• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

11/23 COMPLETE! Course by Course, One By One...A 2016 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Trip Report!

Sunday, November 6: Wine & Dine Half Marathon! Animal Kingdom

Happy!
30245508203_603a330449_z.jpg

Rafiki was out again:
30245509363_b75a506ffc_z.jpg

30844817206_f7b2b0a0bd_z.jpg

And a pretty loop around AK! I love running through this park.
30579741360_9d8427095d_z.jpg

Hooray!
30616720190_c671ca2e89_z.jpg

30249172034_f72d8067f4_z.jpg

Miles of smiles…
30283439004_24fb785a70_z.jpg

Amazing sunrise in Animal Kingdom! I loved this part of the race.
30844818086_2c8329334f_z.jpg

Sunrise over Everest…
30616718420_2f8ec63e8e_z.jpg

We headed through Dinoland...one of the Cast Members was holding my favorite sign of the race: “You are Dino-Mite! I Dig It!”

FoTLK stilt walkers before leaving the park…
30245510033_966508b700_z.jpg

30249170284_d59c8874db_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Sunday, November 6: Wine & Dine Half Marathon! It’s a Duck-blur!

It was time to settle in for the truly crappy part of this course...almost 7 miles until the next park! :faint: Arrrg.

30764762602_f8a964562c_z.jpg

Meeko was out meeting by the train, and I passed him up. During this stretch, runDisney tweeted a photo with characters that I REALLY wanted to stop for, so I made that stop my priority...though I was pretty tempted to stop for the 'munks in flannel. :scratchin

30245526673_5737f654ca_z.jpg

One weird thing happened - can’t remember exactly where on the course, but at about 7AM, everyone’s phones around me went off due to an Amber Alert (I had my ringer off, so I did get the alert but it didn’t make the noise)! :eek: Very surprising, and I hope everything turned out okay.
30792430531_88280daa1d_z.jpg

A mile with no entertainment! Boooo. Really, I was expecting way more through this entire stretch. :mad: It’s the same route as the marathon (except in reverse) and during the marathon there are great character meets here. Not today...mostly cartoon screens.

30844827976_17e59ca762_z.jpg

Mike & Sully were out during this mile...again, I was tempted but passed them up.

I can't remember exactly where this occurred in the race, so I'll just mention it here - one sort of interesting thing was that we passed the area where Disney stores all of their horticulture items, for lack of a better term the topiaries they use during Flower & Garden/the holidays, etc. That was cool to see.

30844828146_336d242010_z.jpg

And then...I heard...IT. :hyper:

Life is like a hurricane
Here in Duckberg
Racecars, lasers, aero-planes
It’s a Duck-blur!

AHHHHHHHH :hyper: :hyper:

I hopped in line! It was huge and I didn’t care! :yay:

This golf cart was next to the line, even though it had nothing to do with the actual characters we were meeting. But...I need this golf cart...I don’t golf, so I’m not sure what I’d use it for, but still.
30579760470_c608020a28_z.jpg

D-d-d-danger lurks behind you
There’s a stranger out to find you!
What to do? Just grab onto some Ducktales!
Oooo-oooo!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
30249187484_03a814955f_z.jpg

8 minutes in this line, totally worth it! :banana: I’d met Darkwing before, but Launchpad was new! And I have had the Ducktales theme in my head ever since, which...this is not a bad thing. :teeth:

We ran past the MK entrance gates, but not under them. Since the part of the course I’d just finished was the marathon course backwards, I felt like I didn’t have a good grip on where I was until I got to mile marker 9.
30844832676_09ef11e12a_z.jpg

This portion of the course - from 9-13.1 - is the same as the WDW/Princess Half courses, so it was comforting to know exactly what was coming next. I knew there was an on-ramp at mile 10, some rolling hills after that (the same rolling highway we’d run on the previous day during the early miles of the 10K), and then Epcot to finish the race.

30792433271_215e5a3711_z.jpg

Since I was staying at the Poly this weekend, I had to stop for Lilo and Stitch!
30249187404_701e935191_z.jpg

30844831496_e335017b3e_z.jpg

On-ramp time!

"WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS, PRIVATE!" Sorry, Sarge!
30245527423_7c20951de2_z.jpg

I did relatively well on the on-ramp...yay!
30579760400_40d12b2969_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Yay! The half is underway!! So glad you were able to get happy as the race went on. Sometimes you just have to get in the groove and it takes a little while. Animal Kingdom, oh how I love you! So awesome to running through there as the sun is coming up. I love all your race shots there. Love that shot of the Tree of Life with the sunrise behind it. Just beautiful!!

Sunday, November 6: Wine & Dine Half Marathon! The Finish!!
I started getting some weird calf pain during the final miles of this race...I think I first noticed it when I was waiting for Lilo and Stitch. :mad: I couldn't tell if it was a cramp, or a strain, or what, but it slowed me down a bit. On my left side, of course, since that’s where the sciatica is/was, sigh...

I got a little sad here because Mr. A was about to board his Magical Express bus to go home. :sad: If I’d gone a little faster, I would have been able to see him first. :( He was very encouraging via text message, though, and we’d see one another tomorrow at home!

It’s hard to tell, but those are the runners ahead of me on the overpass heading into Epcot!
30579759260_678597fe79_z.jpg

30245546723_9c1332e57c_z.jpg

I got a little choked up at this point...this is when it hit me that there was a part of me that really had not been sure I’d be able to finish this race, and this race weekend. A small voice that said I was an idiot for signing up for this, for Dopey, for everything after hurting myself. But now I had just a mile left (well...1.1 miles left), and all in Epcot! :banana: I knew I could finish. And suddenly the smile I had on my face got even stupidly bigger. I decided I gave zero you-know-whats about my time (well...even moreso than usual at a runDisney race :)). And I’m glad I did, because this last mile was a blast! Really may have been one of the happiest ones I have ever run.

It started with Clarabelle and Horace backstage!
30792448631_0762a799a5_z.jpg

I ran into the park and past Spaceship Earth...
30281886373_c52ff703b9_z.jpg

Happiness.
30281887923_d2b715487b_z.jpg

P&F!
30844861576_e8761fee57_z.jpg

And Vacation Genie at the end of the turn...again! Despite the fact that I’d just seen him the previous morning, I stopped again...because why not?! The lines toward the end of these runDisney races are always super short, so I only had to wait about a minute.

While waiting in this line, one of my BFFs texted me to tell me how awesome I was doing and I almost cried because it meant so much that she thought of me. And because I was already feeling alllll the feels!
30245546943_1658eef4cd_z.jpg

And back through Future World...
30283433504_ff5135ed71_z.jpg

30844865856_3f4445ceb0_z.jpg

<3 (Let’s pretend that 1. The heart symbol I was making with my hands actually LOOKED like a heart, and 2. That I actually had it, you know, OVER my heart and not on the wrong side of my body, k? LOL!! It's mile 12.75 or whatever, this was the best I could do!! :rotfl2:)
30281880813_89f591c1ac_z.jpg

Epcot was open to guests by now. CMs had worked out a system to help them cross over the race course...when I went by some people were clapping for us, and most seemed like they were patiently waiting, but I guess other runners encountered some rudeness at this point from people who didn’t want to wait. :rolleyes2 Sigh.
30792450931_1055508096_z.jpg

Gospel choir!!
30245551583_13af00b4b0_z.jpg

Mile Marker 13!! OH YEAH!! :yay:
30881064145_ec06a08e9b_z.jpg

And the finish!!
30249214494_82ab2a5d38_z.jpg

"Enough, I’m done!!"
30281865593_35c22fc7b9_z.jpg

I really cannot explain what it mean to me to be able to do this. It’s hard to put into words how hard this year has been for me, but after this weekend, I feel like I have turned a corner - physically, yes, but moreso, mentally. Completing these races gave me confidence going forward that I’ll be myself again, and that feeling was priceless. :)

...don’t get me wrong, I’m still nervous for Dopey (because, you know, there’s a freaking marathon at the end of it!), but I do feel a little better about it. :)

Shiny!
30579827560_4fb53b37ae_z.jpg

30881094875_5060db27f5_z.jpg

I was pretty zonked out at the end of this race - physically and emotionally, I think I was just spent. :faint: While waiting in line to get my challenge medal, the guy behind me accidentally bumped my arm and I didn’t feel it at all - I had no idea what happened until he apologized. Yeah, time for some food and rest! ::yes::

But first...more bling! :cool1:
30881094305_90204794fe_z.jpg

30881096075_d212439e29_z.jpg

Up next - post-race aches, pains, FOOD and medal photoshoots!

Last edited:

Yay! The half is underway!! So glad you were able to get happy as the race went on. Sometimes you just have to get in the groove and it takes a little while.
Yeah, apparently my attitude needed a 3-mile warm-up! :rotfl2:
Animal Kingdom, oh how I love you! So awesome to running through there as the sun is coming up. I love all your race shots there. Love that shot of the Tree of Life with the sunrise behind it. Just beautiful!!
That seriously was the highlight of the race for me, running through that park (with the Epcot portion as a close second - the in-park portions were the best, what a shock!). But seriously, Animal Kingdom at sunrise was such a treat. If I hadn't adjusted my attitude before entering the park, just being there at that time of the morning would have done it. It was beautiful. Really may be my favorite park to run through.

A HUGE congratulations to you for your half marathon and whole weekend challenge! I'm really glad you ended up enjoying the race too! You got some great pictures (like always!). And I totally wouldn't freaked out with Ducktales, that is my childhood every afternoon right there! :)

1. Awesome job!
2. You didn't see Launchpad during the 2013 marathon? I totally have a picture with him, and if I wasn't so zoned out because of the sickness and heat and miles and miles and miles of highway, I would have sung the theme song to him! DuckTales is my favorite cartoon. I don't think he had a line at all during the marathon. Darkwing is awesome though! I've never seen him.
3. I know what you mean about crying. When I saw my brother and SIL during the marathon at mile 25, I almost cried. I was so worn down, so flu-ish, and my feet hurt so bad (and they had transportation issues so I hadn't seen any of my family at all during the race), that I just wanted to stop and hug them and cry!

I really cannot explain what it mean to me to be able to do this. It’s hard to put into words how hard this year has been for me, but after this weekend, I feel like I have turned a corner - physically, yes, but moreso, mentally. Completing these races gave me confidence going forward that I’ll be myself again, and that feeling was priceless. :)

So happy for you! Being in a good place mentally makes all the difference in the world. I was really nervous about IMFL until right before the start when @Keels told me there was no crying on race day. After that, I knew I could do it. You're in the same good place for Dopey. :)

Way to go! What an accomplishment and way to get back in to a positive mind frame! Great pics as usual!!if it wasn't for trip reports like yours I would have never starting running!!

Your comments about Ducktales made me remember this memory that popped up on Facebook for me!

upload_2016-11-22_11-53-30.png

I still love it, lol!

Great job on your weekend! So happy that you are back (or almost back) to where you were with your running and that you get to keep participating in races! I know I have told you before but your trip reports and comments are what really got me into this runDisney thing, lol! So keep it up girl, you are inspiring people that you don't even know about! :) :)

A HUGE congratulations to you for your half marathon and whole weekend challenge! I'm really glad you ended up enjoying the race too! You got some great pictures (like always!).
Thank you! :yay:
And I totally wouldn't freaked out with Ducktales, that is my childhood every afternoon right there! :)
Right?! Did you hear it's coming back?? They'd better use the same, flawless theme song! ::yes::
1. Awesome job!
Thanks!!
2. You didn't see Launchpad during the 2013 marathon? I totally have a picture with him, and if I wasn't so zoned out because of the sickness and heat and miles and miles and miles of highway, I would have sung the theme song to him! DuckTales is my favorite cartoon. I don't think he had a line at all during the marathon. Darkwing is awesome though! I've never seen him.
I did not - I did see Darkwing. I think he and Launchpad were switching out!
3. I know what you mean about crying. When I saw my brother and SIL during the marathon at mile 25, I almost cried. I was so worn down, so flu-ish, and my feet hurt so bad (and they had transportation issues so I hadn't seen any of my family at all during the race), that I just wanted to stop and hug them and cry!
Yeah, I feel like I cry/get choked up at least once per runDisney race weekend. It's like a weird tradition...I 100% would have cried if I ran the marathon with the flu. :hug:
So happy for you! Being in a good place mentally makes all the difference in the world. I was really nervous about IMFL until right before the start when @Keels told me there was no crying on race day. After that, I knew I could do it. You're in the same good place for Dopey. :)
"No crying on race day!" I need to remember that!

Thanks John, I appreciate it! :) I do feel better for Dopey, but man, 26.2 freaking miles...:eek:
Way to go! What an accomplishment and way to get back in to a positive mind frame! Great pics as usual!!if it wasn't for trip reports like yours I would have never starting running!!
Thanks so much!! I appreciate that. :)
Your comments about Ducktales made me remember this memory that popped up on Facebook for me!

View attachment 207260

I still love it, lol!
I knew I liked you. ::yes::
Great job on your weekend! So happy that you are back (or almost back) to where you were with your running and that you get to keep participating in races!
Thanks! I have definitely made a lot of progress but there are days when it is still very overwhelming (my long run this past weekend was one of them...:eek:). But overall I am happy with where I am now!
I know I have told you before but your trip reports and comments are what really got me into this runDisney thing, lol! So keep it up girl, you are inspiring people that you don't even know about! :):)
That is really nice to hear (read)...thank you so much for saying that, :)
Thank you for this great Trip Report, cannot wait to read your Dopey Trip Report.
Thanks for reading! :) Hopefully the Dopey report will have a happy ending, too.

Ugh so these were my comments after the 10k still sitting here not posted weird...

That's so funny that someone said I wonder where they got those big lanyards! That makes me wonder how much people would pay for a medal like that.
I just saw this morning someone selling on ebay the 10k, half and Lumiere's challenge medals all for $100, wonder if anyone actually will buy them.

We were at MK too and got there in the afternoon as we were in AK for the morning after the 10k, and it was CRAZY on Main St. with all the Cubs fans. After a few rides and snacks, we left via the side street exit so you know it's crowded when they open that up.

We didn't do the food & wine kiosks until the Tuesday after the races for lunch and it wasn't bad at all. I don't enjoy the drunkytown at night either.

That Remy picture is like Christmas card worthy :)

And for your half - way to go and get back in a happy place. Injuries suck, especially when they linger, so I get the getting down so am happy to read you finished happy. That's a lot of happy there for ya!

I find it funny they play the DuckTales themed for Darkwing Duck as he isn't in Ducktales, I mean Launchpad crosses over so I suppose it works. I was pretty happy with the half course overall, but yeah more entertainment is always welcome as well as more park time. I heard Star Wars music at one marker too, and my brothers did too, we figured they must have left it in the loop on accident, oops.

The amber alert scared the crap out of me for sure, at first I was like what is that, oh it's my phone duh!

Again, great job having fun, as that is what counts! You will do amazing at Dopey!

Congratulations on a great half-marathon. I'm so glad to hear that even with the strange calf pain that you are in a good place again with running. I'm happy that this race weekend really gave you some renewed confidence for your Dopey run. You will do great!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheer2::banana: Great job!!!

I loved all of your photos. Jealous of Clarabella cow - she was on break when we went through.

Darkwing was my must do too! I got so excited when I saw the plane!!! I hope they are out in January as well.

Great update, and congrats again!!!

HIGH FIVE - LOUD CHEERS - WAVES CONGRATS SIGN - DOUBLE HIGH FIVE
(that's me if I were there.)

Awesome that you got through what you were unsure you could get through...and with a smile! I made notes again...but I have literally no idea what half of them mean (I blame my cold medecine) so I'll do my best here.

Mr. R is going to copycat Mr. A and take a shot at the 10k next year. He saw the Remy medal and said that it looked awesome. I think he'd rather run through Epcot than any other park. Woo hoo.

I think someone already said the coffee thing...about taking it right before your nap. So I'll just say that I agree. If you ever get a chance to do V&A (maybe you already have)...their crazy coffee contraption was one of my favorite meal events ever. I highly reccommend.

I had someone at the dessert table of chef mickey's ask me if my Pluto plastic 5k medal came with the meal. They were excited until I burst their balloon.

The only thing I love more than Caprese salads would be eating one with GIANT hunks of cheese in Epcot. So that's immediately going on the bucket list. Thank you very much.

Ok, I can't remember....Via Napoli pizza at Epcot = GOOD, Napolini Disneyland = BAD...Did I get that right?

Is it just me or does the Wine N Dine mile marker pictures seem extremely dated. Like they came from a 1992 brochure on hotel catering? If I'm at Disney I want cute chipmunks posing with the worldy cuisine at the very least. Wish they would of made it a lil more "disney."

You are very photogenic and you weren't making a "heart" with your hands, you were making an epcot golf ball - obviously!

Looking forward to your post race stuff. I have my heart set on the Christmas 5k next year (animal kingdom and holiday stuff, yes please) but I'm not overly excited about the half...even though it would earn me the coast to coast...is that blasphemous? I'm sure I'll waffle over that for a long while.

Congrats! I saw you somewhere between Animal Kingdom and Duck Tales (I mentioned this in the race thread). I actually recognized you from behind just by your race outfit haha.

I completely understand the mental aspect of completing the race. That's what got me through the challenge as well. I barely trained (part laziness, part being careful with my knee) so I relied completely on past experience to know that I could do it and that I could also handle a decent amount of pain while doing it :upsidedow. With that said, I was feeling marathon-level hurt near the end of this and after the race. Definitely out of shape!

Nope! No crying on Race Day! Or at least until the finish!

Cursing, though ... cursing is totally allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter