn't really bother me, but I know everyone's different. Also, it's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the band will be thinner. So it may be thick where the puck is, but taper off the further it gets. So the elongated width won't add any vertical bulk, but again, this is just basing it on the couple pictures. I could be totally off base.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I wear a Jawbone Up Move with the wrist band accessory.

9268959248414.jpg

I have worn this thing for years, through many physical activities and it has never once popped out. The rubber band around the puck will keep the puck from popping out forwards, and your wrist (and the rubber band around the back of the puck) will keep the puck from popping out backwards.

EDIT: @rteetz really? I feel like it's kind of unnecessary to screw it in. It should just stay in place with the rubber of the band keeping it still.
Well my issue is I have small wrists..so not only is weight a concern but also having the sides be like a large watch.....which I don't buy because of my wrists. Any watches I've had in the past have been much smaller ones which usually require 2 or 3 links to be removed. I suppose we'll see though if they stick with this design or adjust it (like they did with the original magicband by making it thinner) by next September when I go. I do think it is interesting that they decided to make the original magic band thinner not too too long ago but then decided to do a 180 and go the opposite way of in a sense that the puck design sticks out more on the sides so I'm really wondering if the puck design is the same weight all around as the thinner magic bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter