• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My AKL Standard Room Review

Carole

Mouseketeer
Just returned from staying at AKL from 13 July - 19 July. I booked a standard room and they upgraded us to a pool room view. My requests had been a non-smoking room with bunk beds. We were in room 3432 which is on the main walkway - a few rooms before the elevator. We loved the room! It was great the kids did not have to share a bed.

I worried about pool and hallway noise but once the balcony doors were closed we did not hear anything from the pool. Occasionally, we heard hall noise when small children would run screaming down the hallway - I blame this on parents for not controlling the kids late at night!

The location was great because it wasn't a long walk to the bus stop, pool or food places. The smells walking back to the room were always heavenly. Several times we walked the hallways to different viewing areas to watch the animals or explore the resort.

Would I book a standard room again - yes!!!!

Just ask if you have any questions!

I booked a standard room at AKL for our vacation next summer.
I also requested nonsmoking and 4th floor (which was printed on my confirmation). We can't wait!!

We were upgraded to pool view at AKL in Feb and we also loved it!!! Being on that side of the hotel puts you close to everything. I also loved sitting on our balcony at night hearing the pool music and watching the swimmers. We're thinking about AKL again for our Feb. 2004 trip.

Glad you had a great time!

Can you see any animals out in the distance behind the pool area from the pool view rooms?

>>^..^<<

If I'am not being to nosey.....what was the price for your standard room? I would love to stay at AKL.

Carole -
Your stay sounds almost identical to ours. We were at AKL July 13-17 - also poolview on the 3rd floor. (I think our # was 3460 -- it was down the first small corridor and on the right.... we may have passed in the hall.) We also were upgraded from standard and had requested bunk beds. Our only other request was to be "centrally located". We loved it and would definitely stay there again. Our housekeeping could have been better, but it was nothing that would influence my decision about booking AKL again.

Winnie 11 -
I'm not Carole, but I don't mind sharing my rate. My family got $114/night plus tax (total of $121 + change) with the AP rate. We were thrilled considering our May 2003 trip was booked last minute and we paid appx. $90.00 / night for All Star Movies.

I'm also booked at AKL for Aug. 1st in a standard view, and I am kind of worried, because I heard that you can kind of see the businesses on 192 through the trees from those rooms, which wouldn't be very magical, but I guess we'll see. If I end up getting one of those rooms, I'll spend time at the other viewing areas I guess. I also got the AP rate, which is darn good for a deluxe, so I can't complain. I just wanted to try it and experience the resort, since I've never even been back in there to look at it.

Winnie11 - I also paid the same price as morrow4 - great deal! I was willing to pay a little more than a moderate because I wanted the bunk beds. With a DD (19) and DS (16), they do not want to share a bed and I hate one of them to sleep on a blow up mattress on the floor.

morrow4 - We probably did pass in the hallway. I wore a lime green ribbon on my bag but never saw any fellow Disers.

>>^..^<< - we could not see any animals from where our room was located but a little ways from our room there were areas to the view the animals. We spent very little time in our room.

freediverdude - I don't believe you can see any businesses from the rooms. The resort seems very isolated - there are the buildings where the animals are feed and checked. The resort is great - it has its own special charm.

Carole

glad you had such a good trip carole:D i had a standard view booked apr27-may4 and was also upgraded to a pool view, room4428 which would have been just above your room. you're right, it was a wonderful place to be and quiet. i really enjoyed my stay at AKL and can honestly say i wouldn't hesitate to book a standard room again, even if i wasn't upgraded next time. i got an ap rate too. i especially enjoyed my coffee each am out at the viewing areas, a wonderful way to start your day:D
katypop

Carole, I loved your room review. It sounds like you had a great vacation. Do you have any photos posted of your room or its view? I would love to see them if you do.

I am so glad to hear that everyone was satisfied with their standard choice! Originally, we had concierge booked for Dec.10, but then had to change it to standard(what a big switch) due to the fact that we will be returning to Poly next August, and couldn't swing the extra cash for AKL! Everyone says,"book the minimum room you are willing to live with". Well, because I have never been to this resort, I have nothing to compare it to. Standard seem sufficient enough, and if I get an upgrade, that would be just magical!:D Should I limit myself by asking for specific items (ie.bunks, no smoking etc.)?

Janet2k - Unfortunately, I took my room view pictures with my regular camera. I will try to scan a couple when I get them developed. One picture I always take at Disney is our room number so I can remember for future trips.

AspiringCindy - There are many differing opinions on how many requests should be made. At AKL, I just requested non-smoking and bunk beds. The first room they were going to assign us to had queen beds but she changed it without any problems. We always arrive early in the day hoping to get better room choices.

Good luck!

just got back a few hours ago - 6 nights at AKL 3 at WL. I am a bit incoherent at the moment from exhaustion. But, I booked a smoking optional standard view at AKL and was upgraded to pool view and got bunk beds also. We were on the giraffe trail which was very convenient to the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter