• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Big Fat Disney Solo Weekend: April 2015 Trip Report - COMPLETED

Too bad about the traffic...but hooray for arriving! My drive would be 20+ hours, so it has to be a plane for us (which the crew and I will be boarding in about 54 days):-). Dinner looks amazing.
Your 54 days will pass SO fast, omg, how exciting!!!

following along !!
Yay! And welcome! :wave2:

Yay for the upgrade, but really ... how hard is it to have the car ready when its supposed to be?
That's what I'm saying, dude!!! ::yes::

Maybe it's because I don't drive, but ... sounds good to me :)
Hahaha, thanks for supporting my bad habits! :laughing:

Holy cow. That's a lot of cars not moving.
It was. It really really was. :faint:

Yay for the restaurant being okay with you being late.
Yes! I really lucked out! :thumbsup2

I actually love being there right when restaurants close ... it's so much quieter, and if they don't rush you, you really get a chance to enjoy it.
I agree, I really enjoyed how much less crazy and hectic it was at that hour! I just wish a few of the customers would have lingered a bit longer with me so I could have gotten more coffee tarts. :laughing:

So, when do we get to see a picture of you with the new ears?
I'm actually thinking of getting those puffy bow ears on my next trip...
I wore them on Sunday at AK and Epcot! There will be pictures, I promise! :earsgirl:

Other than the car & traffic issues, sounds like a good arrival night!
Yeah, it had it's stressful points, but it most certainly could have been a lot worse! :goodvibes

I'm so glad that they gave you an upgrade on the car Billie. I suspect that if I lived within a 5 hour time frame, I'd be finding about 12 excuses per year to make the drive down! As it is, from Alberta it usually ends up being about 12 hours of air travel with a layover in Toronto, so I'm going to have to settle for longer, less frequent trips until that lottery comes through for me. Until then, you're becoming my favorite Disney hero!
Even living as close as I do, I still can only afford to go once a year, twice if I'm super duper lucky. Someday hopefully that will change, and I'll be able to get an AP and do several little trips throughout the year! :cutie:

Yay! So excited that you started this! Your TRs are the best! :goodvibes
Thanks! And I'm so happy you're here with me! :hug:

You have some serious upgrade luck!! A nice, comfy car makes the road trip more tolerable, I'm sure!
It certainly helps, that's for sure! :thumbsup2

Oh, Billie. Traffic is just the worst on a normal day. But when you're trying to make it to your happy place? Nightmare! :headache:
Yeah, it was no bueno. I'm used to hitting some traffic on the way down, that's why I booked my ADR for so late. But this is the first time it's ever taken me SEVEN HOURS to make a 5 hour trip. :mad:

Dinner at Boma sounds delicious! I've heard great things about the zebra domes, too! We're renting DVC points at AKL next trip so I know Boma will be a must do but I'm thinking breakfast on our rest day. But I think Mara has zebra domes too and I know we'll swing by there a few times.
The Mara DOES have them! They come in a 4-pack in their grab-and-go section. Also, if you were to order room service, they offer a "Taste of Africa" dessert sampler with a Zebra Domes, a Coffee Tart, and a Fruit Tart. YUM. :p

Can't wait to hear about your Magic Kingdom day!
It's coming, it's coming! It will probably get broken down into a few posts. :o

Ugh!! I run into the same issue every time with Enterprise!! Glad you got the upgrade though!
OMG, they do this crap to you too? Ugh! I mean, I'm glad they upgrade me, and they're always very good to me... In only they'd have a care ready when I show up, I'd have nothing but good things to say about them! :rolleyes:

Boo for traffic! It's the absolute worst getting through one traffic jam just to hit another one!
It was pretty much a nightmare. :scared:

So glad you were able to make your ADR! I agree a cocktail was definitely in order.
That cocktail pretty much fixed everything. :cutie:

Looking forward to following along on the rest of your journey!
Thanks! I'm glad you're here! :hug:

I would love to have a 5 hour drive :) We actually live 18+ hours plus stops from WDW and drove 2 of the 3 times we have went, but are flying again this year just to get the extra days at the park. If we are able to go next year though I think we will save the money and drive again :idea:

Can't wait to read the rest of your trip!!
It's great that you have the option to fly or drive, depending on which will work best for your family that year! :thumbsup2

Holy Sheep..... wool.. you had some serious traffic!!! thankfully we don't hit it.. we start the drive about 3 central time. so most of the driving is in the DEAD of the night.. i do mean DEAD night. took us about 16 total hours to get here.
That's definitely the way to do it. I wouldn't have any problem leaving here at 2am and getting there at 7am... if I knew for sure they'd have a bed ready for me. I'd need at least a nap at that point! :faint:

So glad you made it to Boma!! YAY for you!!! i am sure you were ready to hit the bed face first!
You would think so! I actually sleep REALLY poorly when I'm away from home, and it effects my trips badly. I think I got about 2 hours of broken sleep each night. :guilty: I'm probably going to write about this in my December PTR soon, because I need to come up with a solution before the next trip. :rolleyes:

Holy traffic, Batman! I probably would have exploded in the car :scared1::scared:
I very nearly did. It wasn't a good look for me. :headache:

Thankfully you got there safe and had what looks like a great meal at Boma! Can't wait to read more :)
My dinner at Boma was DELICIOUS, and definitely worth the stress to get there! :-)

What's up enterprise?!!? Get your act together--this chick is headed to Disney and needs to hit the road!!!
Seriously!!! :laughing:

That traffic! It makes me crazy!
You and me both, girl! :scared:

I'm so glad you made it and got to have your yummy dinner! Yay, valet parking!
The Valet parking was a life saver, for real. Totally worth the $22 bucks! :thumbsup2

Oy the traffic!! I would be super stressed about potentially missing my ADR. It's awesome that they were cool with you being late. Must put Boma on my "to do" list for our next trip ::yes::
You MUST do Boma next time! It's so super delicious! :goodvibes

The zebra domes.....mmmmmmmmmm we were able to partake in them when we had dinner at the QS there. AKL is amazingly beautiful.
It's a GORGEOUS resort. I was lucky enough to stay there once, when somebody else was paying. :laughing: But it was definitely an awesome experience!

Nice ride they upgraded to you!
I loved that car. I nearly cried when I turned her back in. :sad:

BTW, love the face paint in your new avatar pic! So pretty!
Thank you! I love it! The full size pic will come later in this TR! :cutie:

Girl you are the gif queen .....love them!
Hahaha, thanks! I try to be entertaining. :D

Hi Billie. Ugh! I'm sorry you had to deal with so many delays. It's great that you were upgraded to the nicer car but nothing good about that traffic. :sad2: At least you still made it to dinner. :thumbsup2
Yes, making it to that delicious dinner made it all worth it. And the upgrade didn't break my heart, either! :laughing:

It is great to live 5 hours from Orlando but it would be nice to have the option to fly if you wanted to. That beverage looks delish. It must have been nice after the long, stressful drive.
That rum runner totally hit the spot after after having my stress levels maxed out for the last hour plus. And it was sooooo tasty, too! :drinking1

If it wasn't so far away from everything I'd love to stay there.
I stayed there several years back, and I didn't mind the distance. But then again, I'm used to staying Value/Moderate, so taking the buses across the property to get anywhere is no big deal to me. I love my stay at AKL! ::yes::

I'm here reading along!!! Great report so far!! That drive looked a bit painful...but still you are lucky to be able to drive there - though I totally understand wanting to not have to be the one driving...hate driving...especially in Florida lol. BUT...just a question - do they have busses or trains or anything from where you live to Orlando? Just a thought....Anyway...looks like you got a great ride and made it there for your ADR so that's all that matters!! Looking forward to hearing the rest - I'm THISCLOSE to booking a trip at the POFQ for October....so I can't wait to hear more about it on your TR!!
Hi, Kathy! :wave2: Nope, no good bus or train options either. So at least I get a nice comfy rental car for the trip. And on my next one, in December, my uncle will be doing the driving, so I'll get to kick back for that one. :thumbsup2 And I LOVED my stay at POFQ. The only reason I'm not going back anytime soon is I'm trying not to do any repeats until I've stayed at every resort. But if it was my only option, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It was lovely! :goodvibes

Yeah... I always say, Good Luck sleeping on Disney Departure day. It's scientifically impossible.
I dunno, I read TRs all the time about people oversleeping for their flights! Why can't I be like that, huh? :rotfl:

I am so ridiculously envious of people within driving distance of Disney. Cheaper, and more or less on your own schedule. Of course, I am also envious of those who have year round direct flights too. So yeah, just overall really envious I guess.
The grass is always greener... Am I right? :P

I-4. Issues? Never. :rolleyes2
Tell me about it. :sad2:

I am already a fan of your dinner choice because... Stacey. :love:
Different Stacey, silly. :lmao:

Oh lord ain't it the truth. I don't think people quite realize how cheap the off property hotels are. But especially when it's just a quick one nighter. I say, save the bucks.
Yep! As late as I was getting into town that night, and as early as I was starting the next day, it just made better sense for me to grab a $30 Kissimmee room, versus as $145 Disney room for that night, then head over to POFQ the next morning and check in for the rest of my stay. ::yes::

Hey Billie! I didn't realize you had a bonus weekend at WDW! How cool is that? POFQ is one of our favorite resorts and I hope you loved it too. Can't wait to hear how your weekend went. :)
I really DID love POFQ! It was wonderful! And I'm so glad you found my new TR! :hug:

Sorry to hear about the nightmare "commute"!
I was sorry to experience it! But it all turned out okay in the end. :cutie:

Can't wait to hear about your resort... I'm getting so tempted to book a short solo trip now, ha!
Doooo eeeeet! Solo trips are AMAZING!!! :goodvibes

Big, fat, weekend, that means I'm so in ; )

Sorry for the rocky start. Looks like its all on the upswing though.
Yay! Hi, Kari! :hug: So glad you're here!

DAY 2
April 25th, 2015 - Saturday

Check-In @ Port Orleans French Quarter / Arrival at Magic Kingdom

After a lot of tossing and turning, I finally drifted off a little bit. I probably got about 2 hours of real sleep each night of this trip... I was exhausted! Going to have to look into some solutions for the next trip to help me actually sleep at night. :scared:

Anyhow, I digress... I got up and got myself ready to go, nibbled on a rice krispy treat and a Starbucks bottled coffee I'd brought with me, and then I was back in the car and headed to my next hotel. It was a relatively easy drive, and before very long at all, I was pulling up at...

pofq.jpg

I grabbed my bags, checked them in at Bell Services because I knew there's no way I'd have a room at 7:30am, and I needed to stop there anyhow to pick up my ECV. I was a little upset when I saw it, as when I made the reservation, I specifically asked for one of their newer models, as having such limited time over the weekend, I didn't want any problems. However, the ECV was obviously from their older stock. Sigh. But I figured it's just 2 days, I'll make do.

From there, I proceeded to check-in, expecting to be quick & easy... Boy, was I wrong. :sad2:

I get up to the desk and she tells me that their computers are completely down. :confused3

They can't do ANYTHING. She can't check me into the system, can't activate my dining plan, can't set up my room charge account, NOTHING. Told me if I wanted to use my Dining Plan, I'd have to pay for the meals myself, then bring them the receipt and they'd reimburse me. If I wanted link a CC to the room for charging, I'd have to come back and do it once the systems came back up. They took all my information, and said they'd check me into the system and assign my room once they were functional again, and would text me to let me know.

12B1fEomtueIx2.gif

Keeping mind I'm only staying for 2 nights, and am trying to fit a LOT into that time, I really really didn't have time for this. I was trying to remain calm, but I guess my displeasure was apparent. Because the next thing I know...

She hands me a FREE 1-Day Park Hopper ticket, to go play and have fun, on them. For the inconvenience. :eek:

5GLYZb5W5SnPG.gif

Now, my 2 days in the parks were already being covered through comp tickets I would be picking up at MK (through a travel agent arrangement via my office). So now I had THREE days worth of tickets to spend over the weekend! :hyper: And I very very seriously considered doing a half-day on Monday, then driving home. (In the end though, I decided to just use the free day from the resort, and one of the two 1-Day comp tickets I would pick up later, hang onto the other... so now I have a free day linked to my account to use when I'm ready!) :thumbsup2

Once all that was done, I headed over to the food court to find me some REAL food!

20150425_085620-1.jpg

It was pretty crazy busy, but I expected that, as it was peak breakfast time...

20150425_085228-1.jpg

I ordered my breakfast, grabbed a table, and tucked in!

20150425_084119-1.jpg

20150425_084134-1.jpg

After reading so much about them on the Dis, I just HAD to try the beignets! Of course, my full review of Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory can be found on my Dining Report, located by clicking HERE!

Once my belly was full, it was time to find the temporary bus stop. POFQs real bus stop is under refurb right now, so they have a makeshift one set up with tents and benches and potted plants. I meant to take a pic, but forgot. Whoops! :headache:

It wasn't but a few minutes before a Magic Kingdom bus pulled up, I loaded the ECV in, and we were on our way! :cutie:

I got to MK and beelined it to the Will Call windows, and picked up my two Comp 1-Day Hoppers. As soon as I had them in my hot little hands, I pulled up my MDE account on my phone, and linked them both as well as the one from the resort to my MagicBand, then got a bit of a run around but finally found the right person to talk to as far as setting up the priority to assign to the tickets. (I also have a 5-Day Hopper on my account also that I didn't want touched during this trip.) Once all that was set up, I was through the turnstile and passing under the train station!

On the outside, I was calm and composed, but on the inside, I was like...

LdcZMIzHdMSXK.gif

I was heading down main street, and heard music behind me, and saw that I needed to quickly get to a sidewalk, as a high school band was headed straight for me! :eek: So... I took pictures. I just think 's so cool that Disney affords kids these kind of opportunities.

20150425_0954240-1.jpg

20150425_095447-1.jpg

20150425_095533-1.jpg

Once the band had passed and the PP photographers resumed their places, I stopped for the required Magic Kingdom photo!

20150425_095302-1-1.jpg

I'm heeeeeeere!!! OMG OMG OMG!!! :hyper:

Up Next... More Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Oh man! What a pain in regards to the computers! The free 1 day park hopper more than makes up for it.

And I'm wondering what they're doing to the bus stop. Maybe they're putting in TVs to show real time for busses or something?

Oh man! What a pain in regards to the computers! The free 1 day park hopper more than makes up for it.
It did! And while it stressed me out that morning, it all ended up working out just fine... and I got a free ticket! So basically, combined with tickets I already have stashed, I have enough park hopper days now to cover both my December 2015 and October 2016 trips! :cutie:

And I'm wondering what they're doing to the bus stop. Maybe they're putting in TVs to show real time for busses or something?
From what I understand from somebody who asked a CM about it, they're just replacing the concrete. Nothing very exciting. :sad1:

It did! And while it stressed me out that morning, it all ended up working out just fine... and I got a free ticket! So basically, combined with tickets I already have stashed, I have enough park hopper days now to cover both my December 2015 and October 2016 trips! :cutie:

From what I understand from somebody who asked a CM about it, they're just replacing the concrete. Nothing very exciting. :sad1:
That's great! What do you have planned for your 2016 trip?

That surprises me. Maybe they're adding more benches. It seemed just fine back in Sept.

That's great! What do you have planned for your 2016 trip?
Next year, I've got to lay off the vacations and save up a down payment on a newer car... Mine is literally falling apart on me. So all I'm in doing in 2016 in one 3-night solo trip, October 25-28. MNSSHP on my arrival day, and then two full days in the parks, then head home. Planning on POR in a Royal Guest Room. :cutie:

Last edited:
following along!! :) just read your sept. '14 trip report the other day when I noticed you had this one going on! :)

Next year, I've got to lay off the vacations and save up a down payment on a newer car... Mine is literally falling apart on me. So all I'm in doing in 2016 in one 3-night solo trip, October 23-26. MNSSHP on my arrival day, and then two full days in the parks, then head home. Planning on POR in a Royal Guest Room. :cutie:
Ugh, life! We were planning on splurging and staying at the BC, however DH's car died on us last week and we need a new car. We're also growing our family right now so it looks like it'll need to be an SUV or van. Anyway, long story short, we're back at Pop. It's clean and predictable. The Royal Rooms are super cute! :)

Ugh, computers.....right up there with traffic on the "things that drive me crazy" list. But park hopper ticket-that's awesome!

I was in marching band back in the day but we never got to go to Disney- lucky kids!!

Love the castle pic! You look pretty excited!

Seems like Disney has been having a lot of system issues lately, but I am so glad you got some pixie dust and got the free PH day, makes the troubles easier to deal with :) We are hoping to get a trip in in 2016, but it looks like it will be a shorter trip maybe in late October then because as you know life happens and our budget will be tighter next year.

Computer troubles are frustrating enough at home or work, let alone when you're checking in to Walt Disney World. Sorry :( BUT OMG, FREE 1-DAY PARK HOPPER PASS!!! :stitch::stitch:

Your breakfast looked delicious!

Awww, Billie you look so happy in front of the castle! I can't wait to read more!

YAY for finally arriving. Odd the entire system crashed. But hey its technology, it isn't perfect EVER.. and you got a FREE DAY! how awesome is that?!?!? WO HOOOOOOOO

looking forward to the next installment!!!

Yay!! for arrival day always so exciting. We are considering staying at POR-Riverside for our Spring 2016 trip with the kids...the extra pull down bed would come in very handy :)

following along!! :) just read your sept. '14 trip report the other day when I noticed you had this one going on! :)
Yay, I'm so glad you found me here! Welcome! :wave2:

Ugh, life! We were planning on splurging and staying at the BC, however DH's car died on us last week and we need a new car. We're also growing our family right now so it looks like it'll need to be an SUV or van. Anyway, long story short, we're back at Pop. It's clean and predictable.
I know exactly how that goes, girl. But Pop is GREAT! I stayed there on my Sept 2014 trip, and just loved it! BC would be nice, sure, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is that you're at Disney World! :earboy2:

The Royal Rooms are super cute! :)
I think so, too!!! :cutie: But also a bit pricier than I would like, hence why I'm going to do that room on a shorter trip, just 3 nights. My October 2017 trip will likely be a full week, and I'm planning that one at All-Star Movies, as it's the only Value resort left that I haven't stayed at yet. :thumbsup2

Oh man, not computer problems!
I knowwww! :badpc:

Although, I would perhaps make that bargain if it meant that you had the great weather.
The weather did turn out to be surprisingly peachy. :cutie:

I'm pretty positive that there will be no 2015 trip for me, hoping for spring 2016.
That's a shame! Whenever your next trip is, I do hope you'll do a PTR/TR for it! :-)

Your MK picture looks fabulous, especially after only 2 hours of sleep, my goodness!
Thanks! I was running on coffee and happiness! :D

gh, computers.....right up there with traffic on the "things that drive me crazy" list. But park hopper ticket-that's awesome!
Yeah, the free ticket (which was a $114 value, mind you) kinda made up for it. :P

I was in marching band back in the day but we never got to go to Disney- lucky kids!!
This was just the first of 3 high school bands I ran across that day. I think it's neat! :goodvibes

Love the castle pic! You look pretty excited!
That's because I WAS pretty excited! :hyper:

Seems like Disney has been having a lot of system issues lately, but I am so glad you got some pixie dust and got the free PH day, makes the troubles easier to deal with :)
It certainly helped, that's for sure! :thumbsup2

We are hoping to get a trip in in 2016, but it looks like it will be a shorter trip maybe in late October then because as you know life happens and our budget will be tighter next year.
That's my plan for 2016 too, a short one in late October! :) 3 nights at POR, Oct. 25-28. :hyper:

Computer troubles are frustrating enough at home or work, let alone when you're checking in to Walt Disney World. Sorry :(
The thing that killed me about it felt kinda like: "LOOK AT OUR MYMAGIC+ AND MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE FANTASIC TECHNOLOGY! LINK EVERYTHING TOGETHER ELECTRONICALLY AND EVERYTHING WILL BE SO SMOOTH AND SEAMLESS AND AMAZING! BECAUSE WE'RE DISNEY AND WE'RE THE BEST! ... Oh hello, you're here now? Sorry, our computers are down, and we can't honor any of those promises we made you. Basically, you're screwed. But check back with us later! Have a magical day!" :lmao:

BUT OMG, FREE 1-DAY PARK HOPPER PASS!!! :stitch::stitch:
Yaaaassss! That made me feel MUCH better about the whole thing! :thumbsup2

Your breakfast looked delicious!
It tasted delicious too, dude! :laughing:

Awww, Billie you look so happy in front of the castle! I can't wait to read more!
Because I was SUPER HAPPY! :cutie:

YAY for finally arriving. Odd the entire system crashed. But hey its technology, it isn't perfect EVER..
No joke... But it's Disney! Everything is supposed to be magical and perfect ALWAYS! That's what we pay them the big bucks for, right?! :badpc:

and you got a FREE DAY! how awesome is that?!?!? WO HOOOOOOOO
I did, I did!!! Definitely made me feel a whole lot better about the check-in issues! :thumbsup2

Yay!! for arrival day always so exciting. We are considering staying at POR-Riverside for our Spring 2016 trip with the kids...the extra pull down bed would come in very handy :)
I'm planning on POR for my Fall 2016 trip! And don't forget... some of the newly rennovated CBR rooms have the twin-size murphy bed now, too! :cutie:

"Running on coffee and happiness" - LOL, that sounds like a great motto for every day!
Now that you mention it, that does kinda describe my life in general. :rotfl:

And a potential 2016 trip is not that far away, 10 months at the soonest, and I really can't complain since I will be going to Ireland in July.
IRELAND?! Okay, I felt bad you couldn't go to WDW in 2015, but you no longer have my sympathy. :lmao: Seriously, that sounds AMAZING!!! :eek:

This is a test trip for DH to see if he can tolerate flying, but he did tease me last night about the Diamond celebration at DL, so maybe he is starting to weaken ever so slightly... :-)
Oooooooh! Stay on him about that, start planning a DL trip and be like "But honey, you saaaaid!" :laughing:

Wow you've gotten some major pixie dust action! pixiedust: It stinks that you had to deal with rental car crap and computers at your resort being down but yea for upgrades on the car and FREE park hopper ticket! It just solidifies the fact that you were meant to go at that time instead of a week earlier! And yea for no rain!! All those good vibes getting sent your way really worked!:butterfly
I completely agree with you though, everything should be magical and perfect and when it's not it's like "what the heck???" But you got some good perks to make up for it, at least they tried to make it right :flower2:

Ah the computer age. So wonderful... until it's not. This really shows the chaos that's caused when the computers go down. Helplessness. But YAY for FREE hooper pass!!! :hyper:

WOW!!!! Look at that parade!!! That must be such a thrill for those kids. I saw one on my last December trip, and it seemed to never end. So many of them. Very cool.

Wow you've gotten some major pixie dust action! pixiedust: It stinks that you had to deal with rental car crap and computers at your resort being down but yea for upgrades on the car and FREE park hopper ticket! It just solidifies the fact that you were meant to go at that time instead of a week earlier! And yea for no rain!! All those good vibes getting sent your way really worked!:butterfly
I totally agree, this trip was meant to happen when it did! And all of ya'll from my PTR sending all that pixie dust a good vibes made ALL the difference, I think! :goodvibes

I completely agree with you though, everything should be magical and perfect and when it's not it's like "what the heck???" But you got some good perks to make up for it, at least they tried to make it right :flower2:
Exactly! But yeah, the free ticket totally made up for it. Plus it was resolved by lunchtime (more on that in the upcoming update), so it was fine. :cutie:

Ah the computer age. So wonderful... until it's not. This really shows the chaos that's caused when the computers go down. Helplessness. But YAY for FREE hooper pass!!! :hyper:
Exaaaaactly! I love Disney, and I love technology, and it all works WONDERFULLY... right up until it doesn't. Then it's just a hot mess. :laughing:

WOW!!!! Look at that parade!!! That must be such a thrill for those kids. I saw one on my last December trip, and it seemed to never end. So many of them. Very cool.
Yes! I saw three high school bands in MK that day, and they were all MASSIVE. Like, I don't think I had that many kids in my entire graduating class, much less band kids! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter