my one complaint regarding AKL...

LvsTnk - I guess that great Tink minds think alike. It only took two good sprayings of Lysol (which I always carry when traveling, having a DD 8- okay, and being a minor germaphobe), to drive my smoking balcony neighbor (BWI) to put out his cigarette when we came out on our balcony. To his defense, maybe he hadn't thought about it before. We too came to a mutual understanding, no words exchanged, all was peaceful in the world. ;)

.. My confirmation letter for AKL says: guaranteed nonsmoking room. When I made the reservation I was very clear that I was travelling with someone who is extremely sensitive to smoke. She stated to me,that because it was considered a medical reason,I was guaranteed a nonsmoking room. So,wassup with that?????

CJ

I think you have an excellent chance of getting a non smoking room if you specify that someone in your party has an actual allergy. This does not I take it guarantee that you won't get some smoke from the outside (ie balcony)

I stayed at DAKL in May and June of this year. Both times I was reminded at check-in while I signed the waiver that smoking was not allowed on the balconies.

I can see where some confusion can occur when asking several different Cast Members. Several CMs may have worked at other resorts where the policies are different.

When I stayed in my Savannah room in May, we never smelled or had to deal with smoke of any kind when we sat on our balcony. So it isn't an issue every time. If the resort's policy is indeed "no smoking on the balconies," the resort should ask those who are smoking to stop. If you are not reminded of this policy at check-in, I would ask if that is indeed the policy of DAKL. If it is, and you are bothered by people smoking on their balconies, I would call the front desk. They should ask those guests to stop, and hopefully they will...

Originally posted by airhead
.. My confirmation letter for AKL says: guaranteed nonsmoking room. When I made the reservation I was very clear that I was travelling with someone who is extremely sensitive to smoke. She stated to me,that because it was considered a medical reason,I was guaranteed a nonsmoking room. So,wassup with that?????

CJ

We have also had guaranteed NS rooms before and been given NS room that had been heavily smoked in. Even though the room is listed as NS will not prevent guests from smoking in them.

Originally posted by Sammie
The problem is smokers book NS rooms as many do not smoke inside due to their spouses or kids, but they do smoke on the balconies and patios or right outiside the doors on the landings. [/B]

Actually, the problem is sometimes when smokers book certain views at certain resorts and ask for a smoking room they are not told that the rooms in that category are nonsmoking only.

We booked a waterview at the BWI for December and asked for a smoking room. The reservation was taken and I wasn't told that all waterview rooms at BWI are nonsmoking. Only after reading on these boards that there are no smoking waterview rooms that I called them about it (had to call CRO and BWI front desk at least twice) and they told me to smoke on the balcony. If it weren't for these boards we would have shown up and not known.

We've since switched to concierge, where there are decent views that allow smoking, although not waterview which is our preference. But since smoking isn't allowed in waterview rooms and we are smokers, it's not fair to others and I surely don't want to compromise others' enjoyment because of my little nasty habit.

..(if we were put in a NS room that someone smoked in) I would immediately be on the phone for a room change. No doubt about it....
I think they should have an enclosed lounge for smokers. That way,they can enjoy their smokes and we can breathe!! Everyone would be happy!!!!

CJ

Originally posted by tink44
LvsTnk - I guess that great Tink minds think alike. It only took two good sprayings of Lysol (which I always carry when traveling, having a DD 8- okay, and being a minor germaphobe), to drive my smoking balcony neighbor (BWI) to put out his cigarette when we came out on our balcony. To his defense, maybe he hadn't thought about it before. We too came to a mutual understanding, no words exchanged, all was peaceful in the world. ;)

DS had been very ill the year before at WDW and I wasn't going through that again ( Celebration ER was not the best choice for us).I am glad it worked out for you too!:D

lulu71, that was very considerate of you, and I am sure that is what happened to the guest next to me as I was told she is a repeat guest (not because I complained). There are some very nice views in smoking rooms, where you on the 4th floor?

I just posted a new thread about the smoking policy at AKL. I was told at check in that there was no smoking permitted on ANY balcony at AKL. I had a pool view smoking optional room and I did not smoke on the balcony. I didn't notice anyone smoking on any balcony but some guy did come out on his balcony and started playing his guitar and singing. I think one of the savannah guides reported him.

That sounds dreadful. I would have either asked them to refrain while I was out there or I would have called the front desk. That's uncalled for.

Isn't there a new smoking policy in Florida? I heard mention of it but I don't know the details. But I hope they are strict! I think folks have every right to smoke and I think they should have smoking rooms for them. But I have evey right NOT to smoke or to deal with it. I have severe allergies and my husband has asthma. We can't deal with it. And shouldn't have to.

We've stayed at several Disney resorts, and I'll have to say we've never had the problem of people smoking on their balcony. Lucky I guess.

PamNC

Originally posted by LvsTnk
lulu71, that was very considerate of you, and I am sure that is what happened to the guest next to me as I was told she is a repeat guest (not because I complained). There are some very nice views in smoking rooms, where you on the 4th floor? [/B]

Good to hear about the nice views in smoking rooms. This is for our upcoming December trip, so I'm not sure where we'll be. I wasn't all that interested in concierge level, but I wanted to make sure we didn't get a parking lot view in a standard view room...especially since we're checking in on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I understand all concierge rooms overlook the quiet pool, which is fine with me.

I am sorry I thought you had been there already. I hope you have an AWESOME trip as you can see BW is one of our favorites!:D

Jackie, Scott, and Don are just great. My DS still keeps in touch with a girl Jackie introduced him to Christmas before last. They even got to see each other last Christmas at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter